NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2019 Outlook

Schedule hasn't been that easy... Bengals only had 25 rushing yards vs the 49ers last week. There's some hope ahead against the Bengals next week. If you're going to try to trade him, definitely wait till after that game. If he can't get it done vs the Bengals, then he's a complete disaster. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well I am glad that Hopkins is my WR3 I mean its a good thing I have Mclaurin and Fitzgerald as my WR1 and 2    

Conner a Rotoworlder confirmed.

The above is exactly how Conner owners should be selling high on him. 2019 is going to look a lot different than 2018 in Pittsburgh.  1. Esteemed  O-line coach is gone. 2. Esteeme RB coach i

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Gurley on one leg has three times the talent of James Conner.  That's Conner's problem: he's just not a plus talent.  He was just "Steelers' RB1," a generic holder of what used to be a good role.  Now that the role has lost its luster, you have bust city here.

I'd much, much, much rather have Gurley.

It'll be interesting to see if Samuels starts to get more run.  A lost season tends to result in some experimentation.

I was saying that last week and getting killed for it. Conner is a good talent that looked great when defenses had to worry about Ben/Juju/Brown. Now it's Rudolph/Juju and nothing. 

Conner isn't bad and if the Steelers get ahead against the Bengals this week we may even see a 100 yard performance from him, but I would be unloading all my Conner shares  as fast as possible. 

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

I was saying that last week and getting killed for it. Conner is a good talent that looked great when defenses had to worry about Ben/Juju/Brown. Now it's Rudolph/Juju and nothing. 

Conner isn't bad and if the Steelers get ahead against the Bengals this week we may even see a 100 yard performance from him, but I would be unloading all my Conner shares  as fast as possible. 

I just want to know wtf is wrong with their offensive line???

Munchak left, but his protege took over.  Ok.

No AB - big loss, but we've seen other teams move on after losing a top WR.

Patriots are tough.  Bad luck opening with them.

49ers might have a sneaky good run defense.  Solomon Thomas is a beast at DT.

But the Seahawks aren't anything special against the run, and it was at home.

Steelers need to go out Arians style: pound the rock and throw deep.

I'm a little surprised by all the Conner hate. I have him almost everywhere and am certainly disappointed with the results so far, but Conner isn't just a JAG. He looked great last year - perhaps not quite in the CMC, Barkley, Kamara tier - but certainly in the upper echelon of backs. The results haven't been there, but the Steelers have also faced 3 elite run-stopping units so far. Things should get better as the schedule lightens up. He's still receiving essentially all of the RB touches, leaving him as one of the few true feature backs in the NFL.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
Just now, djmax101 said:

I'm a little surprised by all the Conner hate. I have him almost everywhere and am certainly disappointed with the results so far, but Conner isn't just a JAG. He looked great last year - perhaps not quite in the CMC, Barkley, Kamara tier - but certainly in the upper echelon of backs. The results haven't been there, but the Steelers have also faced 3 elite run-stopping units so far. Things should get better as the schedule lightens up. He's still receiving essentially all of the RB touches, leaving him as one of the few true feature backs in the NFL.

Seriously. Jaylen Samuels had 0 touches.

4 hours ago, atdharris said:

On the bright side, Conner is playing almost every snap and is getting the large majority of carries.

Ahhhh, not really though? He's got the majority 2/3 weeks, and neither of those I would call a 'large' majority - 46%, 55%, and 68% so far this season. If it continues going up and he manages to stay above 70% of snaps then that's not bad, but this is starting to look like it's going to devolve into more and more of a timeshare with Conner topping out at about 65% of the touches, which wouldn't be so bad if this was the offense of years past, but unless they turn things around 65% of this current Pittsburgh offense is going to net you a volatile, mid-to-low-end RB2 at best 😬

1 minute ago, BGDDYKWL said:

He'll go for like 80 and a TD against Cincy next week so that'll calm things down a bit, but the fact remains he'll approach RB10 territory in good matchups and will likely find himself outside the top 20 in bad ones. 

So he’s Frank Gore now? Lol

• Like 1

It is funny that people are now saying Conner has no talent after being hailed as one of the more talented backs in the league last year. As Lev Bell has shown, RBs are a product of their team's system more than anything else. Bell can't do anything this year in the Jets disastrous offense. DJ looked horrible last year. Gurley was a bust in Fisher's offense scheme. 

Last year, the Steelers had Ben, AB and Juju to draw defenses' attention away from the run. This year, Ben and AB are done, and they're playing with a QB who just made his first career start and AB is gone. Conner isn't less talented. He's now just one of the focal points of the offense and defenses can zero in on him. SF stacked the box plenty of times on Sunday. 

That does not do much for our hopes going forward, but to say Conner is somehow untalented or is a subpar back is not fair to him. He has shown he can succeed if put in the right situation. 

Edited by atdharris
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, atdharris said:

It is funny that people are now saying Conner has no talent after being hailed as one of the more talented backs in the league last year. As Lev Bell has shown, RBs are a product of their team's system more than anything else. Bell can't do anything this year in the Jets disastrous offense. DJ looked horrible last year. Gurley was a bust in Fisher's offense scheme. 

Last year, the Steelers had Ben, AB and Juju to draw defenses' attention away from the run. This year, Ben and AB are done, and they're playing with a QB who just made his first career start and AB is gone. Conner isn't less talented. He's now just one of the focal points of the offense and defenses can zero in on him. SF stacked the box plenty of times on Sunday. 

That does not do much for our hopes going forward, but to say Conner is somehow untalented or is a subpar back is not fair to him. He has shown he can succeed if put in the right situation. 

I agree w most of that but cmon now, Conner is nowhere near the talent level of Bell, DJ, Gurley. 

• Thanks 2
7 hours ago, FinsUp24 said:

This week vs the Bengals will be the real test. If he can’t be productive this week, we’re all screwed. 

agreed. If he can't get it done against that Bengals "defense" this week with another week to heal after banging his knee then things are going to be pretty bleak. 

22 hours ago, TommyKramer said:

dude just offered me James White & Calvin Ridley for Conner.  With the way Pittsburgh has looked so far I'm going to jump on this and unload him.

I tossed an offer of L Mccoy up for Conner but I'm not sure I want to leave it up there.  McCoy just worries me with his injury history and the timeshare.  But, good chance he ends up outscoring Conner this year.

It's just tough....That Steelers offense is a mess.  And it'll probably be awhile before defenses change their focus as the Steelers passing game isn't scaring anyone.

6 minutes ago, Bringthesonicsback said:

I've been sending out these kind of offers the past 48 hours. id love to get Chubb in return 

The Conner owner in my league keeps trying to get Chubb from me.....I'm having none of it.  I keep countering with L Mccoy.

Edited by tts42572
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Psideresider said:

Fantasy Pros has him ranked 8th ROS(ppr), which seems insane.  If he can’t get it done against the Bengals, then he goes from DND to DNR for me. Hoping for 100+ total yards and a TD.

That is insane. The experts are generally too in love with the "don't chase stats, chase volume" maxim. Conner still has an elite touch floor, he's just not doing anything with those touches and he's in an offense that can't stay on the field or score points. Reminds me of how the experts kept ranking 2017 Doug Martin in the top-20 every week while he was averaging under 3ypc week-in-week-out and scoring a TD once in a blue moon.

Volume isn't everything. Unless Rudolph, JuJu + 1 other pass catcher all seriously improve, Conner is just going to put up more lines like he has been. You can't count on PI calls in the end zone every game.

• Like 1