NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2019 Outlook

Fantasy Gooroo

7 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Yeah, I'm not gonna pretend like Gase has had the perfect game plans, but screens can be just as ineffective as ten yard out patterns if dudes can't block and the QB is giving the ball away.

Hell, we saw Mayfield give the Patriots the ball on a shovel pass yesterday.

I get and agree with most of what you say.  However, Gase's "expertise" is supposed to be offense.  You hired this dude for his creativity and ingenuity, on offense.  If after seven games, this is all he's capable of, he needs to be shown the door.  And the thing that really boils my bunions with this guy, is the condescending/I'm smarter than you, way he treats this media.  Not even a Jets fan, but every time I see this dude at a presser, I get the urge to smack him across his sorry @ss face, with cold chicken cutlet.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

The Jets need to tell Darnold to dump the ball off to Le’Veon.   Darnold is fairly good at avoiding the pass rush, but he usually looks for his WR or TE after that.  He needs to dump off more passes to Bell on the early downs because Bell has a better chance at a big play even if he is closer to the los. 

I agree, it's drive killing and exhausting to avoid a sack and toss it 40 yards for an incomplete, take the check down for a 2-4 yard gain with a chance of a missed tackle 

12 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

I get and agree with most of what you say.  However, Gase's "expertise" is supposed to be offense.  You hired this dude for his creativity and ingenuity, on offense.  If after seven games, this is all he's capable of, he needs to be shown the door.  And the thing that really boils my bunions with this guy, is the condescending/I'm smarter than you, way he treats this media.  Not even a Jets fan, but every time I see this dude at a presser, I get the urge to smack him across his sorry @ss face, with cold chicken cutlet.

No doubt.  I'm not making a case to retain Gase, that's a losing battle.

I'm just saying the problem is both Johnnie's and Joe's and X's and O's.

6 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

No doubt.  I'm not making a case to retain Gase, that's a losing battle.

I'm just saying the problem is both Johnnie's and Joe's and X's and O's.

I agree.  There are certainly talent/personnel issues.  But, this dude's calling card is offense.  I mean, he certainly wasn't hired for his charm and wit.

2 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

I agree.  There are certainly talent/personnel issues.  But, this dude's calling card is offense.  I mean, he certainly wasn't hired for his charm and wit.

If they wanted to put their best foot forward on the personality front, they wouldn't have kicked Rex Ryan to the curb.  They'll be footing the bill for that one in press conferences for some time. 

As crazy as it sounds, it might be best to move him BEFORE the Miami game. If you can get someone to buy the dream of that schedule for decent value, take it; if the Jets tank that game, you're stuck with him indefinitely. 

This oline/qb/coach really is the worst case scenario many were dreadingast offseason. 

53 minutes ago, Krambone said:

Maybe taking a year off has also diminished some of what he had, I cannot believe he sat out only to go to a horrible team. I wanted to draft him but I was not reaching for him and fortunately someone valued him higher. Dodged a big one there no doubt. Of course the whole offense is average at best with what seems like an inferior OL. But I feel like he lost his hi caliber skills and he went from a premium RB to just a good one. 

Going into this weekend [can't update until ESPN updates tomorrow] he's RB17 in PPR, and he's already had his bye week. That's with a tough schedule for RB (including the Pats twice) and with his QB out of commission for several of those weeks.

His ADP was a little too high to be putting up RB17 numbers, of course, but if he picks it back up ROS and avoids injury he can likely finish back in the top 10, which wouldn't be too crazy for a guy who ESPN had as RB6 in drafts. He certainly looked fine against Buf and Cle to start the season.

The schedule should get easier, and the offense should at least start to gel a little as Darnold gets back into the swing of things against easier competition. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Rourke said:

As crazy as it sounds, it might be best to move him BEFORE the Miami game. If you can get someone to buy the dream of that schedule for decent value, take it; if the Jets tank that game, you're stuck with him indefinitely. 

This oline/qb/coach really is the worst case scenario many were dreadingast offseason. 

I would probably only do it if I was receiving an offer, I wouldn't float stuff out there.

There is no way that doesn't smell like desperation if you're actively shopping him right now.

6 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I would probably only do it if I was receiving an offer, I wouldn't float stuff out there.

There is no way that doesn't smell like desperation if you're actively shopping him right now.

I mean, I did that (offered). I know the O-Line is trash, but from the games I've seen Bell can tear up a bad defense on the other side. I think things will level off once his O-line is up against equal trash on the other side. It doesn't take a lot of effort to hand it off to Bell and let him work.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

I mean, I did that (offered). I know the O-Line is trash, but from the games I've seen Bell can tear up a bad defense on the other side. I think things will level off once his O-line is up against equal trash on the other side. It doesn't take a lot of effort to hand it off to Bell and let him work.

Good to know.

I think there's the possibility for hope.

But if I opened my inbox and saw an offer for me to take Bell on a team I didn't have him, my instant reaction would be, "blood in the water."

3 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

You must not be talking about 2019..

1 minute ago, MSkibisky said:

You must not be talking about 2019..

