NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Sale 2019 Outlook

17 hours ago, CharlesHustle said:

So if you owned Sale, would you worry about the past, and his 2nd half declines?

The whole second half decline stuff really isn't true. Go look at his numbers the past seven years in the second half. His xfip is under 3.25 in 6/7 years (only 29 ip in 2018, so sss for last season). 

On 7/5/2019 at 12:40 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Sale had his struggles early on in the season. I expect him to get better ROS. 

So reverse this year me likey, fingers crossed, dude may win some leagues for those who were patient and saw it was just some ironing out before he turned on the JUICE!!!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 6:57 AM, CharlesHustle said:

So if you owned Sale, would you worry about the past, and his 2nd half declines?

But 2nd half declines is a complete myth, look at his numbers post all-star break last two years, they're great numbers. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 9:19 PM, Dr. Whom said:

So we have to bench him when Vazquez is catching? Sale sucks

With the way Vasquez is hitting they have used him recently as a DH occasionally so as not to lose his bat.  JD then plays in the field -- which JD loves -- and they rest some other guy.  So Sandy catches and Vasquez's bat is in the line-up too in this newish move over the last week or two.  That helps the offense for Sale not losing Christian's hot bat.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:05 AM, BMcP said:

His stuff looked fine - the Jays have just had his ticket this year for some reason.

Yeah the Jays have been his kryptonite this year for sure.  Maybe they found some subtle "tell" in his delivery that other teams haven't.  Who knows.  But the only time I might consider sitting him down the stretch is if he is facing the Jays again who, alas, are coming into Fenway after the Dodgers this following week I believe.  I'd rather pitch him in his start against the Dodgers than the Jays in this upside down season.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:57 AM, CharlesHustle said:

No.  He seems more well rested this year.  He is just frustrated he can't figure out what is off with him at times but his arm still seems strong.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

That complete game shutout is a very distant memory.  I don’t think he’s  capable of anything close to that.  I would take even a QS but that seems to be a long shot.  Hopefully this is injury related.  

Velo looked good, just couldn’t sustain over full game.  He’s up in zone too much.  He has to reinvent himself.  He can’t put 91-93 by people anymore.  It’s simply not going to happen.  Needs to get his changeup really dialed in.  That’s the key to survival during this era.  

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Hopefully this guy doesn't face the Yanks during fantasy playoffs

I don't think Sale owners need to worry about his fantasy playoff performance, as they're probably going to miss the playoffs in large part from his season long sucktitude.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

This guy can GFH.

38 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

That’s my ace

people talk trash about the yanks pitching.  Sox needed to add a pitcher worse than the yanks.  Sale is now a number 4...and they just signed him to a huge contract

hell probably be drafted in like the 5th round next year for a "bounce back"....but im not so sure he should be

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

people talk trash about the yanks pitching.  Sox needed to add a pitcher worse than the yanks.  Sale is now a number 4...and they just signed him to a huge contract

hell probably be drafted in like the 5th round next year for a "bounce back"....but im not so sure he should be

I would take him all day in the fifth round. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hangin n wangin said:

I would take him all day in the fifth round. 

i  mean, unless you think he is injured and his velocity is going to increase, i dont see why you would.

you taking him over domingo german?

Edited by jfazz23

4 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

i  mean, unless you think he is injured and his velocity is going to increase, i dont see why you would.

you taking him over domingo german?

Easily. Pitchers have down years, even the best of them. Verlander had them. I still think Sale has really good years ahead of him. He ****** me this year and I hate him since it’s the first time I’ve ever owned him, but if I’m getting 5th round value next year, I’m in.

Edited by hangin n wangin

5 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Easily.

the strikeouts are good....but everything else?  i think you are nuts to take him over German.  im not even sure id draft him as an SP2.

@The Big Bat Theory - i know you are a big sox fan.  where are you drafting him next year?

Edited by jfazz23