NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

Corleone

Message added by tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

11 minutes ago, devaster said:

What is your agenda against AB and Bell?

There is a ' I hate this player on a deeply personal level and am going to spend all of my free time posting bad things about him on the internet' person in every thread. 

38 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Now Rapoport is saying the Jets are making a push to trade for Brown.  And the RW blurb writer breathlessly opines that "momentum is building" for a trade.

What rot!  Brown's agent is spoon-feeding Rapoport with these transparently self-serving "scoops."  Would any team in their right mind trade for this talented but toxic touchdown-scorer and locker room cancer?  I guess we'll find out...

The barrier to a Brown trade is not his talent or his attitude or diva ways; it is first and foremost HIS CONTRACT.

I think 90% of the league would have a problem digesting a new guaranteed contract and 90% would happily take him with his current steelers contract 🤪

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, devaster said:

It's these new age entitled athletes who don't know their place that  get Sharkswimmers goat; they don't make them  like Johnny unitas, Jim Brown and knute Rockne anymore 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

It's these new age entitled athletes who don't know their place that  get Sharkswimmers goat; they don't make them  like Johnny unitas, Jim Brown and knute Rockne anymore 🤣

Sure they do, he is the QB in New England.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dashoe said:

I correlate his behavior to his increase in social media usage. I think it's easy for todays players to get caught in the echo chamber of social media. years ago they would read press clips in magazines, now they get instant feedback from fans on social media. Magazines  and forming a positive press image for journalists are almost irrelevant to this new era of athlete. Easier to interact with fans direct and be yourself

Lol, social media has been alive and well since 2010, the year AB has been drafted.  Not like he was drafted in 94.

2 hours ago, devaster said:

No agenda.  I just think Bell and Brown's stories, and their clashes with the Steelers, are interesting.  And I think the coverage of those stories is largely garbage.  So it is fun for me to discuss these topics.

28 minutes ago, kdko said:

Lol, social media has been alive and well since 2010, the year AB has been drafted.  Not like he was drafted in 94.

Did you miss the part where I said his INCREASE  in social media use? Were athletes posting workout and highlight vids of themselves on twtr/FB/Snap/IG in 2010? Could you even upload vids in 2010 on your phone?  Last I checked IG was created in 2010, Snapchat was created in 2012 the same year of FB's IPO and i would guesstimate 99.99% of current users on those social platforms were not using them in 2010.

So your attempt at wit is akin to saying cars have been alive and well since the first automobile was invented in 1880. . . but you are disingenuous if u didnt add that the automobile industry didnt penetrate the masses until 1908 when the first model T rolled off the assembly line and millions of people could afford to buy a car 👀

One Bitcoin worth $10k? You could have made a bitcoin for $1 and on your home PC in 2012.. .🤣

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

This comment made me smile.  I have no problem with pro athletes leveraging their skills to achieve max paydays.  That's what Brown and Bell think they are doing.

But they are wrong.  Bell just sat out one of his prime years, and he's never getting that money back.

Brown is being even more ridiculous.  Under contract for the next three years, he seems to think he can quit on his team, then act like a turd, and then get MORE money.

It's really a crackup to me.  And the national media are just lapping it up.

smh

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

This comment made me smile.  I have no problem with pro athletes leveraging their skills to achieve max paydays.  That's what Brown and Bell think they are doing.

But they are wrong.  Bell just sat out one of his prime years, and he's never getting that money back.

Brown is being even more ridiculous.  Under contract for the next three years, he seems to think he can quit on his team, then act like a turd, and then get MORE money.

It's really a crackup to me.  And the national media are just lapping it up.

I find it funny also, and waiting to hear the news about which far corner of Siberia the steelers send AB off to has been worth the attention.

• Like 2

I think the reality is that it will be nearly impossible for the Steelers to get value in a trade for Brown because of the way he's been acting.  Therefore they are going to hang on to him, and things will get very interesting this fall.

57 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I think the reality is that it will be nearly impossible for the Steelers to get value in a trade for Brown because of the way he's been acting.  Therefore they are going to hang on to him, and things will get very interesting this fall.

The ability to get value out of him in a trade or on the field is close to being gone if he keeps this up.

Yes, if they simply cut him they would be losing 21m or so in cap space, but would it be better decision for the Steelers to keep him and waste 190m because he destroys the team?

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

Did you miss the part where I said his INCREASE  in social media use? Were athletes posting workout and highlight vids of themselves on twtr/FB/Snap/IG in 2010? Could you even upload vids in 2010 on your phone?  Last I checked IG was created in 2010, Snapchat was created in 2012 the same year of FB's IPO and i would guesstimate 99.99% of current users on those social platforms were not using them in 2010.

