Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoa. Easy with the language.

You're lucky I'm not active this year.  This is some of the most useless analysis I've seen and would normally tear it apart a lot more than I'm about to. Bell is the best back in the league.  Un

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

What would he have made last year playing on the tag?


Believe it was $14.5.   But I can understand with the injury risk why he wouldn't want to get the tag.

But he turned down a deal that was going to pay him $13.3 on average.  With $42 in the first three years.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

But would you like to know what would really be boneheaded?  An NFL GM paying a RB who has been out of football for a full calendar year $10 million when he could draft one instead and pay that player 1/20th of the price for similar production.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

But would you like to know what would really be boneheaded?  An NFL GM paying a RB who has been out of football for a full calendar year $10 million when he could draft one instead and pay that player 1/20th of the price for similar production.


But surely a top RB looking for a new contract would be spending his time off taking care of his body and staying in shape for next season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

But would you like to know what would really be boneheaded?  An NFL GM paying a RB who has been out of football for a full calendar year $10 million when he could draft one instead and pay that player 1/20th of the price for similar production.

It is the position with the shortest career length. Lots of busts as well. Draft picks are never a sure thing. Bell is $10mil. The RB position isn't worth much more though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

But would you like to know what would really be boneheaded?  An NFL GM paying a RB who has been out of football for a full calendar year $10 million when he could draft one instead and pay that player 1/20th of the price for similar production.

 

You don’t know that you’ll get similar production, but if you do you’ve got a long term asset whereas bell at 27 is probably a short term one. 

 

That was the crazy part about Bell sitting out last year and giving up 14.5 million.  He’ll never get that money back or that year of his prime.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, devaster said:

It is the position with the shortest career length. Lots of busts as well. Draft picks are never a sure thing. Bell is $10mil. The RB position isn't worth much more though.

In fact, I think Pittsburgh was dumb to try to pay Bell $14.5 million to play for the Steelers last year.  That's too much to pay for a running back.  You would never catch Belichick doing sonething like that, and I think BB has now kinda proven that he knows what he is doing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

In fact, I think Pittsburgh was dumb to try to pay Bell $14.5 million to play for the Steelers last year.  That's too much to pay for a running back.  You would never catch Belichick doing sonething like that, and I think BB has now kinda proven that he knows what he is doing.

Not all teams are built equally. Bell was and has been their key offensive player. They are a different offense without him, despite similar production from Conner.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, devaster said:

Not all teams are built equally. Bell was and has been their key offensive player. They are a different offense without him, despite similar production from Conner.

Pitt scored more points last year than they have in the 3 years prior. Every RB that starts for Pitt does well. I think it's  more the system than it is the player

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

In fact, I think Pittsburgh was dumb to try to pay Bell $14.5 million to play for the Steelers last year.  That's too much to pay for a running back.  You would never catch Belichick doing sonething like that, and I think BB has now kinda proven that he knows what he is doing.

Patriot have less than 10m wrapped up in White-Burkhead-Michel

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, devaster said:

Not all teams are built equally. Bell was and has been their key offensive player. They are a different offense without him, despite similar production from Conner.

exactly the passing game and situational football is significantly different on 3rd downs. There should be no argument as to Bells pass catching ability and route running.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Special RBs are special.

There seems to be a lot of talk that you don't overpay for a RB, and if  you're the Patriots, that makes sense. However, some RBs are special and they can make the whole team better.

If Bell is as special as he looked, it could have a domino effect on the whole team. Darnold will have less pressure on him, the WRs will have more space, the OL will be required to do less, and the defense could be better by being on the field less.

I'm not sure all this will happen, but for an presumably ascending team with a massive amount of cap space, you can't say that signing Bell to a big contract doesn't make sense just because it wouldn't make sense for a bunch of other teams.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if he topped Gurley's guaranteed. This is just one of those years where there weren't a lot of premiere FA's at some positions and a bunch of teams have a ton of cap space to spend to reach the salary cap floor for the next season.

