NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Sale 2019 Outlook

5 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

2 walks, 1 K

You’re not happy with 6 innings 1ER 3 hits? 

Trending upward. Yo you gotta believe this ain’t football. Baseball season is six looooong months. You have to believe Chris Sale has 30 more starts this season 

Considering his first start was 3 innings 7 ER 

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

You’re not happy with 6 innings 1ER 3 hits? 

Trending upward. Yo you gotta believe this ain’t football. Baseball season is six looooong months. You have to believe Chris Sale has 30 more starts this season 

Considering his first start was 3 innings 7 ER 

"For the first time in his career, Sale threw more than three innings without notching more than one strikeout..."

Just now, Max Rockatansky said:

"For the first time in his career, Sale threw more than three innings without notching more than one strikeout..."

Yea I know that little tidbit info. If the Sale ride is over it won’t break my heart since I been a Yankee fan forever. 

23 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Looks pretty clear that he is just not over exerting himself. I doubt they would have him pitch through injuries. I think he'll be fine but I wonder how long they'll have him on cruise control. 

Sale in 2017

Sale last night

He looks skinnier if that’s possible :) 

2 hours ago, Jay_mac1978 said:

Let be real! Hes not building strength, hes not going easy in these early games!! This is clearly a shoulder issue that goes back to last year....He's not right, dont be fooled!!

What is your evidence to back that?  The Sox gave him a thorough exam before his mega contract only a few weeks ago.  If he still had a shoulder issue it would have come up then or during spring training.

6 hours ago, Baur10 said:

I have zero shares of him so not trying to make this a bench coach question, just curious the range of how people are evaluating the situation. Where does he rank as far as pitchers right now? What's the lowest tier of pitcher you'd trade him for right now?

I think it's pretty clear, even even if you're still very bullish in him this season almost everyone would take the top guys like DeGrom/Cole/Verlander/Bauer etc over him. But how far does he drop down the list for you thougg? Nola/Snell tier? Syndergaard/Carrasco? Corbin/Paxton/Clevinger? Greinke/Strasburg/Kershaw? Flaherty/Taillon/Berrios? Even lower?

Chris Sale at 88.8 mph would be a DND for me. 

You're not getting Ks at that velocity and hitters will adjust and start pounding him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jay_mac1978 said:

Let be real! Hes not building strength, hes not going easy in these early games!! This is clearly a shoulder issue that goes back to last year....He's not right, dont be fooled!!

Let’s be real, the Red Sox didn’t just sign a 5 year 145 million extension with a pitcher suffering a shoulder injury.

Sale is notorious for worse 2nd halfs.  It seems obvious to me that the Red Sox are trying to change that and have him slowly build up and have his best stuff towards the end of season/playoffs.  Still not great for those of us depending on another 250+ strikeout season but better than an injury.

Edited by Musashi

Worth noting that Sale has had dead arm periods where he throws 88 to 91 almost every year in his career and has always bounced back. He also has pitched effectively and not been blown up through those periods, as his command and offspeed stuff will always be good enough to keep him in the top 15-20 as long as he’s healthy. I’ll happily buy him for $.80 on the dollar if anyone is selling in my leagues.

• Like 2

Something is up for sure imo as I can not imagine the Red Sox are intentionally having the guy go out and throw 88-90.  You can reduce wear and tear on a pitcher a lot of ways, including less innings\quicker hooks, more time between starts, skipping a start here and there, the usual pretend injury to get a couple of weeks off, and yes, maybe dialing back the fastball some.  This much of a drop seems to indicate something else is going on though imo.  Whether it is a dead arm that he likely recovers from or something else is anyone's guess.  I am just not buying this is the "master plan" to get him to not fall off in the last month like he is prone to.  If you were drafting now, you would probably be inclined to avoid the guy relative to the price point.

Edited by secretagentman

[Lengthy derail removed. @Chris O'Leary, we've reached out to you in the past about your violation of the RW forums policy on self promotion. We can't have you turning threads into referenda on your theories and methods. You're more than welcome to place a non-clickable link to your work in your signature, but using fantasy outlook threads to promote your blog isn't going to work here. Anyone who wants to continue the dialog with Chris can do so on his blog or Twitter.] 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nightmare130 said:

Back to topic.. Looks like he's being pushed back to the home opener Tuesday, off days make next week a one start week also. 

That is good news for him.  And it made sense all along to have him start the home Opener.  Day off doesn't hurt either. 

And the team will probably do better Sunday in Arizona if the rules allow them to have no one at all on the mound for a change.  Maybe a pitching machine instead?

7 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Good article but Kind of a weird conclusion. Basically ‘All indications are that he is just slowly building up and taking it easy so don’t worry... unless his velocity is down tomorrow night then panic’.  If you believe the “taking it easy” hypothesis (and I kinda do) then who is to say if he takes it easy for 2 starts or 3 or 7?

Edited by merlin401

Just read per RW that Chris Sale was dealing with an illness before his last start

That is nice to know. He looked a little huffy at times.

From here on out, gonna be a beast, GET HIM ON YOUR TEAM NOW FELLAS, and lady

Yeah the original blurb:

Red Sox manager Alex Cora said Tuesday that Chris Sale was dealing with an illness leading into his last start.

Sale displayed career-low fastball velocity in his most recent start last Tuesday against the Athletics, largely relying on secondary pitches to make it through six innings. There's been all sorts of speculation behind the alarming drop, but this would obviously make some sense. Cora added that Sale wasn't able to throw on the side between his first and second starts. However, he was able to this time around. It's encouraging news if you have been patient on Sale, but obviously we'll still be paying plenty of attention to the radar gun when he starts against the Blue Jays in Boston's home opener on Tuesday afternoon.

Source: Alex Speier on Twitter                            Apr 9, 2019, 10:59 AM

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic
4 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

Just read per RW that Chris Sale was dealing with an illness before his last start

That is nice to know. He looked a little huffy at times.

From here on out, gonna be a beast, GET HIM ON YOUR TEAM NOW FELLAS, and lady

Present start excluded.  Ugh.