So your attempt at wit is akin to saying cars have been alive and well since the first automobile was invented in 1880. . . but you are disingenuous if u didnt add that the automobile industry didnt penetrate the masses until 1908 when the first model T rolled off the assembly line and millions of people could afford to buy a car 👀

One Bitcoin worth $10k? You could have made a bitcoin for $1 and on your home PC in 2012.. .🤣

I read that, and it doesn't matter.  Your point was booboo, and you can't prove there's a correlation.  All players have increased their social media usage.  This has nothing to do with his increase in social media.  It's who AB is.  It's who T.O was.  It's who Chad Johnson was.  It's not who Larry Fitzgerald is.  Which is why the others are in AB's corner, and a player like Fitz isn't.  .

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

The ability to get value out of him in a trade or on the field is close to being gone if he keeps this up.

Yes, if they simply cut him they would be losing 21m or so in cap space, but would it be better decision for the Steelers to keep him and waste 190m because he destroys the team?

Whether it is best for the Steelers or not, you know they are going to dig in their heels if they can't get a very high pick for him.

And there is no way they will give Brown a new deal, either.  So the ball may very well be in Brown's court to play for Pittsburgh under this same deal when September of 2019 rolls around.

5 hours ago, thebadferret said:

I'd like to see AB win a ring with the Patriots just to stick it to the Steelers. Will never happen but anyways :)

Better chance that AB gets caught in a ring with another Patriot.

Supposed to be traded by Friday.  Gotta think these are the likely landing spots for AB: 

Dumpster fires not likely to change soon: ARI, OAK, BUF  

Bad short term but longer term who knows:  WAS, MIA, JAX 

Good fits with good mid/long term outlooks: IND, CLE, GB

Great short term (prime SB contenders right now) but with a "might retire soon" QB:   NE, NO

Just because it's basically the worst possible outcome for both AB and fantasy purposes I'm going to predict he gets shipped to Miami who waives Tannenhill to clear the cap space to trade for AB then proceeds to draft Daniel Jones (Duke) to throw to him. Both wind up with numbers worse than 2018 Cardinals. 

• Like 2

I am going to predict no team offers a 1st rounder, and the Steelers pay the $2.5 million on 3-17-2019.  It's peanuts, and it will allow the Steelers to hang on to their asset and try to get value down the road.  Also, they don't actually have to pay the cash on that day; per AB's contract, the 2.5 is spread out equally over tge 16 game checks.

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

Again, 0.00000 percent chance he gets traded to NE.

Agreed.  BB hoards draft picks and he rarely pays WRs.  Also, the Steelers likely view New England as their principal obstacle to reaching the Superbowl.  If so, they're wrong about that.  Their genuine main impediments are Mssrs. Tomlin and Roethlisberger.

22 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Agreed.  BB hoards draft picks and he rarely pays WRs.  Also, the Steelers likely view New England as their principal obstacle to reaching the Superbowl.  If so, they're wrong about that.  Their genuine main impediments are Mssrs. Tomlin and Roethlisberger.

NE gave up a 1st for Cooks a couple seasons back. If they had the opportunity to give up the last pick in the 1st round for a talented WR I think they would do it. They also just jettisoned a bunch of players they didn't want to extend, so they have cap room. If NE could get AB for the 32nd pick of the 1st round I would think they would do it, but I don't think Pittsburgh makes that trade.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jumper said:

Supposed to be traded by Friday.  Gotta think these are the likely landing spots for AB: 

Dumpster fires not likely to change soon: ARI, OAK, BUF  

Bad short term but longer term who knows:  WAS, MIA, JAX 

Good fits with good mid/long term outlooks: IND, CLE, GB

Great short term (prime SB contenders right now) but with a "might retire soon" QB:   NE, NO

Just because it's basically the worst possible outcome for both AB and fantasy purposes I'm going to predict he gets shipped to Miami who waives Tannenhill to clear the cap space to trade for AB then proceeds to draft Daniel Jones (Duke) to throw to him. Both wind up with numbers worse than 2018 Cardinals. 

I would love to see the end result  if he leaves Pitt of what his new contract structure would be. It would really be a head scratcher if he went through all of these theatrics and his agent didnt have a tentative deal in place with a new team or a restructure with the steelers that he hasnt agreed to.  This situation is all fundamentally about money for everyone involved.

40 minutes ago, devaster said:

NE gave up a 1st for Cooks a couple seasons back. If they had the opportunity to give up the last pick in the 1st round for a talented WR I think they would do it. They also just jettisoned a bunch of players they didn't want to extend, so they have cap room. If NE could get AB for the 32nd pick of the 1st round I would think they would do it, but I don't think Pittsburgh makes that trade.

I didn't mean the Pat's wouldn't do it. The Steelers won't. Period.