NBC Sports Edge Forums

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

1 minute ago, oban14 said:

I get why people would mark this as "confused" but if you sign up to marry a drama queen part of that is handling them with kid gloves.  Yes it's a team, yes everyone should be treated the same, yes everyone is replaceable (sort of) but if coming down hard on someone is going to result in worse and worse behavior and a worse and worse relationship, don't do it or end it.  If you want a quiet, professional WR who isn't going to cause drama don't trade for AB (or OBJ, or Ocho Cinco, etc).  Trade for Michael Thomas.

Drama queen or not, he's a grown a** man who's acting like a 5 year old.   Regardless of what happened in Pittsburgh, this is all next level stuff from Brown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steelers locker room  

that feeling when you’re immediately proven wrong 🤣     

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, bengalfan27 said:

If your dealing with a hot head and that individual is important to you you shut up and take it. not escalate it even further with a suspension If it starts affecting his performance on the field then you act not before then. All this could have been avoided had Mayock ignored it. Like Giants did with Beckham. the Raiders team now will suffer because the GM's  pride is hurt. Yes AB is a basket case but you should have known you would have to treat him differently than everyone else when you traded for him.

Yes if a spoiled child acts up, don't punish them, ignore them, what great advice. 

Props to Mayock for having a spine and not letting this clown think he can do whatever he wants and get away with it because of this athletic ability. More NFL mgt (like oh say Goodell, and god knows how many parents for that matter) could learn from that example. The possibility of this shat is exactly why I didn't draft him. lol @ unfollowing Carr. Grow the hell up Brown. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I don't think Mayock can ignore it.  Then his team wouldn't respect him.  I think he probably had the opportunity to take the high road and didn't.  I don't know what happened but I imagine Brown confronted him over the fine and Mayock took exception and escalated it.  If he just calmly said "rules are rules" and walked away from it like he is above it, maybe it doesn't turn into this.

Having said that, you can't pin it on Mayock.  Brown missed practices and he knows he's not supposed to do that.  If he had a shred of personal responsibility, he would just pay the fine.

Mayock shouldn't have fined him, or at the very least should have expected this in response.  Now he doesn't have a choice.  He could have very well said "rules are rules" and AB could have gone bonkers anyway.  I'm not saying what Mayock did was wrong, but it was the wrong thing to do if you wanted a good reaction and relationship from this player.

10 minutes ago, bengalfan27 said:

If your dealing with a hot head and that individual is important to you you shut up and take it. not escalate it even further with a suspension If it starts affecting his performance on the field then you act not before then. All this could have been avoided had Mayock ignored it. Like Giants did with Beckham. the Raiders team now will suffer because the GM's  pride is hurt. Yes AB is a basket case but you should have known you would have to treat him differently than everyone else when you traded for him.

What is this, kindergarten? He's a pro. He has yet to act like it. Just nonstop drama.

What do you suggest they do? Make it all about AB 24/7? He's a joke at this point. The season starts in less than a week. He's either all in or all out like the GM said. Enough already.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, bengalfan27 said:

Elite athletes get special treatment all the time. The average player knows it comes with the territory

Giving a guy extra space at his locker or overlooking being late for a meeting or practice? Sure. Letting a player get away with mouthing off and threatening the GM in front of the team? Nope. Not gonna fly, and it shouldn’t. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

And get paid $30M before you even show up for your first day of work.

Right. Though in my admittedly second hand experience, being so valuable that you're paid $30 million before your first day of work means you'll likely able to get away with a lot of outrageous conduct with a slap on the wrist or less

This is me as an AB owner hoping for the entitled wacko diva to win the day just this time...

Edited by rex_bulkhead

I think AB owner's best hope here is that, in the next couple days, these guys figure out how to get it back together and get past this.  Kiss and make up, no suspension, AB pays his fines, and they say "we're on the same page and we back each other....sometimes things get out of hand".

How likely this is probably depends on whether AB is capable of acting like a mature adult.  Given his Instagram behavior, I don't have a lot of hope for that.

4 minutes ago, rex_bulkhead said:

So barring some miraculous reconciliation, what should us miserable AB owners be hoping for, the Raiders to suspend him for 1-4 games or to cut him and hope another team bites?

Pray he gets cut so another team can sign him.  Even if he plays at this point, it's hard to trust his production all all this going on.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bomont said:

Yes if a spoiled child acts up, don't punish them, ignore them, what great advice. 

Props to Mayock for having a spine and not letting this clown think he can do whatever he wants and get away with it because of this athletic ability. More NFL mgt (like oh say Goodell, and god knows how many parents for that matter) could learn from that example. The possibility of this shat is exactly why I didn't draft him. lol @ unfollowing Carr. Grow the hell up Brown. 

