NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Sale 2019 Outlook

17 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

Velo?

Sat around 91-92. Threw a lot more offspeed pitches than usual. According to beat writers the diminished velo is by design as the Sox want him to hold back some in the early going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, meh2 said:

Sat around 91-92. Threw a lot more offspeed pitches than usual. According to beat writers the diminished velo is by design as the Sox want him to hold back some in the early going.

Thats what I’ve been reading too. If he can do damage sitting at 92 that’s ok with me. 

I’d like him to tone it down a little if it can help him stay healthy. 

Sale looked really good. Velocity is a bit lower than normal but he should be able to throw with a higher velocity as the season goes along. Cora is a very conservative manager so he is doing his best to prolong Sale for the entire season. There is no reason to push a SP in spring training. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 4:08 PM, meh2 said:

Yep.  Sale said after the game he didn't even look at the radar gun once.  He wasn't working on velocity.  He was working on "effectiveness" as in economy of pitchers to get through more innings therefore go deeper in games in the long run.  Why do people always want to know what the velocity is in spring training anyway?

49 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yep.  Sale said after the game he didn't even look at the radar gun once.  He wasn't working on velocity.  He was working on "effectiveness" as in economy of pitchers to get through more innings therefore go deeper in games in the long run.  Why do people always want to know what the velocity is in spring training anyway?

Some interpret velocity as an indicator of future success. Eno Sarris had an article about it in the athletic. Still it's just spring training so always keep that in mind.

10 hours ago, Nightmare130 said:

Some interpret velocity as an indicator of future success. Eno Sarris had an article about it in the athletic. Still it's just spring training so always keep that in mind.

Well they shouldn't be interpreting it that way was my point.  Not these days when pitchers are told NOT to ramp up too soon.

15 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well they shouldn't be interpreting it that way was my point.  Not these days when pitchers are told NOT to ramp up too soon.

IMO the time to be concerned would be when they are actively trying to ramp it up and it's not there. Context of the velocity change.

No such concerns with Sale at this point in ST.

For those of you like me that can't follow twitter links here is the info:

Alex Speier of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox and Chris Sale are nearing a contract extension.

ESPN's Jeff Passan says the long-term deal will be in the five-year, $150 million range. It continues a recent trend of extensions from around the game and takes another premier impending free agent off of next year's market. Sale, who turns 30 next week, has finished in the top-six in American League Cy Young voting in all seven of his seasons as a starter and has posted a 2.56 ERA and 545/77 K/BB ratio over 372 1/3 innings across the last two seasons for the Red Sox. Because of luxury tax implications, the deal almost surely won't be announced until after Opening Day.

Source: Boston Globe                          Mar 22, 2019, 12:26 PM

And if Alex Speier reports it you can bank on it.  Best and most reliable Red Sox reporter to follow for info imho.

Just now, AnonymousRob said:

Announcers said his velocity was around 92 today, while it was 94-96 last year.

Yeah it was around 94-95 in the 1st inning but lower later on...

But not that concerned Sale’s velocity is usually a little lower in April and picks up later on. His slider was still nasty today but couldn’t rely on his fastball at all and had to throw his Changeup more than he wanted to today 

Keep in mind Mariners didn’t have the automatic pulled into shift out Kyle Seager in the lineup so their lineup is proving to be more formidable.  Sale will be fine, toss out a line see if you can reel him in cheaper from a freaked out owner.

I am a little concerned because of his shoulder issues last season. He claims he was 100% coming into the season and looked good in his two pre season starts. 

I’m not sure if his velocity is by design or not. 

I just saw someone one twitter write that he checked his velocity in past seasons and it’s been up and down. I can’t find it now that I’m looking again. 

3 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

I am a little concerned because of his shoulder issues last season. He claims he was 100% coming into the season and looked good in his two pre season starts. 

I’m not sure if his velocity is by design or not. 

I just saw someone one twitter write that he checked his velocity in past seasons and it’s been up and down. I can’t find it now that I’m looking again. 

I can confirm this by memory. At least until the summer he’s pretty up and down 

• Like 1

He wasn’t throwing to many fastballs tonight either. I saw a lot of offspeed pitches.

i hope he isn’t hurt. I just wish we could see him throw 96+ a few times to know he can still do it. It’s a mystery at this point. Is it by design or is he having arm trouble?

i do agree with what someone posted above. The Red Sox had to do their due diligence before signing him to an extension. Right?

Edited by Under500Forever