NBC Sports Edge Forums

DeAndre Hopkins 2019 Outlook

49 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

Yes, I don't really want to double down on Bengals, so I'd stick with Hopkins and hope for a turnaround. 

I think the idea behind that trade is you start Boyd until AJ comes back, and then you start AJ.  Insanity to start both on that offense and with Dalton.  You'd be tanking your season like the Dolphins.

Edited by Brownsfan74
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the most elite WRs in the game has a huge game and people come into this thread like:

huh?

Not really football related but i read Hopkins finds his blind mom in the endzone every touchdown and gives her the ball. She sits with her daughter who gives her the play by play.   http://

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I think the idea behind that trade is you start Boyd until AJ comes back, and then you start AJ.  Insanity to start both on that offense and with Dalton.  You'd be tanking your season like the Dolphins.

I still dont want to start either over Hopkins. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, canilogon said:

He was my number 1 pick fourth overall. I came back with JuJu.That sums up my season on just those two never mind the others 

I believe D’Hop was everyone’s first pick, so we all feel it . Just gotta ride out the bad spell not much else you can do. Trading him with his value at an all time low is a no no 

• Like 2

The good thing is, he was a Stud week 1 (top 5 WR), and has provided WR2 numbers each of the past two weeks.   

He's under performed his ADP, but he hasn't completely hung you out to dry.  When the TDs inevitably come, we are going to forget all about this unfortunate little stretch.  Next couple of weeks should provide plenty of boost to his numbers, so I certainly wouldn't be making any hasty moves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, canilogon said:

He was my number 1 pick fourth overall. I came back with JuJu.That sums up my season on just those two never mind the others 

I took the same 2 to start my draft gross. Thankfully I drafted Godwin and picked up McLaurin and Gallup along the way. Can't trade Nuke can't bench him just have to pray for a big day. 

That td pass he dropped really pissed me off.

• Like 1

He's had a lot of uncharacteristic drops this year. Had an easy one for a TD yesterday he just flat our dropped. He's just too damn good to not blow up soon. However, I am worried about their starting RT going out. I believe he was carted out too, not good for an already bad o-line.

• 2 weeks later...

This guy just can’t break from coverage anymore past 15 yards. In PPR I’m sure he’s fine but it looks like he’s slowly turning into Crabtree toward the end of his career. He has virtually nothing after the catch. He isn’t going to catch a ball and take it to the house for 80 yards either. Definitely not drafting him next year in round 1.

6 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

This guy just can’t break from coverage anymore past 15 yards. In PPR I’m sure he’s fine but it looks like he’s slowly turning into Crabtree toward the end of his career. He has virtually nothing after the catch. He isn’t going to catch a ball and take it to the house for 80 yards either. Definitely not drafting him next year in round 1.

I think Michael Thomas has pretty much cemented his flag into the ground on first WR off the board. 

10 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

He's 27 years old.... He was never a true burner he just hasn't been coming down with the jumps balls like he did last year you'll see some positive regression in that aspect stop crying lol. He's on pace for 120 catches and 1200 yards and he's off to a sluggish start I'm sure he will be better. Imagine owning Odell, Adams injured the entire year so far basically etc. 

Edited by CroNY
2 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I think Michael Thomas has pretty much cemented his flag into the ground on first WR off the board. 

Yeah but I mean me personally I would also rather grab tyreek Julio Thomas Adams before him. All of those guys can still take it to the house on any 1 play.

Hopkins getting a huge target share even with double coverage safety help. I'm not trading him right now for any other WR. He's put up the overall WR9 numbers in half ppr even with a down year and low TD count. I'm not worried at all.

Edited by WaiverLooter
2 minutes ago, CroNY said:

He's 27 years old.... He was never a true burner he just hasn't been coming down with the jumps balls like he did last year you'll see some positive regression in that aspect stop crying lol. He's on pace for 120 catches and 1200 yards and he's off to a sluggish start I'm sure he will be better. Imagine owning Odell, Adams injured the entire year so far basically etc. 

Where did I cry? I just said he’s not a first round pick for me. He wasn’t a burner but he could make contested catches deeper downfield and he could high point the ball above coverage. He isn’t doing that this year.  27 years old isn’t 22. Not everyone plays in the NFL into their 30s. To me I’m seeing signs of regression this year. 

4 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

Yeah but I mean me personally I would also rather grab tyreek Julio Thomas Adams before him. All of those guys can still take it to the house on any 1 play.

if you grabbed Hill or Adams, you would have missed out on significant portions of the season due to injuries. Hill can't catch a break right now. Gets injured when Mahomes was healthy, and then Mahomes gets injured.

Receiver for receiver, Hopkins has not looked too bad production wise compared to anyone and his target share is on the rise with Fuller gone. If we're talking about RBs, obviously, there is a huge gap there.

Edited by WaiverLooter
4 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

if you grabbed Hill or Adams, you would have missed out on significant portions of the season due to injuries. Hill can't catch a break right now. Gets injured when Mahomes was healthy, and then Mahomes gets injured.

Receiver for receiver, Hopkins has not looked too bad production wise. If we're talking about RBs, obviously, there is a huge gap there.