Remember a couple seasons ago in the NBA when a bunch of nobodies were getting max deals because the salary cap in the NBA spiked? Welcome to the NFL where the salary cap continues to increase and this was the perfect season to be a FA for a lot of positions.

Now I wonder if that played into AB's process at all. Because he just forced his way to to a new pay day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, K197040 said:


Believe it was $14.5.   But I can understand with the injury risk why he wouldn't want to get the tag.

But he turned down a deal that was going to pay him $13.3 on average.  With $42 in the first three years.

 

 

 

Huh? That's assuming that the entire contract the Steelers previously offered him guaranteed. It wasn't.

 

He got 35 million guaranteed. More than he would have gotten if he accepted the Steelers offer, no?

Edited by ThreadKiller
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bell won.

Sat out a year, healed his body, enjoyed his life and most importantly he didnt play for a team he felt didnt respect him.

Comes back to the NFL with $35mm guaranteed which Pitt would not have paid him.

He is in NYC where his rap music career can now take off and his endorsement deal prospects are much better.🤑

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

Huh? That's assuming that the entire contract the Steelers previously offered him guaranteed. It wasn't.

 

He got 35 million guaranteed. More than he would have gotten if he accepted the Steelers offer, no?

 

Probably not.  Supposedly Bell turned down a $70 million deal with the Steelers with $33 million guaranteed.  But Bell left $14.5 million on the table by holding out, so you have to subtract that from the Jets deal he ultimately got.  And Bell only has $35 million guaranteed from the Jets.

I think he caused a lot of drama for nothing, and probably hurt his market with all the bad press he generated on the way out of Pittsburgh.  Yeah if he had lost a leg playing under the franchise tag he would have been out money, but in the more likely scenario where he'd stayed relatively healthy and didn't suffer a career ending injury, he would have come out ahead. Probably would have come out ahead if he'd just taken the Steelers deal.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

 

Probably not.  Supposedly Bell turned down a $70 million deal with the Steelers with $33 million guaranteed.  But Bell left $14.5 million on the table by holding out, so you have to subtract that from the Jets deal he ultimately got.  And Bell only has $35 million guaranteed from the Jets.

I think he caused a lot of drama for nothing, and probably hurt his market with all the bad press he generated on the way out of Pittsburgh.  Yeah if he had lost a leg playing under the franchise tag he would have been out money, but in the more likely scenario where he'd stayed relatively healthy and didn't suffer a career ending injury, he would have come out ahead. Probably would have come out ahead if he'd just taken the Steelers deal.

 

Huh?

If he accepted the deal with Pittsburgh (which was NOT 33 million guaranteed like you claim), then he wouldn't have been tagged and also forfeiting the 14.5 mil franchise tag. It's one situation or the other, not both as you seem to combining the two unless I'm reading it wrong?

 

So if you subtract the 14.5 he left on table from 35, that leaves him with 20.5 million gained.

 

1st Scenario: Accept "long term" offer from Pittsburgh with just 10 million guaranteed plus his base salary for 2018.

2nd Scenario: Sign franchise tag for 14.5 million and likely be run into the ground yet again approaching 400 touches which would compromise his ability to get a long term guarantees afterwards.

3rd Scenario: Sign deal with Jets that includes 35 million guaranteed.

 

Seems like the 3rd scenario is the best with regards to money and security, no?

Edited by ThreadKiller
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

If this deal is finalized then it sure looks like that Le’Veon came out as the winner when he didn’t play in 2018.

sharkdonut whatcha gotta say to this 35M guaranteed 

 

All it takes is one dumb team to decide to pay this guy.  Enter...the New York Jets.  Good for him.  I am happy to be wrong.  

I betcha one of the reasons he paused before signing is that he doesn't want to get stuffed by the Patriots 2x per season.  He may develope a strained hammy for those games...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...