NBC Sports Edge Forums

Julio Jones 2019 Outlook

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With Julio at 30 years old and the age topic being discussed in the thread, here is another set of data to consider (or not, as that's up to each person)... I looked up the top 75 in career receivi

I want to see your data - that's not what I see. I think WRs start declining at age 28, on average. This is based on 1500 "seasons" for receivers since 2000. I collected their data, put ever

Posted Images

Ryan isn't the problem, the offense in general has sucked since Shannahan left, and the D has sucked as well. Entire coaching staff needs to go, they can't run the ball, the o line was supposed to be better, but sucks leaving Ryan no choice but to dump it off quickly or get killed. Buy the guy some time, roll him out of the pocket, it's embarrassing watching this team flounder due to the poor coaching and play calling

3 hours ago, philnutz said:

Ryan isn't the problem, the offense in general has sucked since Shannahan left, and the D has sucked as well. Entire coaching staff needs to go, they can't run the ball, the o line was supposed to be better, but sucks leaving Ryan no choice but to dump it off quickly or get killed. Buy the guy some time, roll him out of the pocket, it's embarrassing watching this team flounder due to the poor coaching and play calling

Ryan is certainly part of the problem. He has been awful this year, even when he has time.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, philnutz said:

Roll him out of the pocket?  The guy looks like hes throwing in quick sand every time he rolls out, it's almost like he loses sight of his receivers whenever he has to move around a little bit.  When's the last time you saw him take a hit and deliver the ball on target? He's basically like Eli Manning of the last 2 years with a slightly stronger arm.  He's not the whole problem but he's certainly part of it.

This is a fantasy forum, not a football one. The Falcons defense being bad is great for Julio and the passing offense of Atlanta. 

As for Ryan, he falls in the same category as Goff. If everything goes perfect, he is a great QB. But if the line can’t hold up then he is garbage. Ryan and Goff are both statue QBs. Once the pocket collapses they can’t do a ton. Neither are productive when under pressure. If you make a list of all the starting QBs, there are only a handful of true pocket QBs who can’t move, and the only really great ones left are Brees and Brady. There is a reason why pretty much every QB now can scramble or move around. OLines just aren’t good and unless you are Brady who can get the ball out extremely fast, you are in trouble.

17 hours ago, philnutz said:

This👆Anybody saying Ryan sucks or is the problem has no clue. 

1 minute ago, FitzMagic said:

I mean he definitely doesn’t suck, but he ain’t great either. Beginning to think their superbowl season was just an outlier. 

5 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

I mean he definitely doesn’t suck, but he ain’t great either. Beginning to think their superbowl season was just an outlier. 

Shanahan was the difference. Play calling is atrocious. It’s hard to watch.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Really? You been watching the games? How many times has Ryan overthrew Julio 5 feet over his head this year? That is not on the play calling.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, jsch08 said:

Really? You been watching the games? How many times has Ryan overthrew Julio 5 feet over his head this year? That is not on the play calling.

Yeah, I’ve seen him every game. It’s the play calling. His touch on the deep ball has never been the greatest. He’s over 70% completion, and he’s been average on his deep throws. Obviously he could be better but that’s not why the Falcons suck on offense. Koetter was run out of Atlanta the first time for a reason. Why they brought him back is beyond me. I’m pretty sure it was last week that Julio dropped a perfect deep ball.  

Once again another perfect game script and he does almost nothing. What is going on? Are teams taking him away or is Ryan just spreading the ball around? Still not too worried, just surprised he wasn’t able to get some garbage time yards.

17 minutes ago, philnutz said:

Koetter still using his Tampa strategy, run for negative yards on 1st down, short pass to make it 3rd and long, then block nobody and take a sack? Did they throw even once on 1st down?

