NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Johnson 2019 Outlook

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would have been nice if he said this before the game.

Did your backup get all the reps in your furniture moving business while you were out?  That’s the only part of your analogy that us Chase Edmonds owners care about.

this is what fantasy football has come to 🤦🏻‍♂️

Posted Images

I like DJ this year. Last year was the absolute floor. Now we have an athletic mobile QB, a new offense etc that will put him in a much better situation than last year. 

Honestly I couldnt watch him go up the gut for yet another 3 yard gain one more time. Need to get this dude out in space and let him go to work

I think that Chase Edmonds is worth adding as a handcuff to Johnson as well.  I've read that Edmonds has been working with the first team offense for the last 10 days of training camp in 2 back sets with Johnson and Johnson has been split out wide.

On 8/6/2019 at 1:28 AM, sjm76 said:

I think that Chase Edmonds is worth adding as a handcuff to Johnson as well.  I've read that Edmonds has been working with the first team offense for the last 10 days of training camp in 2 back sets with Johnson and Johnson has been split out wide.

I'm quite happy to read that, given that I own Edmonds and not DJ :)

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/cardinals-chase-edmonds-increasing-profile-in-practice/

Gonna be hesitant on this guy, that's for sure. No doubt DJ is a beast...there's no denying that. I know one thing, DO NOT GET FOOLED by preseason football. He looked great last year.

My rankings look like: Barkley/Zeke/McCaffrey/Kamara/Gordon/Bell/Gurley/Conner/DJ...that puts DJ at #9. I think I'd move Gordon out of there, so DJ goes to #8. BUT...

I would put him, Bell, Gurley, and Conner grouped together. In that group, I'm not sure anyone separates themselves enough to be the clear #5 after the top 4. So I won't be fooled by preseason stats, but I will look at how they use DJ and the other RB's. If we see a 180 from last year's offense and the backs are getting plays to the outside and being involved in the screen/passing game...I might have to go in on DJ again.

Edited by tpat30
37 minutes ago, tpat30 said:

Gonna be hesitant on this guy, that's for sure. No doubt DJ is a beast...there's no denying that. I know one thing, DO NOT GET FOOLED by preseason football. He looked great last year.

My rankings look like: Barkley/Zeke/McCaffrey/Kamara/Gordon/Bell/Gurley/Conner/DJ...that puts DJ at #9. I think I'd move Gordon out of there, so DJ goes to #8. BUT...

I would put him, Bell, Gurley, and Conner grouped together. In that group, I'm not sure anyone separates themselves enough to be the clear #5 after the top 4. So I won't be fooled by preseason stats, but I will look at how they use DJ and the other RB's. If we see a 180 from last year's offense and the backs are getting plays to the outside and being involved in the screen/passing game...I might have to go in on DJ again.

Preseason is 100% useless unless you are a rookie or fighting for a roster spot. Last season the Cardinals offense looked solid in the preseason and they were one of the worst offenses of all time.

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 2

Everyone is so jacked about the new offense. Shouldn’t DJ running behind a bottom 3 offensive line cap a lot of his upside? A new offense doesn’t change that he’s still not going to have good blocking and that his rookie QB maybe running on many broken plays that a veteran pocket WB with a good line and more time might be checking down on. These are two issues not being brought to light. 

1 hour ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Everyone is so jacked about the new offense. Shouldn’t DJ running behind a bottom 3 offensive line cap a lot of his upside? A new offense doesn’t change that he’s still not going to have good blocking and that his rookie QB maybe running on many broken plays that a veteran pocket WB with a good line and more time might be checking down on. These are two issues not being brought to light. 

That's an issue when they run him up the gut and the line cannot overpower their opponent.  If they get him the ball in space, dump offs or split out wide,  where he excels, or potentionally RPOs and qb bootlegs or keepers  the line isnt as much of an issue as it will be last year.  They will have to plan to defend Murray a lot more than Rosen too.

1 hour ago, TheForearmShiver said:

A Lot of times the new offense makes a huge difference.  It's not just play calling but also blocking schemes that puts not only the RB but the lineman in positions that they excel.  You have to look no further then the Rams 2 years ago for a reference. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

If this offense doesn't work, I do think it caps his upside if they can's get into the endzone.
But I also think he has a pretty high floor with receptions.   Could easily be in the 100 range.

It's all about running lanes. Last year, McCoy and to a slightly lesser extent Leftwich just ran him up the middle into a pile. It was mind-boggling how uncreative they were with DJ. With this new staff/scheme, you have to think they'll find ways to get DJ in space more. If not in the running game, certainly in the receiving game (screens, jet sweeps, etc.), but I think also in the running game. 

Bottom line, I believe what we got from him last year was his floor. If this offense is just half better than it was last year I believe we're gonna see production much closer to 2016 than 2018. 

JMHO...

4 minutes ago, The G Man said:

It's all about running lanes. Last year, McCoy and to a slightly lesser extent Leftwich just ran him up the middle into a pile. It was mind-boggling how uncreative they were with DJ. With this new staff/scheme, you have to think they'll find ways to get DJ in space more. If not in the running game, certainly in the receiving game (screens, jet sweeps, etc.), but I think also in the running game. 

Bottom line, I believe what we got from him last year was his floor. If this offense is just half better than it was last year I believe we're gonna see production much closer to 2016 than 2018. 

JMHO...

Agree.  Those who didn't watch the Cardinals may not fully appreciate how awful the plays were.  I would watch and, just by the formation, I could call out "it's a run up the middle" or "it's a pass play" and be right like 95% of the time.  If I can do that, you know the opposing defense was all over their plays.  DJ didn't have a chance at all.  It can only get better.

22 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Preseason is 100% useless unless you are a rookie or fighting for a roster spot. Last season the Cardinals offense looked solid in the preseason and they were one of the worst offenses of all time.

Yes, yes I know. It was my fault for being on the fence about DJ last year, and saw him bust a few big runs so I decided to draft him when he fell to me. I never put much stock into preseason and even though teams keep it vanilla, I'll still be looking at what the Cardinals might do or how they might look on offense.

3 hours ago, dudewithabadcat said:

New coach.  New QB.  New system.  New hope.  New ADP :) .  I like DJ this year.  I am buying him over Gordon for sure....Zeke...eh...maybe not.    

So, you're saying if you're drafting today you'd take Zeke (who's still holding out) over DJ? Really? :huh:

On 8/7/2019 at 10:28 AM, TheForearmShiver said:

Everyone is so jacked about the new offense. Shouldn’t DJ running behind a bottom 3 offensive line cap a lot of his upside?

Look at Tampa last year.  They ran the Air Raid behind a bad OL and they put up huge numbers.  The Air Raid offense will give you big volume, which is what we need in fantasy football.  Whether it wins you football games is debatable.

My only concern is that Kyler is a good runner and that means fewer dump off passes for DJ.  On the other hand, DJ has shown the ability to split out wide and beat DBs and it looks like the new coach will take advantage of that.

3 hours ago, Rickydragon said:

It’s risky.  I can see these guys getting too pass happy and abandoning the run by choice or falling behind too much in games.  And we’re looking at a glorified James white.  

psot.png

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Rickydragon said:

It’s risky.  I can see these guys getting too pass happy and abandoning the run by choice or falling behind too much in games.  And we’re looking at a glorified James white.  

Dj had more rushing yards last year alone, yes in last years bleh season, than James White has in his entire career.  

Also DJ still managed to almost hit  1,000 yards rushing despite a historically bad offense that was always playing from behind and a coaching regime that was god awful.  No where to go but up really. 

• Like 1