I may be 100% wrong, but what I have seen is the line getting over-matched and pushed back. What I'm saying is when they are on a level field things should look up for Bell. His best game rushing came against NE (second go-round), surprisingly. And he had 20+ point games against Buffalo and Cleveland. I do believe the grass is greener going forward. And that revenge game in the title, if people make it is going to pay off. I got him for this reason. I have the big dog with the Giants and both dogs for GB. And if things do look up for Bell I like my chances.

• Like 1

[...] Yet again got sucked into the volume hype on a bad team with a bad offense. If he can't do anything against Miami next week, then I don't see how you can start him in any games after that.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Assistant Coach content

8 minutes ago, Castavar said:

Traded Tevin Coleman for Bell 2 weeks ago because of his upcoming "favorable" schedule.Yet again got sucked into the volume hype on a bad team with a bad offense. If he can't do anything against Miami next week, then I don't see how you can start him in any games after that.

And I'd say that's nearly impossible. Two case studies. Adrian Peterson went for 23/118/0 and added 2/18/0 receiving. Austin Ekeler went for 18/60/1 and added 5/62/1 receiving. These teams are considered to have terrible offensive lines. Based on that I wouldn't be worried about Bell.

I blame this entire situation on Gase. Yes the Oline is bad, but he's putting them in the worst possible position to succeed. During the NE game it was nothing, but dives up the middle and deep shots. This past game bell had 8 carries and only 2 designed receptions. This offense should be running through bell both through the air and on the ground and keeping defenses honest with Robby deep. Quick passes to DT and Crowder. Gase needs to go, it's not hard to gameplan. 

Really sucks bc nobody knows if you should buy low, sell low, or what

Edited by scheibler
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, scheibler said:

I blame this entire situation on Gase. Yes the Oline is bad, but he's putting them in the worst possible position to succeed. During the NE game it was nothing, but dives up the middle and deep shots. This past game bell had 8 carries and only 2 designed receptions. This offense should be running through bell both through the air and on the ground and keeping defenses honest with Robby deep. Quick passes to DT and Crowder. Gase needs to go, it's not hard to gameplan. 

Really sucks bc nobody knows if you should buy low, sell low, or what

hi-res-0946bdd6c09ec0c68b8c8fb71020d6ac_

• Haha 1

I want falk back, at least when he was under center gase knew leveon should be the focal point of the offense. Now he thinks giving darnold control is the right idea when he has looked like a bottom 3 qb over the last 2 weeks, extremely irritating situation atm. 

1 minute ago, 9amest said:

I want falk back, at least when he was under center gase knew leveon should be the focal point of the offense. Now he thinks giving darnold control is the right idea when he has looked like a bottom 3 qb over the last 2 weeks, extremely irritating situation atm. 

tenor.gif?itemid=15359282

• Haha 1

All I can say is, I'm really grateful for having other guys that I drafted lower stepping up for me a lot of weeks when guys like Bell and Beckham have been just scraping by. It's given me the luxury of being able to wait on points from them, because I do still think some big games are coming, and they'll be coming in critical weeks. I feel for guys that have been hamstrung by him, though. Still, this was a known risk. Even for those of us who drafted him for value after all the other true RB1s were gone, most of us were never really confident in him based on situation. We can debate the particulars of why the Jets are bad, but in general, the situation is reminder of one of the first things I consider when valuing a player in fantasy: team situation. I dread having good players on bad teams, but sometimes you have to take them when they fall because the potential payoff is just too big. Bell is one of the few guys where I'll allow for his talent and usage to partially mitigate the risk of playing on a bad team, but you can only speculate as to the degree. We knew the Jets were probably still a bad team, but most of us didn't think they would be entirely dysfunctional. When something is a total trainwreck, it's hard to find redeemable qualities.

Edited by EaglesRocker97

1 hour ago, Bluecore said:

Need better play calling. Get some high percentage throws to bell in space and let him do the work. The flat is a less haunted place to throw the ball

Right, we can't be too surprised at the poor o-line or QB play, but we didn't account this level of coaching incompetence. With an inexperienced and highly-valued prospect at QB missing time and seemingly losing confidence, Gase has done nothing to scheme around his offensive weaknesses tp take some of the pressure off Darnold and allow their offense to run more efficiently. Bell is a chess piece that he's fortunate to have in this situation, but he's not utilizing him effectively. He could put additional blockers on the line and in the backfield for when they need some power runs, or add a blocking TE or extra lineman to help on screens and zone runs. They could certainly utilize Bell more in the passing game, but even when they do, he's usually split wide. It creates a potential mismatch with a RB against a CB, and it demands greater accuracy and arm-strength from your QB. Bell's success as a receiver has primarily come from the slot. It's where his skills are best exploited, and it would take some of the pressure off the line by getting the ball in Bell's hand at the second level so he can exploit soft spots in coverage and give Bell the chance to shake off a linebacker for some chunk yardage. Gase is just making a bad situation worse, because Darnold isn't throwing the ball well into tight into coverage or downfield, and Bell doesn't have the blocking be successful in the trenches.