Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Sale 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

 

But at seems like a lot of his woes have been against the Yankees.  So as long as he's not pitching against the Yankees during fantasy playoffs, he should be a safe start.

You could say the same about the Jays

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mehtavg2000 said:

But at seems like a lot of his woes have been against the Yankees.  So as long as he's not pitching against the Yankees during fantasy playoffs, he should be a safe start.

In about the last month he was also blown up by the Dodgers, White Sox and Jays.  And yeah the Jays do seem to be his kryptonite to like BMcP mentions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

In about the last month he was also blown up by the Dodgers, White Sox and Jays.  And yeah the Jays do seem to be his kryptonite to like BMcP mentions.

 

Yup I’m just trying to give myself a glimmer of hope. [...] Just hoping he suddenly figures something out.  

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Idoolittle said:

What are the thoughts on Sale ROS? Is he worth pursuing? [...]

 

If you're trading for him at this point (in a non-keeper league), then I assume you're looking to get a bargain for the playoffs.  I can't imagine how anyone can possibly trust this guy in a playoff matchup.  He's just as likely to get completely blown up as he is to get a decent start.  Massive bust.   

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

If you're trading for him at this point (in a non-keeper league), then I assume you're looking to get a bargain for the playoffs.  I can't imagine how anyone can possibly trust this guy in a playoff matchup.  He's just as likely to get completely blown up as he is to get a decent start.  Massive bust.   


Trying not to make this a Bench Coach Discussion (my original post was actually cut short because of this), but essentially looking to trade my injured keeper plus picks for a non-injured keeper. Really just wondering what people think Chris Sale will do the rest of the way and whether he's an asset for this season worth pursuing or whether I should be looking elsewhere. By the sounds of things you're suggesting I should look elsewhere, which I really appreciate.

I guess when I look at Sale I do see that he's been all over the place and had several bad games this year. But he's also had several good games as well. In fact, he still ranks about 35th in quality starts (last year he was 26th). The biggest difference between this year and last year being in his bad games, he's been really bad. Which for someone like Sale who plays with a lot of emotion, I think could be partially due to a lack of focus when things go wrong. So I feel like if he can string together a few more quality starts, that things could turn around for him. That being said, I don't know if that's going to happen. The last two starts again were awful, so I'm kind of on the fence as to whether he's someone worth giving up quality picks for or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Idoolittle said:


Trying not to make this a Bench Coach Discussion (my original post was actually cut short because of this), but essentially looking to trade my injured keeper plus picks for a non-injured keeper. Really just wondering what people think Chris Sale will do the rest of the way and whether he's an asset for this season worth pursuing or whether I should be looking elsewhere. By the sounds of things you're suggesting I should look elsewhere, which I really appreciate.

I guess when I look at Sale I do see that he's been all over the place and had several bad games this year. But he's also had several good games as well. In fact, he still ranks about 35th in quality starts (last year he was 26th). The biggest difference between this year and last year being in his bad games, he's been really bad. Which for someone like Sale who plays with a lot of emotion, I think could be partially due to a lack of focus when things go wrong. So I feel like if he can string together a few more quality starts, that things could turn around for him. That being said, I don't know if that's going to happen. The last two starts again were awful, so I'm kind of on the fence as to whether he's someone worth giving up quality picks for or not.

 

I think it's a sunk year for him.  If you're in a keeper league, it might make sense to buy low.  If it's redraft, stay far away from him (assuming you're in the playoffs)  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

And happy Sale day tomorrow.     🤢

Evening game.  Wish it was day game so I could have an excuse to leave work for a “meeting” and drown my sorrows at the bar for rostering this bust.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everytime I read the tweet below from Rosenthal, it makes me wonder what physical exam did Sale go through (i.e. with a tongue depressor and ear examination (otoscopy)) to finalize his extension before the season started...:ph34r:

In all honesty, Sale should bounce back to Ace level caliber next season. IMO.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still no faith in the guy and my playoffs start next week.  Actually I'm pissed that he blew his wad tonight.  He's on the road next against a tough opponent (Cleveland's season stats don't tell the story with their recent moves to bolster the offense).  

Edited by mehtavg2000
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Still no faith in the guy and my playoffs start next week.  Actually I'm pissed that he blew his wad tonight.  He's on the road next against a tough opponent (Cleveland's season stats don't tell the story with their recent moves to bolster the offense).  

 

Maybe with José Ramirez second half resurgence to respectability but Puig and Franmil Reyes haven't really bolstered the Indians offense. 

Out of the 23 games Sale has started, he has faced a total of 13 different teams. And of those 13 different teams, only four have had an ERA over 4.00. Those four are: Yankees (4 games played), Jays (4 games played), Mariners (1 game played) and Dodgers (1 game played). While being blown out by the Mariners is a head scratcher, I wouldn't bet on an awful pitching performance against the Indians.

Sale can't be a worse option than your 5th starter to kick-off your playoffs. Unless you are stacked at pitching :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...