This isn't a child, this is a grown man acting like a child.  If this were a factory and he had a pile of 20 resumes to replace anyone, it's the right thing to do.  When you're dealing with a #1 WR, they don't grow on trees, and you can either treat him with kid gloves and walk on egg shells or make him worse.  AB's behavior is horrible, but it's entirely predictable, and it's entirely avoidable if he had thought twice about fining a diva who had already created enough drama to last the whole season.

7 minutes ago, bengalfan27 said:

Elite athletes get special treatment all the time. The average player knows it comes with the territory

Sure, you give them an extra pat on the back, an extra "great job" or maybe the last slice of pizza, but do you think Belichick, Coughlin, Parcells and many other great coaches established a hierarchy based on performance? Do you think they would let a player tell them that he will punch them in their face?

Edited by nonstopfan

And don't underestimate a team's willingness to move on from a player regardless of how good he is.   Management and the head coach are all wealthy.  And it's not like they're about to compete for a Super Bowl.  They can get rid of Brown and they'll have moved past it by the next day.  

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I think AB owner's best hope here is that, in the next couple days, these guys figure out how to get it back together and get past this.  Kiss and make up, no suspension, AB pays his fines, and they say "we're on the same page and we back each other....sometimes things get out of hand".

How likely this is probably depends on whether AB is capable of acting like a mature adult.  Given his Instagram behavior, I don't have a lot of hope for that.

Agreed, that's clearly the ideal outcome for AB owners. But among the more likely outcomes of (1) suspended for up to 4 games or (2) cut and available for another team to sign, which should we root for?

Mayock shouldn't have fined him, or at the very least should have expected this in response.  Now he doesn't have a choice.  He could have very well said "rules are rules" and AB could have gone bonkers anyway.  I'm not saying what Mayock did was wrong, but it was the wrong thing to do if you wanted a good reaction and relationship from this player.

He has to fine him.  Otherwise, he can't fine anyone for missing practice.  The next guy will just say "hey, why you fining me because I didn't feel like coming in?  You didn't fine AB."  Mayock had no choice.

I think he probably reached his breaking point. And it's hard to blame him after Brown's dysfunction was on full blast on Hard Knocks for the world to see. There comes a point when it's not worth the risk of losing the locker room and tarnishing the image of a franchise just to win a few more games. 

2 minutes ago, fruitjacket said:

I hope he gets cut.

And I hope nobody signs him and he's out of the league.

I'm tired of his crybaby bull****.

Or at the very least is traded to the Dolphins. And made a third-string WR. 

3 minutes ago, goldpants77 said:

Brown will be made an example of if he does not come out publically with an apology in next 48 hours. You can only push The Man too far before they lash back with a vengeance. Ego kills careers

I'm no PR expert, but I think this is a good time to sign up for therapy, lie about how remorseful you are, say some positive things about mental health and how you're working to improve yourself, sorry to coach/mayock/the team, and appreciate their support as you work through it all.

Just now, jmcampbe11 said:

I think he probably reached his breaking point. And it's hard to blame him after Brown's dysfunction was on full blast on Hard Knocks for the world to see. There comes a point when it's not worth the risk of losing the locker room and tarnishing the image of a franchise just to win a few more games. 

I just hope they had this conversation before the trade.  "Hey, if he's a ton of drama we're going to cut bait before the season starts".

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, rex_bulkhead said:

Right. Though in my admittedly second hand experience, being so valuable that you're paid $30 million before your first day of work means you'll likely able to get away with a lot of outrageous conduct with a slap on the wrist or less

This is me as an AB owner hoping for the entitled wacko diva to win the day just this time...

I just had an Ernie McCracken flashback... Someone please queue up this gif.

This isn't a child, this is a grown man acting like a child.  If this were a factory and he had a pile of 20 resumes to replace anyone, it's the right thing to do.  When you're dealing with a #1 WR, they don't grow on trees, and you can either treat him with kid gloves and walk on egg shells or make him worse.  AB's behavior is horrible, but it's entirely predictable, and it's entirely avoidable if he had thought twice about fining a diva who had already created enough drama to last the whole season.

Entirely predictable? Yeah we all knew Burfict would have to hold AB back from attacking the GM. 

What are you talking about? This is way over the diva line.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

He has to fine him.  Otherwise, he can't fine anyone for missing practice.  The next guy will just say "hey, why you fining me because I didn't feel like coming in?  You didn't fine AB."  Mayock had no choice.

"AB and I had a conversation about it, there was a misunderstanding but I believe we have move past it, and he will be fined going forward."

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, bengalfan27 said:

Special treatment, yeah probably. You’re saying give him a completely different set of rules from everybody else. Hell no...good for Mayock standing up to him