NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Sale 2019 Outlook

• 3 weeks later...

Among active pitchers, if you add ... Justin Verlander's 12+ K starts (16) + Stephen Strasburg's 12+ K starts (11) + Jacob deGrom's 12+ K starts (10) = Chris Sale's 12+ K starts (37) WOW

He can read my mind. Puts down all the right fingers. I just follow his lead." -Chris Sale with praise for his catcher, Sandy Leon #RedSox

Great outing for Sale!

another immaculate inning for Sale. He’s the first pitcher to have 2 immaculate innings in a season since 1928 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Since April 23rd (11 starts):

1st in K

1st in K%

1st in K/9

1st in K-BB%

1st in FIP

1st in xFIP

1st in IP

4th in WHIP

Also, his HR/9 since his first start of the season is 0.8. He allowed 3 HR in that first start but has allowed 8 in his next 14 starts.

tenor.gif?itemid=12209324

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

any worries about him struggling after the all-star break?

What exactly are you worried about?  He’s one of the very few truly elite pitchers.  Doesn’t mean he’s going to pitch great every game but he will have more dominant outings than just about anybody else.

2 hours ago, roscobangs said:

As usual, yes. Will I do anything about it? As usual, no.

Is that smart? Definitely not.

I always get the worst offers for him,  and every single person references the late year slide.  We ride together friend.  He's the hardest guy for me to trade away,  despite carrying tons of value.  

• Like 1

So the Sale owners all know he has been a first half ride, sell 2nd half guy, u think that is revered this year or are you about 2-3 weeks from unloading?

Sale can be a 2nd half guy, in 2017 Post All-Star he had 86.2 IP 130 K's 3.12 ERA 1.07 WHIP, in 2018 (with injury) had 29 IP 49 K's 1.55 ERA, 0.69 WHIP.  Last two years post All-Star.

I'm holding my Sale shares.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 8:17 AM, mspangle said:

Sale can be a 2nd half guy, in 2017 Post All-Star he had 86.2 IP 130 K's 3.12 ERA 1.07 WHIP, in 2018 (with injury) had 29 IP 49 K's 1.55 ERA, 0.69 WHIP.  Last two years post All-Star.

I'm holding my Sale shares.

They need him this year.   Unlike last year they are not coasting into the playoffs.

On 6/16/2019 at 7:18 PM, Sine_cera said:

Since April 23rd (11 starts):

1st in K

1st in K%

1st in K/9

1st in K-BB%

1st in FIP

1st in xFIP

1st in IP

4th in WHIP

Also, his HR/9 since his first start of the season is 0.8. He allowed 3 HR in that first start but has allowed 8 in his next 14 starts.

tenor.gif?itemid=12209324

I miss these days :(

On 6/27/2019 at 3:48 AM, rotodr said:

So the Sale owners all know he has been a first half ride, sell 2nd half guy, u think that is revered this year or are you about 2-3 weeks from unloading?

I've already sold. Have done so in the past with no regrets. 3.80/1.23 ERA/WHIP in Sept/October. When you're desperately needing elite down the stretch and he gives you "kinda solid" instead, it's crushing. 

I own him, sadly.  And I’d gladly sell low at this point.  Guy looks toast.  He’s still trying to blow 91-93 past hitters and they’re blasting it all over field.  His post game interview was depressing.  Definitely a guy who’s lost his way and going into every gun fight waving knives at this point.  If I can’t move him I don’t expect any better results than a low to mid 4 era.  With these new balls, weather and his diminished stuff there just isn’t much to be optimistic about anymore.

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

I own him, sadly.  And I’d gladly sell low at this point.  Guy looks toast.  He’s still trying to blow 91-93 past hitters and they’re blasting it all over field.  His post game interview was depressing.  Definitely a guy who’s lost his way and going into every gun fight waving knives at this point.  If I can’t move him I don’t expect any better results than a low to mid 4 era.  With these new balls, weather and his diminished stuff there just isn’t much to be optimistic about anymore.

People will still cling to name value. Wait until his next 1R, 11K start and then start shopping like crazy. To give you an idea of the market, I was able to get Soto for him about 2 weeks ago in one league and Buehler + Osuna in exchange for Holland and Sale on Monday in another. He goes through dead-arm periods just about every year where he throws 89-92 for a while, so I expect the velo to pop back up at some point this month.