NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Sale 2019 Outlook

• tonycpsu changed the title to Chris Sale 2019 Outlook

For me, he’s the best in the world at what he does. The K’s and K:BB numbers are league-winning good. The Red Sox should (obviously) be a great team again this year. With any luck, he’ll stay healthy all year— but, if you are worried just trade him around July for pretty much anyone you’d like.

Let Scherzer be the first pitcher picked in your draft, and get the better player IRL and for fantasy 2nd. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SportsFan10 said:

What would you do in dynasty or keeper league? If he has become an elite first half pitcher but above average with injury concern in second half, would you still trade him?

I had these same questions because a team offered me Sale a week or two ago. I know he’s good but he fades down the stretch and had a strange elbow injury last year. He had an MRI in December and the Red Sox say there was no structural damage so I assume he’s healthy. 

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Anything recent on Sale? I'm trying to decide whether or not to hang onto him as a 2nd rd keeper, but I'm awfully nervous about his shoulder and/or elbow. 

I havent seen anything new

im keeping him at a 2nd round value in my auction with the intention of selling for a diff stud SP mid season (depending how his shoulder is holding up and such)

seems like the safe way to go about it

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Anything recent on Sale? I'm trying to decide whether or not to hang onto him as a 2nd rd keeper, but I'm awfully nervous about his shoulder and/or elbow. 

He said last month he feels 100% fine again and is throwing at full throttle and has his "whip" delivery back with no pain etc.  Does he remains fine?   Well everyone could worry about every pitcher's arm.   As Yoda would say:  Worry or worry not.  I'm not worrying about any pitcher until something actually happens because why put yourself through high blood pressure for nothing.

BTW it was his shoulder (inflammation) last season.  There was nothing wrong with his elbow.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He said last month he feels 100% fine again and is throwing at full throttle and has his "whip" delivery back with no pain etc.  Does he remains fine?   Well everyone could worry about every pitcher's arm.   As Yoda would say:  Worry or worry not.  I'm not worrying about any pitcher until something actually happens because why put yourself through high blood pressure for nothing.

BTW it was his shoulder (inflammation) last season.  There was nothing wrong with his elbow.

I worry about every pitcher :lol:. LOL! I'm dislike pitching so much because I've been burned so many times. My draft strategy typically centers around waiting for pitchers. 

And thanks for the shoulder confirmation. I was pretty sure it was just his shoulder, but a poster above mentioned his elbow. Thought maybe I missed that. 

• Like 1

First let me say tha I had Sale (for the first time ever) in my most competitive league last year and he carried me to victory.  My pitching was pretty Mediocre except for him.

That being said, no I doubt I will touch Sale in any of my leagues this year.  The risk is too high for the price.  Much like I don't trust Kershaw for 2019, one of the main reasons is his coming in and throwing in the bullpen in the playoffs.  I understand why the Red Sox did it but from a fantasy 2019 standpoint, it sucks. Combine his injury risk with him spot-relieving with him for extended innings in the playoffs?  The risk is so high.  IIRC there have been a number of SPs used in the playoffs and a correlation of him getting hurt the next year to combine with the injury problems he already had.

Edited by KingJoffrey

3 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

First let me say tha I had Sale (for the first time ever) in my most competitive league last year and he carried me to victory.  My pitching was pretty Mediocre except for him.

That being said, no I doubt I will touch Sale in any of my leagues this year.  The risk is too high for the price.  Much like I don't trust Kershaw for 2019, one of the main reasons is his coming in and throwing in the bullpen in the playoffs.  I understand why the Red Sox did it but from a fantasy 2019 standpoint, it sucks. Combine his injury risk with him spot-relieving with him for extended innings in the playoffs?  The risk is so high.  IIRC there have been a number of SPs used in the playoffs and a correlation of him getting hurt the next year to combine with the injury problems he already had.

He relieved very little in the playoff and only then because he couldn't start later in the playoffs because of the shoulder.  And his main relief was the last inning of the last game as kind of a gift to him to be the guy on the mound at the end.

• Like 2

They did also try and limit his innings in the second half of the season.  I agree, there is risk, but depending on where he's available in your draft the reward could be greater.  He's more valuable, imo, in a league that allows trades.  I would not hesitate to get 15-20 starts or so out of him, then address another area of need.  Of course, he would have to make it to that point without injury. 

Edited by BigPapi44

Clearly his arm can’t really withstand a full season.  Each year he has pitched 200+ innings he has fallen off in the last month or two each time.  And the other years he has been hurt has hasn’t pitched.  I think his value takes a big hit in H2H leagues because of this, he may carry you to the playoffs, but you’re gonna need to win with him giving you a 4+ ERA in September during the playoffs.

In roto he’s right there with scherzer is the best sure bet for insane k/9 with amazing peripherals.  I’d bet more on Kluber falling out of favor of the top 5 than Sale this year.

As much as I love Sale I just can't see the justification for drafting him as early and at the cost he is going to go.  Solely for the injury risk.  It is probably best to draft another player that has less injury risk and accept a little less production.

44 minutes ago, B&F said:

As much as I love Sale I just can't see the justification for drafting him as early and at the cost he is going to go.  Solely for the injury risk.  It is probably best to draft another player that has less injury risk and accept a little less production.

Maybe...maybe not. If you can get a studly 150 innings out of Sale and pair him with 50 innings from another SP (maybe a FA pickup...there are always some who emerge during the season), then aren't you better off just taking those stud innings from Sale? 

I remember reading an article on PitcherList last year that dealt with this issue with Kershaw (or maybe the year before). Their conclusion was that you're better off taking the stud pitcher, pair him with a competent SP when he goes on the DL, and still end up with elite results. 

I figure one of these years Sale is going to put together a stud CY 33-start, 220-inning season, in which he doesn't flame out over the last two months. Maybe. LOL. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I figure one of these years Sale is going to put together a stud CY 33-start, 220-inning season, in which he doesn't flame out over the last two months. Maybe. LOL. 

Not saying he can’t do that, but I don’t think the Red Sox are gonna let him bring 200 innings ever again. They need to save him as much as they can for the playoffs

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 9:39 AM, RBI Sports said:

Anyone know what is velocity has been this spring?

Chris Sale made it through a simulated game Monday with no issues.

Jason Mastrodonato of the Boston Herald writes that his fastball was from 91-93 mph throughout. The southpaw says he held back a bit, but was confident he could ramp it up if needed. Perhaps most importantly, he said his shoulder has felt good since he started throwing in December. The staff ace thinks he'll be ready to go in five days. He'll be good to go in time for Opening Day.

Mar 11, 2019, 1:38 PM

This Is a good article 

Edited by Under500Forever