NBC Sports Edge Forums

Joe Mixon 2019 Outlook

Just now, FavreCo said:

Wait a minute. These idiots changed blocking scheme from what was successful last year? My gawd how do idiots like these guys get coaching jobs at the highest level?

New coaching staffs will almost always bring in new schemes and philosophies across the board

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me at the Mixon Fan Club Meeting last night  

Me reading this and getting hyped pregame

1 hour ago, FavreCo said:

Wait a minute. These idiots changed blocking scheme from what was successful last year? My gawd how do idiots like these guys get coaching jobs at the highest level?

Teams have hopped on the Sean McVey coaching tree and zone blocking came with the territory.  Outsize zone requires the linemen to block parallel to the line of scrimmage, and that can make pass and runs look the same initially, making it easier to fool the defense with what's coming.  It's kinda funny that both the Rams (last game I watched) and the Bengals have been getting away from outside zone, you need a quality offensive line to make it happen.  Whereas the Packers can make it work because they got a good O Line.    

16 hours ago, affliction said:

I don’t understand why he doesn’t have 4 catches a game.

blow for burrow he loves passing to his backs I hope they lose every game 

Agree with this.

It's like Aaron Jones with the Packers....What are they doing?

Mixon should be catching at least 3-4 balls a game on dump offs or quick crosses.

• Like 2

Mixon runs routes at slot WR kinda level--with great hands and quicks...it boggles the mind that a team like this continues to almost ignore him in this aspect of the game (as many of us continue to say)...but maybe there's a reason we call them the Bungles?!?!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

You’d think that we should be happy the first string QB is coming back, but I’m not happy about this at all.  Given that plus a tough Jets run D, going to need to think more about starting Mixon this week or not.  

4 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

You hear the Dalton news and your instinct is, "that's good", but Mixon's actually been better without him. 

Realistically still would be in that low-end RB2 range. 

Matchup appears rough this week, but at least Dalton will prob throw to him much more than the rookie did? I think it helps, as Dalton might actually move the offense now?

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Matchup appears rough this week, but at least Dalton will prob throw to him much more than the rookie did? I think it helps, as Dalton might actually move the offense now?

The real truth is that Dalton was extremely bad when he did start. Didn't move the offense until the Bengals were down big and got all of his stats this year in garbage time. By that point the Bengals, who don't utilize Joe Mixon as a pass catcher for some odd reaso , would abandon the run and render Mixon useless for fantasy purposes.

The Rotoworld blurb on Dalton getting the job back is just strange. They mention that the move "benefits almost all parties involved except Joe Mixon, who was force fed carries with Finley under center" as if force-feeding touches to by far your best offensive player is a bad thing or that anyone other than Mixon should matter. If they stuck with that mantra the first time around instead of putting the offense on the back of Dalton, he wouldn't have gotten benched in the first place.

2 hours ago, jasonresno said:

picked him up for a 5th rounder. optimistic that he finds his groove again. dalton coming back a big plus?

Generally speaking I don't consider it a plus.  The one area it could be an advantage is that the Bengals should be better at driving the ball and getting into the red zone.  I'd still rather have Finley force feeding Mixon though.

• Like 1
On 11/25/2019 at 12:02 PM, hangin n wangin said:

How we feel about him against the Jets?

Jets are an AWESOME run defense.  If they don't throw it to Mixon, his most likely output is single digits.  Don't start him unless you're desperate (which I am in a league where my season is on the line, unfortunately).

21 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Not against that Jets defense that has stuffed Barkley, Redskins RBs and Josh Jacobs the last 3 weeks..........I am benching him this week. 

I agree with that. I was quoting someone who said he will never start for them. I like his playoff schedule. 

• Like 1