NBC Sports Edge Forums

Davante Adams 2019 Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's skipping boys. Our boy is skipping.   https://twitter.com/matts https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1187107306217115650 chneidman/status/11871073 https://twitter.com/mattschneidma

Posted Images

1 minute ago, MadMaxMariota said:

Wasn't it a very mild injury? He's had plenty of rest since the injury too. Who knows, he might be GTG. 

take the worst toothache you've ever had (we talkin' abscessed tooth here), multiply it x5, then stick all that excruciating pain into yer big toe. 

i've had it, and i may actually be underselling how friggin' painful it was. 

you can't plant. or push. everything shifts to the ball of the affected foot (which led to plantar fasciitis for me).

it's no picnic, i assure you. 

• Like 1
Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

take the worst toothache you've ever had (we talkin' abscessed tooth here), multiply it x5, then stick all that excruciating pain into yer big toe. 

i've had it, and i may actually be underselling how friggin' painful it was. 

you can't plant. or push. everything shifts to the ball of the affected foot (which led to plantar fasciitis for me).

it's no picnic, i assure you. 

5 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

It's turf toe man.

Trust nothing.

giphy.gif

• Haha 7
41 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

IMO-  Theres no way you can wait for a GTD unless he has a full practice on Saturday.  That’s equivalent to a Friday practice for teams playing on Sunday.  Usually bodes well for playing status.    Wouldn’t expect to see him much, if at all, today.   A limited tomorrow and limited Saturday-  bench Adams.   

Yes - for Adams, full practice on Saturday means he is a go, not Friday.

7 minutes ago, dannyz6969 said:

cant they inject his toe with steroids or numbing agent to numb the pain ? its 2020 for goodness sake 

you can't plant or push or exert on a joint ya can't feel 🤷‍♂️

ETA: analogous to trying to drink water when yer mouth is still numb from the dentist. 

it's not necessarily about pain management as it is about speed/balance/agility/confidence. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Like 3
On 9/27/2019 at 9:12 AM, Brownsfan74 said:

Just looking up some history, there is some hope here.

Julio Jones had turf toe in 2016 and he went bonkers with it.  That was the year ATL lost to the Pats in the Superbowl.  That sideline catch that Julio made that should have won the game for them was made with turf toe. 

Terrell Owens, in 2000, suffered a turf toe injury as well.  He tried to play the next game and only had 6 yards, then he missed the next game.  When he returned after, he went for 93/0, 129/1, 283/1.

We'll have to see how bad it is.  Frankly, it looks real bleak after the post game comments, but we don't have anything definitive yet.  There is a wide range of best and worst case here.  If it is minor, he may actually be able to heal up and play in 10 days (likely with some major pain killing injections at game time).  We should expect him to miss practice completely though.  Worst case, of course, is surgery and he's basically done for the year.

Just reposting some research I did when Adams got hurt.

Turf toe has a bad reputation as an injury, but it's not a given that he's going to be ineffective all year.  Other players have had it and been highly productive.

Given that he is apparently on the less serious end of the spectrum, we should expect that within the next few weeks (my guess is he is out for 2-3 weeks) he will be back on the field and productive.  Probably going to suck for him...gonna need painkilling shots on gameday and his Mondays are going to be extremely painful, but these guys get paid millions of dollars to work through the pain.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Slay's questionable, and Adams took him to the shed last year I believe?

The toe thing is troublesome though, I agree.

Slay was back at practice yesterday and is expected to play after having the past 2 weeks off.  He was in pads yesterday and even doing some contact drills.

Yes, last year week 5 Adams did go off for 9/140/1, but that's his best game ever against the Lions by far.  Outside of that game he's been shut down (career avg vs DET including that game is 5/45, and I believe all against Slay).  I'll leave it to you to check the game logs if you care to dig any deeper.  He does have 5 TDs in those 8 games which is a really high rate.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Power-O said:

how the hell do we not have any update by now

The team is probably keeping quiet so that their opponents have to plan for the possibility that Adams suits up.  We should just go by what they do instead of what they say, anyway.  A limited or full practice is a much more reliable indicator of his status.

Edited by Brownsfan74
Just now, JJ1223 said:

Slay was back at practice yesterday and is expected to play after having the past 2 weeks off.  He was in pads yesterday and even doing some contact drills.

Yes, last year week 5 Adams did go off for 9/140/1, but that's his best game ever against the Lions by far.  Outside of that game he's been shut down (career avg vs DET including that game is 5/45, and I believe all against Slay).  I'll leave it to you to check the game logs if you care to dig any deeper.  He does have 5 TDs in those 8 games which is a really high rate.

Gotcha.

Yeah, as I recall Adams value lay primarily as a RZ threat prior to last year in general, I don't think he broke 1k before then but double digit TDs for a couple years.

If Adams were 100%, I'd say that the opportunities should be there against a Lions team that is giving up 23.8 points per game.  But obviously the health is a major question mark at this point.

• Like 1

Which one is he?  The guy with his arms folded facing the camera?  Maybe it's my monitor, but isn't that guy wearing a work-out type top and shorts as well, just like the other guy with his back to the camera?

So...street clothes = no play on Monday?

1 minute ago, CooL said:

Which one is he?  The guy with his arms folded facing the camera?  Maybe it's my monitor, but isn't that guy wearing a work-out type top and shorts as well, just like the other guy with his back to the camera?

So...street clothes = no play on Monday?

the big takeaway is that he's not even stretching - that's more alarming than his cotdamn clothes 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

keep in mind that Thursday is the new Wednesday when playing on Monday, but ....

lookin' bleak

It's been awhile, but don't guys typically at least warm up even if they're just on the side?

Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

the big takeaway is that he's not even stretching - that's more alarming than his cotdamn clothes 

Exactly, because if we are being technical he's not in street clothes lol.. But him not even doing stretching or some light jogging is a bit alarming considering he was doing that last week.