NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Eli Manning 2019 Outlook

FF4life

21 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

@joshua18 ur boy is retiring man.

:(

A great HOF career as the best Giants QB of all time. 

Still holds the NFL Records for:

1. Most 4th quarter TD passes in a single season

2. Most single-season passing yards for a SB-winning QB

Plus:

Top-8 all time in TDs and passing yards

And 2 SB MVPs. 

Doing all of this while playing with only 1 HOF during his 16 year career (Strahan).

Will be interesting to hear his HOF speech.

• Haha 2

Its so funny.  I don't get why so many in media try to downplay the great career this guy had.  They use Super bowl wins as the barometer of how great Brady was over Peyton.  But in Eli's case they go back to his regular season record and discount his two Super Bowl wins.  Can't have it both ways.  Eli should be a first ballot hall of famer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, youngrice said:

Its so funny.  I don't get why so many in media try to downplay the great career this guy had.  They use Super bowl wins as the barometer of how great Brady was over Peyton.  But in Eli's case they go back to his regular season record and discount his two Super Bowl wins.  Can't have it both ways.  Eli should be a first ballot hall of famer.

If the two SB wins weren't against the Patriots, he wouldn't be considered.

• Haha 2

"To me, it's the time to look back and reflect. Everybody else wants to look ahead and have this debate. And I understand, that's just the world we live in. I know Eli doesn't think like that, and I don't think like that either. But I certainly have my strong feelings and opinions on it. When you're the Super Bowl MVP twice against the greatest dynasty of all-time, the New England Patriots, Tom Brady/Bill Belichick, and you join a list that includes Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr, Tom Brady and Joe Montana, Eli Manning as the only (multiple) Super Bowl MVPs. 

"I don't really know what that term, 'drop the mic' is, but I guess if there was one… .There really is no 'yeah, but' after that. That kind of ends it. But if you want a, 'yeah, but,' yeah, but he also started 220-plus consecutive games. He's sixth or seventh all-time in touchdowns. It wasn't like he just played those two seasons.

"He answered the bell, played his butt off, won some huge games for his team. I have strong opinions on it, but I'm gonna pull and Eli and live in the present and kinda look back if you will and not look too far ahead, get too worried about it."

- Peyton F’n Manning

Agree with every single word. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, youngrice said:

Exactly. Eli’s regular season record reflects the garbage he played with most of his career — as evidenced by him having only 1 prime HOF teammate his entire career (Strahan, and that was only for 4 of Eli’s 16 seasons).

You'll be hard pressed to find another QB who played that long, won 2 SB MVPs, and had that little elite help. He made OBJ look like a HOF WR — we saw in 2019 what OBJ is without a HOF QB. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigBenTheSteelerMan said:

Umm no. Nick foles beat tom and the cats once. While eli is the only qb to beat the great one twice in both of his only superbowl runs

Does that really matter? Nick Foles is garbage. One game is enough evidence or two SB games is enough proof to prove his HOF worthy? Shake. My. Head. Eli has had a solid career but he is NOT worth 1st ballot HoF. 

10 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Plus:

And 2 SB MVPs. 

Doing all of this while playing with only 1 HOF during his 16 year career (Strahan).

Wow, nice cherry picking stats, bruh.

Most 4th quater TDs lmao.

6 hours ago, youngrice said:

Eli was never excellent. He was never going to be his brother. But he was always steady and likable for a long, long time. He'll always be my favorite QB from that rookie class. He declined in his mid 30s, as most players do, despite what we've seen from a handful of others in the last ten years. But his stretch from 2009-2015 was excellent, despite the fact that he didn't always have a great supporting cast. 

The Titans would be lucky to develop a QB as good as he was during his peak.

5 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

Does that really matter? Nick Foles is garbage. One game is enough evidence or two SB games is enough proof to prove his HOF worthy? Shake. My. Head. Eli has had a solid career but he is NOT worth 1st ballot HoF. 

But why? Considering the last qb to be inducted into the hof was kurt Warner, and eli's stats have tremendously surpassed his, why does eli not deserve it? What makes a qb hof worthy or not? I think you just have a problem with eli personally 

• Like 1

Eli will be in the HoFame. no doubt in my mind. The Warner comp is a good one. Since Warner had a shorter career and ultimately made it in due to his amazing story. Hall of fame isn't always stats, but about the fame and the story behind a great player.

And Nick Foles is not garbage. lol. He isn't an all-time great, but in a good system with weapons around him he can put up some good numbers. Lets not forget Foles tied the NFL record with 7 pass TD in a game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigBenTheSteelerMan said:

But why? Considering the last qb to be inducted into the hof was kurt Warner, and eli's stats have tremendously surpassed his, why does eli not deserve it? What makes a qb hof worthy or not? I think you just have a problem with eli personally 

I wouldnt consider him a HOF player period.

The HOF should be for the elite of the elite and Eli is a guy who was above average with some hot streaks.

Just my opinion

32 minutes ago, cashvillesent said:

The HOF should be for the elite of the elite and Eli is a guy who was above average with some hot streaks.

Just my opinion

Hall of Fame is not called the "Hall of Elite" or "Hall of Best Stats".

56 minutes ago, cashvillesent said:

Just my opinion

Seventh all-time in TDs and yards is “above average”?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigBenTheSteelerMan said:

I view Warner as absolutely not HOF worthy. Eli is far above him. Warner getting in is a joke.

4 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

You need to blend statistics, both year by year and total, with subjective judgement and a human eye. Determining who gets into the HOF is more art than science.

Got that - I was just relating facts

Eli was a compiler. He did win 2 SBs. Without those trophies he wouldn't be in the discussion, because his career stats for the most part were meaningless - the result of his playing for umpteen years and was lucky enough not to get injured.

He was a decent QB, but if he gets in the HOF he'll be the worst QB there by quite a long way imo.

Compiler - with a socially acceptable last name.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 4:33 PM, joshua18 said:

Plus:

And 2 SB MVPs. 

Don't hold your breath 😂

10 hours ago, BMcP said:

Seventh all-time in TDs and yards is “above average”?

By comparison, Rivers (who started 2 years after Manning), has 31 more touchdowns and 46 less interceptions on 600 less attempts..  Also has 2,000+ more yards.  Rivers is what i'd call above average-very good.  Without rings (which we can attribute to good D and helmet catch), this wouldn't even be a conversation.  Eli was very average and his stats show that.

22 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

Wow, nice cherry picking stats, bruh.

Most 4th quater TDs lmao.

Yeah, only the most important quarter of any game. Only 1 other QB has equaled that record (Peyton during his record setting 2013). If it was so easy to do, it wouldn’t still be an NFL record.

1 hour ago, kdko said:

By comparison, Rivers (who started 2 years after Manning), has 31 more touchdowns and 46 less interceptions on 600 less attempts..  Also has 2,000+ more yards.  Rivers is what i'd call above average-very good.  Without rings (which we can attribute to good D and helmet catch), this wouldn't even be a conversation.  Eli was very average and his stats show that.

Rivers was handed the keys to prime Antonio Gates (top-5 TE of all time), prime Tomlinson (top-10 RB of all time) — two more studs than Eli ever had — plus the league’s #1 defense, yet never won anything. 

The dumbest decision the Chargers ever made was trading for Rivers instead of drafting Larry Fitzgerald to play with Drew Brees. Rivers is not, never has been and never will be better than Brees (who they left for dead to allow Rivers to start in the first place).  

Eli did far more with far less than Rivers.  People who actually know football — like the HOF voters — can appreciate that.