NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Johnson 2019 Outlook

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would have been nice if he said this before the game.

Did your backup get all the reps in your furniture moving business while you were out?  That’s the only part of your analogy that us Chase Edmonds owners care about.

this is what fantasy football has come to 🤦🏻‍♂️

Posted Images

8 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

im close to trading DJ for Dalvin Cook in my dynasty...i have a bad taste in my mouth concerning dj and the cards again

I hear ya i got pick 5 coming up tonight and I've been debating if I want to go DJ. Just seems like a guy whos going to have a safe floor but not much upside. I just dont believe in the Cards. 

I'm thinking the play at 5 is just go WR and grab the best RB in the 2nd out of Mixon/Gurley/Cook. If all 3 rbs are gone grab WR and hit up this 3rd and 4th round RBs. 5th pick is crap this season. 

13 hours ago, buzzkilloton said:

I hear ya i got pick 5 coming up tonight and I've been debating if I want to go DJ. Just seems like a guy whos going to have a safe floor but not much upside. I just dont believe in the Cards. 

I'm thinking the play at 5 is just go WR and grab the best RB in the 2nd out of Mixon/Gurley/Cook. If all 3 rbs are gone grab WR and hit up this 3rd and 4th round RBs. 5th pick is crap this season. 

I'm having this same debate.

I'm also having a really hard time buying into Johnson at #5.  I know there are all kinds of factors at work but the dude has basically only had one fantasy season that would justify that top 5 pick.  There is a whole lot of "hoping" going on if you select Johnson there....You hope he says healthy.  You hope the Cardinals offense with a new coach and a rookie QB can be better.

I think I'd rather just take Hopkins....especially if it's a PPR league.  You KNOW you're getting a stud with him.  That Texans running game is going to be a zero all season.  It's gonna be Watson chucking the ball to Hopkins 15 times a game.  I think I'd rather take the known commodity at 5 and then hope to grab whichever the best RB is that falls to the second.

League size also impacts this a little for me.  If it's a 10 team league, the odds of a RB making it there in the second round are obviously better than if it's a 14 tam league.  In a larger league I might be more inclined to take DJ and pick from a WR second.  In a smaller league though, it seems in many mocks I've done that some decent RB is usually there at that spot...Cook, Chubb, etc.

All i know is that it seems like every mock I do where I select DJ I'm just not very happy with my results mostly just because I'm just not confident in him at all.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I'm having this same debate.

I'm also having a really hard time buying into Johnson at #5.  I know there are all kinds of factors at work but the dude has basically only had one fantasy season that would justify that top 5 pick.  There is a whole lot of "hoping" going on if you select Johnson there....You hope he says healthy.  You hope the Cardinals offense with a new coach and a rookie QB can be better.

I think I'd rather just take Hopkins....especially if it's a PPR league.  You KNOW you're getting a stud with him.  That Texans running game is going to be a zero all season.  It's gonna be Watson chucking the ball to Hopkins 15 times a game.  I think I'd rather take the known commodity at 5 and then hope to grab whichever the best RB is that falls to the second.

League size also impacts this a little for me.  If it's a 10 team league, the odds of a RB making it there in the second round are obviously better than if it's a 14 tam league.  In a larger league I might be more inclined to take DJ and pick from a WR second.  In a smaller league though, it seems in many mocks I've done that some decent RB is usually there at that spot...Cook, Chubb, etc.

All i know is that it seems like every mock I do where I select DJ I'm just not very happy with my results mostly just because I'm just not confident in him at all.

I had that decision in a 12team ppr league and ended up with Gurley in the 2nd with Nuke. I could of had Brown/Allen+DJ or Gurley+Nuke. I'm much happier with Nuke/Gurley as DJ ceiling is risky to me and both Allen/Brown have question marks. I think DJ is going to get alot of dump off passes to have a safe floor but the ceiling I question. Obv Gurley has tons of question marks about health but if hes 70% of what he was last season I come out of what i believe is the worst draft spot this season with a title contender.

The other thing about it is as someone else mentioned if you're at 5 you take DJ and hes such a downgrade over the big 4. I'd much rather grab the Adams/Nuke WR get the lock top 3 guy at the postion and then see what happens in the 2nd round. 

I think if DJs falling to you later in the 1st round where you know with your 2nd round pick you can grab a top end WR its ok. Its just in general if you're considering DJ its going to be at that 5 spot and its a tough sell to me there trying to match the top 4 team with a similar WR and far inferior RB. You could go DJ/another RB but that is going to put you way behind at WR esp if you ppr start 3 WR leagues.

Edited by buzzkilloton

DJ is sliding a bit ADP wise and I feel the concerns. I was set with him as the 5th-7th player off the board but after this preseason I’m contemplating putting him below backs such as Gurley, Cook, and Chubb. 

I don’t try to read into the preseason but man there are concerns. The defense sucks. The line sucks. A coach with absolutely zero NFL experience. A QB that has had serious struggles in the limited NFL playing time. What’s the benefit? Volume? Talent that we haven’t seen shine through in years? 

