NBC Sports Edge Forums

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

32 minutes ago, Berko1se said:

His losses? AB could easily sign another contract, if cut. If anything, sticking with AB would be a show of good faith for other players.

Given with the way this is playing out, I'm not sure how easily he would be signed to another contract. Even if he is I doubt it would be for the same amount guaranteed.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steelers locker room  

that feeling when you’re immediately proven wrong 🤣     

Posted Images

1 minute ago, bengalfan27 said:

something tells me Gruden and Mayock are not on the same page. we will never know for sure because unlike Antonio neither will air their dirty laundry

100%

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rainyy said:

Doubt he plays another snap for the Raiders.  

Where are the most likely destinations?  Jets?  Patriots? 

No where, no one will even dare

take a chance. You’re sacrificing the whole locker room with this guy

4 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Gruden was behind the signings (AB, Burfict, Richie) while Mayock stressing character is clearly behind the draft.  Trouble in paradise.

The AB trade was mutually agreed upon by Mayock and Gruden.

4 minutes ago, kwelch said:

Given with the way this is playing out, I'm not sure how easily he would be signed to another contract. Even if he is I doubt it would be for the same amount guaranteed.

So, you ride it out and show everyone that you care about the guy, instead of cutting losses.

• Like 1
Just now, bengalfan27 said:

Antonio makes TO ,Beckham and Moss seem like choir boys

If TO had Twitter and IG, who knows what that guy would have done.

"Wait...I don't need to do shirtless sit ups to get a message out to the world, I can just post s--- online? Let's go!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Yeah that would make me more critical of mayock.   You went through this whole apology with teammates and Gruden backing him.   Then yank his guarantees.    

IF that’s how it went down 

🤷‍♂️

Right, not sure. 

From the minute I saw the video I thought all the apologies and understanding went out the window. Using the audio from a private conversation with your team's head coach (which obviously isn't scripted or approved by the team) seems like something the self-serious NFL brass would be very ticked about.

Content-wise the video depicts Gruden as being weak with Brown (Gruden knows the only way to get through to him is to agree with him) and paints the Raiders as the ones being difficult when it came to their troubled relationship. The front office has to take the line that the name and image of the Black and Silver trumps all.

Then idea of posting a video like that, aside from the content itself, casts Brown again as someone who thinks he's bigger than the team and unwilling to think before he acts.

As far as the money goes, I don't disagree with Mayock voiding the guarantees, because Brown is showing every indication that he's not going to end up earning that money, whether it be due to suspensions, sitting games, etc. He's been a non-stop circus since week 17 of last year and I can understand Mayock wanting to take his $30 million off the train before it goes off the track permanently. 

Edited by P@ckersFan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Berko1se said:

If TO had Twitter and IG, who knows what that guy would have done.

"Wait...I don't need to do shirtless sit ups to get a message out to the world, I can just post s--- online? Let's go!"

TO was on first take yesterday saying he was being crazy even for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So it's pretty clear that AB intended to record Gruden calling him (for the video he released), which means premeditation.

Now, I'm not talking legalese here, but my point is, this seems PLANNED.

I don't think AB wanted to play for the Raiders at all.  I think he wanted out of Pittsburgh, and ended up somewhere he didn't want to be.

He's doing everything he can to get cut; my assumption is so he can be a FA and choose his next team, vs. being traded to a team with very little chance of winning a SB.

I think he wants to play for a contender.  The feet thing, the helmet, losing the helmet thing, agreeing to let it go, then going back to the helmet thing, missing practice, trying to pick a fist fight with Mayock.  He's doing EVERYTHING he can to get cut.  That's what he wants.

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed AC content
  • Like 1

This guy is working hard for the Rocksforbrains-Terrell-Owens-Chad-Johnson-Butthead of the Year award :lol:  Get this instagram post:

"I have worked my whole life to prove that the system is blind to see talent like mines.Now that everyone sees it, they want me to conform to that same system that has failed me all those years

I didn't know it took so much talent to build a mine.  

And failed him? Dude you're a multi-millionaire, fame and glory despite being such a total a$$. That only one who failed you is you. I hope you are traded to Miami and they continue to suck and you pout for years to come. Better yet nobody signs you, you fritter away your money, and we hear about you in jail for a hostile confrontation with a manager of a McDs because your fries weren't hot enough. 

Unfortunately I think he will still be fantasy relevant somewhere, but he'll never be on my team. Way too risky because of this. And this year I wouldn't touch him in a trade or anything else.

