NBC Sports Edge Forums

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

3 minutes ago, Berko1se said:

His losses? AB could easily sign another contract, if cut. If anything, sticking with AB would be a show of good faith for other players.

AB is still a major talent for the next few years. he is definitely going to get his money somewhere. Mayock will look like a hero for the raiders organization for saving them a lot of money. Gruden will come off the worse imo. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steelers locker room  

that feeling when you’re immediately proven wrong 🤣     

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, bengalfan27 said:

you think he survives a 2 and 14 season? not all owners are Jimmy Haslem/ Hue jackson. It would be bad look moving into Vegas next year

That pumpkin pie haircut Mark Davis won’t do anything.   They’re focused on Vegas not rebuilding the FO/CS

8 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Mayock is a tough cat, an ex player who wasn't gonna take crap from that punk. 

btw, Brown's contract contained quite a few caveats about voiding money and guarantees if things got outta hand - well, guess what, they did get outta hand, and now the Raiders are seemingly off the hook for a ton of coin. 

if Mayock helped design those statutes, well, he's a whole fudge of a lot sharper than you give him credit for. 

He is a draft analyst that got hired to be a GM and let AB distract the team through the entirety of pre-season. Mayock also let this get to the point of the captains standing with AB while he made an apology to the team, coaches publicly stating AB would play but knew the entire time he was going to fine him enough to strip away his guaranteed money. The guy didn't have the foresight to see how this was going to play out?

Im not saying Mayock shouldn't have ultimately done what he did, just saying from beginning to end he has maximized distractions rather than mitigate them. Again, not saying he's right'wrong for what he did, just saying his way of managing to get to this point was absolutely terrible.

Edited by Mr.STD
  • Like 1

I get AB is all drama and ego but this is on the Raiders. He apologized to the team, they say he’s playing, then they void his contract and take away his guarantees? That’s bananas. The Raiders could have disciplined him and not voided his guarantees. What’s AB supposed to do after that? Play week to week as he says, or essentially without injury security? I think AB contributed to and probably started the drama, but the Raiders took it WAY to far. A lot of other less dramatic players have held out for less. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

The team captains went to Gruden Thursday and said the players were behind management with whatever they decided to do. 

D Carr’s brother said AB has lost the locker room.

No one is going to sign AB.

The guy clearly has CTE and is likely done with football imho.

And Rosenhaus just went on national TV and said that Antonio Brown was 100% fine.

It's in his best interest to stick this out with AB, even if the final destination is retirement.

2 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Works for me.🤷🏻‍♂️

Do you think I need to upgrade my machine?

computer.jpg.43ab5d542ea71d4caa77af7cd4f7c0b3.jpg

On topic though, this dude isn't going to play in Oakland. I don't know what happens from here, since this is kind of unprecedented. At a certain point TO had destroyed his reputation enough that he couldn't find a deal after a 9 TD season in Buffalo. 

As somebody else said, nobody is going to give him guaranteed money to bring a circus into their locker room that they've been spending months to cultivate. The Raiders are a haphazard organization whose coach had a profound love of AB. They might have been his only match. 

1 minute ago, WestCoastMets said:

I get AB is all drama and ego but this is on the Raiders. He apologized to the team, they say he’s playing, then they void his contract and take away his guarantees? That’s bananas. The Raiders could have disciplined him and not voided his guarantees. What’s AB supposed to do after that? Play week to week as he says, or essentially without injury security? I think AB contributed to and probably started the drama, but the Raiders took it WAY to far. A lot of other less dramatic players have held out for less. 

Seems like a smart decision by them with the way he is acting....

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

AB is still a major talent for the next few years. he is definitely going to get his money somewhere. Mayock will look like a hero for the raiders organization for saving them a lot of money. Gruden will come off the worse imo. 

100% disagree. Mayock has mishandled this every step of the way.

• Haha 1
Just now, WestCoastMets said:

Not a chance you can turn a blind eye.    Or it’s 30M and a mess for 2 seasons.   

Just now, griffin727 said:

Was the amount of the fine what triggered the void?

300Kish.    Now he owes them money 🤣.  Fantastic 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Berko1se said:

And Rosenhaus just went on national TV and said that Antonio Brown was 100% fine.

It's in his best interest to stick this out with AB, even if the final destination is retirement.

Yes, you are right. Rousenhaus does. I misread and thought you were referring to Maylock.

5 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

Alright guys, which teams have the cap space for this year ? 

I think the better question is which teams are so desperate for playmakers that they're willing to take on a clown show of this magnitude?

Antonio Brown asks for release

Things are also complicated if the Raiders do not release or suspend Brown for the first game of the season. If Brown is on the roster he would receive full protection of his 2019 (but not 2020) $14.625 million salary through the Termination Pay protection provided to veterans in the CBA. Termination pay can also be voided through actions where the team demonstrates that the player is not putting forth a good faith effort to fulfill his contract. Again this requires written warnings, and so on, so it would mean needing more drama in the regular season. (edit per Adam Schefter the team already has done this) If not on the roster for week 1 the only 25% of the players salary is guaranteed through Termination Pay. That is certainly a big number but not  the full amount.

Teams have the right to fine a player up to one weeks pay and/or suspend him for up to four weeks for conduct detrimental to the team. While the Raiders already fined him I do believe they can still suspend him based on how I read the CBA. That may be the most likely outcome.

During this entire process that has occurred I have wondered a few times if this is simply Brown looking to retire from the NFL or maybe just get to play for a different team. This is where there is an entirely different consideration. Brown’s contract was traded from the Steelers to the Raiders. With a trade the acquiring team retains the rights to recover any remaining signing bonus prorations from a contract via the forfeiture clauses of the NFL CBA.

The bonus that Brown received from the Steelers was $19 million, $11.4 million of which is still outstanding. The Raiders, if Brown walks away from the team, have the right to recover $11.4 million from Brown in addition to not paying him his guaranteed salary. If Brown is released the Raiders do not recover that money.

• Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, WestCoastMets said:

I'd say two points: (1) his contract for 2019 would be fully guaranteed as a vested veteran. Any voiding would be of future guarantees. So he's essentially on a one year deal; and (2) was the fine for prior actions or for leaking the video? I'm asking as I'm not sure, but I kind of thought the fine was for additional actions after the two had "made up"

6 minutes ago, WestCoastMets said:

That's the not series of events. First he apologized, so they said he's playing. Then he inexplicably posted the video with the Gruden audio and they cracked down on him. Their punishments were all reactionary. 

• Like 1
Just now, P@ckersFan said:

That's the not series of events. First he apologized, so they said he's playing. Then he inexplicably posted the video with the Gruden audio and they cracked down on him. Their punishments were all reactionary. 

Or did he post the video after getting the big fine?  🤔 

im not clear on the timing