I drafted him with confidence as my second pick at number 5 draft pick in ppr league managed to get Mccaffrey as my number 1 pick followed up with DJ in draft was wiling to take gamble on him despite circumstances should be up tempo Offense with lots of opportunity all aboard this DJ train Leggo!!!

49 minutes ago, Hotdog said:

I drafted him with confidence as my second pick at number 5 draft pick in ppr league managed to get Mccaffrey as my number 1 pick followed up with DJ in draft was wiling to take gamble on him despite circumstances should be up tempo Offense with lots of opportunity all aboard this DJ train Leggo!!!

Let me get this straight.

CMC went at 5

Then DJ was there on the turn

lmao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Tugginroot said:

He's looked slow imo too.  And I'm a Cards fan, so there's a little panic setting in all around.

This also.

I’d say going through the motions is better for an explanation. During his dominant season he reminded me of AP in the sense that he ran like a horse with straight certainty. Last year and this preseason he’s been going through the motions and that’s it.

Dude plays a brutal position, has a wife, has a kid, and he got paid. Makes you wonder with all the recent players tapping out... 

It very well could be the same thing as Gurley had where you lose motivation because your team is so bad but I’m not sure they’re that much better. Sure as hell don’t want to use the 5th pick to find out.

Edited by Gohawks

DJ definitely fits the bill of a first round pick bust this season, and there will be busts. I don’t think he has a single thing going for him. There is basically no reason to believe he will be a top RB this upcoming season. He is aging and past his prime, his team will likely suck, his line sucks. I’d take Chubb, Bell (who is also a major bust candidate), Cook, Mixon, Conner, Fournette, and Carson over him without a doubt. All of these guys are better or comparable talents at this stage of their careers and all have way better situations. things get murky with him are in the Jacobs/Kerryon/Jones range.

Edited by MJJ28
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

DJ definitely fits the bill of a first round pick bust this season, and there will be busts. I don’t think he has a single thing going for him. There is basically no reason to believe he will be a top RB this upcoming season. He is aging and past his prime, his team will likely suck, his line sucks. I’d take Chubb, Bell (who is also a major bust candidate), Cook, Mixon, Conner, Fournette, and Carson over him without a doubt. All of these guys are better or comparable talents at this stage of their careers and all have way better situations. things get murky with him are in the Jacobs/Kerryon/Jones range.

Carson a comparable talent to DJ? 

Unreal.

The season needs to start already.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Gohawks said:

DJ is sliding a bit ADP wise and I feel the concerns. I was set with him as the 5th-7th player off the board but after this preseason I’m contemplating putting him below backs such as Gurley, Cook, and Chubb. 

I don’t try to read into the preseason but man there are concerns. The defense sucks. The line sucks. A coach with absolutely zero NFL experience. A QB that has had serious struggles in the limited NFL playing time. What’s the benefit? Volume? Talent that we haven’t seen shine through in years? 

It is the preseason. Who cares? Pats routinely lose all of their preseason games then win the SB. 

DJ will be just fine.

Here’s how I assess the situation. Last year this Cardinal team was God awful. Can this Cardinals team possibly be any worse than they were last year? If the answer is no, then you draft DJ comfortably b/c as bad as they were, he still finished RB #9 total points in standard. 

11 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Here’s how I assess the situation. Last year this Cardinal team was God awful. Can this Cardinals team possibly be any worse than they were last year? If the answer is no, then you draft DJ comfortably b/c as bad as they were, he still finished RB #9 total points in standard. 

Very logical and reasonable way to assess it.  I will say, though...as someone who owned DJ last year, it sure didn't feel like he finished #9.  He started 16 games so maybe his point total was #9, but I would rather have had a guy who scored less but started less and had a higher per game average.  A guy like Nick Chubb or Marlon Mack was better for your team.  DJ had a handful of good games and the rest of the time he was killing you as your first pick.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

DJ definitely fits the bill of a first round pick bust this season, and there will be busts. I don’t think he has a single thing going for him. There is basically no reason to believe he will be a top RB this upcoming season. He is aging and past his prime

DJ is 27.

9 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

This take ain't gonna age well

• Haha 1

Having owned DJ many times, I had to pass on him this year, just too many concerns. He definitely has upside though. It all depends if this Murray/Kingsbury offense works or not. So far the terrible line and bad blocking has me concerned Murray will be running for his life the entire season. In the end, nobody knows.

They really need to use him creatively in space and involve him in the passing game. He's the ultimate hybrid back. Last year the way they used him drove me crazy. Hes not a pound the ball up the middle again and again guy.

I pick 4th in a 10 team standard league this Sunday. I don't really feel comfortable picking unsigned Zeke or DJ there, but RB's are more valuable in standard so I feel like WR is also too high to take there. I think I'd rather have Chubb,Gurley, or Connor over DJ, but I feel like that is reaching for the 4th pick. I feel like 4th and 5th are the worst positions to draft at right now : /