6 minutes ago, Berko1se said:

You're forgetting who acquired him in the first place.

Mayock placed an emphasis on character during the draft, but signs AB?

He lets the captains stand side by side with AB during an apology, knowing that the situation is about to reach further escalation?

Mayock was completely right to ultimately do everything that he did. But with Antonio Brown, you need to use some tact, and that's something Mayock doesn't possess.

EDIT: Tough love doesn't work with a diva like AB, unless you're okay with the distraction that follows. If his ultimate goal was to push AB over the edge so that they could get out from the contract, then he worked this to perfection. If the goal was to get AB back into the fold and on the same page with the team, then tough love was the worst path to take.

Seems to me like they tried the soft love approach all summer. That didn’t work. 

I was under the impression that his latest fine came after he posted that video of a private conversation with Gruden hours after he apologized and said he wouldn’t do this anymore. The guy has been a complete train wreck and gotten multiple chances already. Non tough love clearly has no effect.

Also the Raiders are on the hook for no money so given his upside I also don’t fault Maylock for taking a chance. This is the same as drafting AB  in the 8th round in fantasy: if he hits your in a great spot and if not your not on the hook for franchise player capital.

I don’t think there were any WRs in free agency or the draft that could have been a difference maker for the Raiders this year so it seems like it was a decent gamble to me. 

I will fault Maylock and the medical staff for not doing more diligence as to whether AB has CTE. I don’t know if there is a reliable cat scan or test for it but it’s pretty obvious he’s got it. Had they seen this a few months ago they could have saved themselves the trouble 

Dude is done, will NEVER play another snap anywhere. 

Teams won’t touch him, they will not sacrifice a man’s health (physical or mental) or the camaraderie of the other 52 to win football games. Raiders were one of the few dumb suitors to even try, no there’s no dumb suitors left. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cdub2k said:

they get rid of K Mack and A Cooper, two guys in their mid 20's and in their prime, and they trade for this 31 year old mental head case. Exactly what is the plan for the Raiders?

Not just that but they are also high character men and are very professional, all you could hope for in young talent these days. For the life of me I’ll never understand Gruden moving those guys out like that. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, fruitjacket said:

So it's pretty clear that AB intended to record Gruden calling him (for the video he released), which means premeditation.

Now, I'm not talking legalese here, but my point is, this seems PLANNED.

I don't think AB wanted to play for the Raiders at all. 

So he signed the contract at gunpoint? 

3 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

AB was Gruden's guy. He literally says that in AB's video that Gruden is the one who brought AB in because AB was his favorite player. Pretty disingenuous to put the signing on Mayock. I dont like Mayock but he is saving the Raider's franchise from this mess. 

Also even more disingenious to say it didn't have Mayock's fingerprints on it, at all.

"As intriguing as AB was, we were trying to build a certain way," Mayock said. "But when he became available at a different level, it was kinda like, we can change how we practice. We can change what we look like on Sunday. We can change how teams have to defend us. For a three and a five, at that point, we were ready to say, 'It looks like free agency's got to change for us.'" 

2 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Seems to me like they tried the soft love approach all summer. That didn’t work. 

I was under the impression that his latest fine came after he posted that video of a private conversation with Gruden hours after he apologized and said he wouldn’t do this anymore. The guy has been a complete train wreck and gotten multiple chances already. Non tough love clearly has no effect.

Also the Raiders are on the hook for no money so given his upside I also don’t fault Maylock for taking a chance. This is the same as drafting AB  in the 8th round in fantasy: if he hits your in a great spot and if not your not on the hook for franchise player capital.

I don’t think there were any WRs in free agency or the draft that could have been a difference maker for the Raiders this year so it seems like it was a decent gamble to me. 

I will fault Maylock and the medical staff for not doing more diligence as to whether AB has CTE. I don’t know if there is a reliable cat scan or test for it but it’s pretty obvious he’s got it. Had they seen this a few months ago they could have saved themselves the trouble 

They traded a 3 and a 5 for AB. It wasn't a signing where it was risk free.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

For trading for him in the first place.  Now they are screwed for 2019 at wr.

OK, I'll give you that. To a certain extent. I mean, was there a risk? Absolutely. But, a HUGE reward if he came in with his mind straight and ready to ball out. Obviously, that was not the case, I mean, could anyone have imagined this kind of a complete a total meltdown? I doubt it. 

Besides, I'll guarantee you that Gruden played a HUGE part in making that deal. It ain't all on Mayock. 

• Like 1