NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2019 Outlook

Fantasy Gooroo

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

You seem to be assuming that Bell would know in advance of signing that he was about to be traded, and would know to which team he was headed.

Thats the way it works with a tag and trade, which is why the player signs the tag to facilitate the trade.

You do realize that the other team who agrees to acquire  and pay the expensive contract does want the player 100% onboard with the deal right?  :lol:

2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Thats the way it works with a tag and trade, which is why the player signs the tag to facilitate the trade.

You do realize that the other team who agrees to acquire  and pay the expensive contract does want the player 100% onboard with the deal right?  :lol:

I’m just pointing out that it doesn’t have to work that way.  The Steelers could trade him after he signs without his consent or foreknowledge.  And if the Steelers had a deal in place beforehand, Bell would have a legitimate grievance.

10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I’m just pointing out that it doesn’t have to work that way.  The Steelers could trade him after he signs without his consent or foreknowledge.  And if the Steelers had a deal in place beforehand, Bell would have a legitimate grievance.

Yes but teams don't do that because it would destroy their ability to negotiate in good faith with other free agents.  It's a very improbable scenario from an organizational view. The more probable scenario is if the player does something egregious between signing and expected trade execution which kills the trade or the acquiring team backs away from the deal leaving the primary team holding the bag. But for the primary team to unilaterally void a sign and trade is not realistic

Edited by dashoe

I agree it’s improbable - but this Bell situation is a special case.  It wouldn’t surprise me if, at this point, the Steelers essentially don’t care all that much about catering to Bell’s interests and are just interested in maximizing their return on their investment in him.

LSS

If he doesn’t (sign)  the franchise tag the Steelers used to keep him can be applied again — but not at the same price. A new hitch in the league’s collective bargaining agreement would put Bell in line for a major raise. His tagged salary would equal the average of the league’s top five highest-paid players in

“if the Steelers use the franchise tag again after Bell sits out year, he’ll be in the same exact position next year that he is now. Would Pittsburgh bother to tag him again knowing he already sat out an entire season? Maybe at $14.54m. Almost certainly not at a cost likely to hover around $25-26m.”

Edited by psygolf

“Like the franchise tag, [the transition tag] also comes with a designated one-year contract. In this case, it’s the average salary of the top 10 highest-paid players at the tagged player’s position, or 120 percent of what the player earned the previous year. So, based on what Bell earned in 2017, the transition tag means he would be in line for the same $14.5 million that his franchise tag was supposed to be worth. That is, if he were to sign his transition tender (he wouldn’t).”

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

I explained above why a “sign and trade” would violate the CBA.  

It doesn’t sound like Pittsburgh is willing to just let Bell walk - it sounds like they are going to tag him - or trade him.

You explained that the “good faith” clause would violate the tag & trade. But Pittsburgh is within their rights to sign & trade, no? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

“Like the franchise tag, [the transition tag] also comes with a designated one-year contract. In this case, it’s the average salary of the top 10 highest-paid players at the tagged player’s position, or 120 percent of what the player earned the previous year. So, based on what Bell earned in 2017, the transition tag means he would be in line for the same $14.5 million that his franchise tag was supposed to be worth. That is, if he were to sign his transition tender (he wouldn’t).”

That’s if they transition vs franchise tag him in ‘19...cheaper option, but it reads no compensation if he signs with another team, it merely gives Pitt the option to match.

Just now, psygolf said:

That’s if they transition vs franchise tag him in ‘19...cheaper option, but it reads no compensation if he signs with another team, it merely gives Pitt the option to match.

All true - I haven’t seen any indication they’re willing to franchise-tag him, though.  Probably for the very reason you mentioned.

5 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

You explained that the “good faith” clause would violate the tag & trade. But Pittsburgh is within their rights to sign & trade, no? 

Yes.  That clause no longer applies once Bell signs his tender - which he won’t do.  I think the way this most likely plays out is they tag him, use the time extension to work out a trade, and then let him work out a new deal with his new team, after rescinding the tag.

Edited by BMcP

On 2/16/2019 at 10:21 AM, Lamont Sanford said:

My understanding is that is a "yes."

On 2/16/2019 at 10:25 AM, BMcP said:

Yes.  That clause no longer applies once Bell signs his tender - which he won’t do.  I think the way this most likely plays out is they tag him, use the time extension to work out a trade, and then let him work out a new deal with his new team, after rescinding the tag.

If they rescind the tag, Bell is an instant free agent.  If they do not tag him at all, Bell is an instant free agent.  No trading a free agent, hence the intrigue.  I still think the Steelers will transition tag Bell.  Only way to get something for him now, as opposed to waiting for the 3rd round compensatory pick in 2020.

5 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If they rescind the tag, Bell is an instant free agent.  If they do not tag him at all, Bell is an instant free agent.  No trading a free agent, hence the intrigue.  I still think the Steelers will transition tag Bell.  Only way to get something for him now, as opposed to waiting for the 3rd round compensatory pick in 2020.

I don't see them transition tagging him. Too many risks associated with that option.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

I don't see them transition tagging him. Too many risks associated with that option.

That's what the RW blurb said.  But what are the risks?  That Bell will sign his transition tag, and they'll be stuck with him?  I suppose that is a concern...

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

That's what the RW blurb said.  But what are the risks?  That Bell will sign his transition tag, and they'll be stuck with him?  I suppose that is a concern...

The risk is the same situation as last season and having to eat that cap number for the entire season. The only logical reason to tag Bell is if all parties involved have an agreement to trade in place.

Steelers also risk no compensation at all if they fail to match an offer Bell gets. And lets be honest, the Steelers have no intention of keeping Bell and matching any offer he gets out there. This isn't like the franchise tag or a RFA deal, where compensation is available to the original team if they fail to match an offer.

I would be very shocked if they didn’t tag him - and he should be fine with that: it just means they are making trading him a priority.  My earlier comment was that they will allow him to work out the details of his new contract with his new club once they have a deal in place.

I understand.  Miami did something similar last offseason with Jarvis Landry.  Landry signed his new Cleveland Browns contract so quickly that it seems likely it was in place, at least provisionally, at the moment Landry signed the Miami franchise tag.

6 minutes ago, devaster said:

The risk is the same situation as last season and having to eat that cap number for the entire season. The only logical reason to tag Bell is if all parties involved have an agreement to trade in place.

Steelers also risk no compensation at all if they fail to match an offer Bell gets. And lets be honest, the Steelers have no intention of keeping Bell and matching any offer he gets out there. This isn't like the franchise tag or a RFA deal, where compensation is available to the original team if they fail to match an offer.

But if Bell refuses to sign his transition tag, they keep him out of football and off their rivals' rosters for another year, and do not have to pay a cent.

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

There is a degree of risk involved here - but it’s a very reasonable and calculated gamble.  At this point, they need a greater return on investment than a compensatory third-rounder.

Do you really think any teams will trade better than a single 3rd round pick for a RB with 6 seasons of mileage? And then also have to sign him to a mega deal?

• Like 1