Dude your pointing out things out of our control. I’m obviously talking about these guys healthy in normal scenarios on their perspective teams in the future. Not this week and not last week. Just saying for NEXT year I wouldn’t take Hopkins in the first round and I wouldn’t take him above those players I listed. If you want to then good luck.

Edited by StevenSC400
Just now, StevenSC400 said:

Where did I cry? I just said he’s not a first round pick for me. He wasn’t a burner but he could make contested catches deeper downfield and he could high point the ball above coverage. He isn’t doing that this year.  27 years old isn’t 22. Not everyone plays in the NFL into their 30s. To me I’m seeing signs of regression this year. 

That's the only difference he's not coming down with any of those contested catches in the end zone yet.. I don't see any regression just a weird year thus far for a lot of players. You'll end up with 110-120 catches 1300-1400 yards and 8ish TD's when all is said and done how awful.. I don't even own him just think there is nothing to see here, have Watson so I've watched all of their games. 

6 minutes ago, CroNY said:

That's the only difference he's not coming down with any of those contested catches in the end zone yet.. I don't see any regression just a weird year thus far for a lot of players. You'll end up with 110-120 catches 1300-1400 yards and 8ish TD's when all is said and done how awful.. I don't even own him just think there is nothing to see here, have Watson so I've watched all of their games. 

If you do watch his games he isn’t catching balls in the end zone because he can’t break from coverage and he isn’t high pointing the ball like he has in years past. This year I’m seeing cornerbacks jump above him all year long. Just this past week he was double covered got a ball thrown in the end zone but the corner jumped over him and knocked it out. Again to me I’m seeing regression. Idk how many different ways I have to say it. I’m not saying he’s playing terrible but Again I wouldn’t take him in first round next year or above any of the players I mentioned. 

Edited by StevenSC400
6 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

Dude your pointing out things out of our control. I’m obviously talking about these guys healthy in normal scenarios on their perspective teams in the future. Not this week and not last week. Just saying for NEXT year I wouldn’t take Hopkins in the first round and I wouldn’t take him above those players I listed. If you want to then good luck.

It's very realistic that the 1st WR off the board puts up the 9th best score so far into the season. I don't see any reason to avoid him in the first round next year. I think this is just overreaction based on recent results. Let's see how he does with Fuller out for the next few games. Barkley finished as the RB1 last season and was picked first overall in most drafts. By your logic, he should not be taken highly because he fell short of those lofty expectations this year?

4 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

Ok so do you watch his games then? If you do he isn’t catching balls in the end zone because he can’t break from coverage and he isn’t high pointing the ball like he has in years past. This year I’m seeing cornerbacks jump above him all year long. Just this past week he was double covered got a ball thrown in the end zone but the corner jumped over him and knocked it out. Again to me I’m seeing regression. Idk how many different ways I have to say it. I’m not saying he’s playing terrible but Again I wouldn’t take him in first round next year or above any of the players I mentioned. 

I watch all of his games I know the specific play you're talking about and yes it seemed like last year he would've made that catch blindfolded with the positioning he had.. That being said I'm not willing to make that assestment that he's regressed I think you're more likely to see positive regression over the final 8 games in that regard, agree to disagree. 

Edited by CroNY
5 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

It's very realistic that the 1st WR off the board puts up the 9th best score so far into the season. I don't see any reason to avoid him in the first round next year. I think this is just overreaction based on recent results. Let's see how he does with Fuller out for the next few games. Barkley finished as the RB1 last season and was picked first overall in most drafts. By your logic, he should not be taken highly because he fell short of those lofty expectations this year?

How does that comparison even make sense? Barkley is young. I’m talking early 20s. Not late 20s. This is also his second year and he missed some of it due to injury. He’s still playing good when he’s out there. Hopkins on the other hand has been in the league for YEARS. He’s been top 5 for who knows how long now. Then this year he drops off. That’s a huge red flag to me. I hope I’m wrong and he goes off for the second half of the season but I’m just not seeing it.

Edited by StevenSC400
5 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

How does that comparison even make sense? Barkley is young. I’m talking early 20s. Not late 20s. This is also his second year and he missed some of it due to injury. He’s still playing good when he’s out there. Hopkins on the other hand has been in the league for YEARS. He’s been top 5 for who knows how long now. Then this year he drops off. That’s a huge red flag to me.

He's the 9th WR in half ppr points. How is this a dropoff? When you're top 5, it's reasonable that the standard deviation for expected output puts you into top 10 territory occasionally. The comparison makes sense in that when you draft someone number 1 in their position, their output might not be top 3 (overall or even points per game) or whatever you were expecting. It just happens. 27 is prime for a WR.

Edited by WaiverLooter

It’s crazy to say a WR in his supposed to be prime looks off but there’s something not clicking. Hopkins was never a burner or a freak athlete but he had the best combination of hands and ability to locate the ball i’ve seen in a very long time. His timing was always impeccable and flat out jaw dropping.

Somethings missing and pinpointing why it’s so is impossible. Injury, motivation, or whatever else who knows but this ain’t the Hopkins everyone fell in love with. 

• Like 1