Play Run/Pass
(14:53 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Freeman left tackle to ATL 16 for -1 yards (W.Mercilus; J.Watt). --- 1st & 10 at ATL 17 Run
(11:38 - 1st) M.Ryan pass short right to J.Jones to ATL 48 for 14 yards (J.Joseph). --- 1st & 10 at ATL 34 Pass
(11:02 - 1st) D.Freeman up the middle to 50 for 2 yards (T.Gipson, Z.Cunningham). --- 1st & 10 at ATL 48 Run
(9:54 - 1st) D.Freeman up the middle to HST 14 for 1 yard (Z.Cunningham; B.McKinney). --- 1st & 10 at HOU 15 Run
(4:04 - 1st) D.Freeman left end to ATL 28 for 2 yards (J.Reid; L.Johnson). --- 1st & 10 at ATL 26 Run
(2:34 - 1st) I.Smith right guard to ATL 44 for 3 yards (B.McKinney; B.Scarlett). --- 1st & 10 at ATL 41 Run
(1:24 - 1st) M.Ryan pass deep right to C.Ridley to HST 23 for 22 yards (J.Joseph). --- 1st & 10 at HOU 45 Pass
(0:39 - 1st) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass short right to J.Hardy to HST 18 for 5 yards (J.Joseph). --- 1st & 10 at HOU 23 Pass
(11:59 - 2nd) M.Ryan pass incomplete deep middle to J.Jones. --- 1st & 10 at ATL 15 Pass
(10:43 - 2nd) D.Freeman right tackle to ATL 24 for -2 yards (W.Mercilus). --- 1st & 10 at ATL 26 Run
(3:57 - 2nd) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass short right to J.Jones to ATL 26 for 8 yards (B.McKinney). --- 1st & 10 at ATL 18 Pass
(2:54 - 2nd) M.Ryan pass short right to C.Ridley to ATL 44 for 16 yards (B.McKinney). --- 1st & 10 at ATL 28 Pass
(2:25 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Freeman left guard to ATL 46 for 2 yards (D.Reader, B.Roby). --- 1st & 10 at ATL 44 Run
(1:02 - 2nd) (Shotgun) M.Ryan scrambles up the middle to HST 22 for 4 yards (B.McKinney). PENALTY on ATL-I.Smith, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at HST 26 - No Play. --- 1st & 10 at HOU 26 Run
(0:55 - 2nd) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete deep middle to C.Ridley. --- 1st & 20 at HOU 36 Pass
(0:43 - 2nd) M.Ryan pass incomplete short left to C.Ridley. --- 1st & 10 at HOU 14 Pass
(11:51 - 3rd) D.Freeman up the middle to ATL 25 for no gain (J.Reid; Z.Cunningham). --- 1st & 10 at ATL 25 Run
(7:37 - 3rd) M.Ryan pass short left to A.Hooper to ATL 24 for -1 yards (W.Mercilus). --- 1st & 10 at ATL 25 Pass
(1:58 - 3rd) M.Ryan pass short left to C.Ridley pushed ob at ATL 39 for 14 yards (B.Roby). --- 1st & 10 at ATL 25 Pass
(1:35 - 3rd) M.Ryan pass incomplete short left to A.Hooper [J.Watt]. --- 1st & 10 at ATL 39 Pass
(14:49 - 4th) D.Freeman left guard to HST 13 for 3 yards (D.Reader, J.Reid). --- 1st & 10 at HOU 16 Run
(12:54 - 4th) I.Smith left guard to HST 1 for no gain (B.McKinney; J.Reid). --- 1st & Goal at HOU 1 Run
(6:24 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass short middle to D.Freeman to ATL 34 for 9 yards (J.Addae, B.McKinney). --- 1st & 10 at ATL 25 Pass
(5:55 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan sacked at ATL 41 for -9 yards (J.Watt). --- 1st & 10 at 50 Pass
(4:33 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass short middle to A.Hooper to HST 27 for 11 yards (J.Addae, T.Gipson). --- 1st & 10 at HOU 38 Pass
(4:09 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short right. --- 1st & 10 at HOU 27 Pass
(1:51 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass short left to I.Smith to ATL 34 for 9 yards (J.Addae). --- 1st & 10 at ATL 25 Pass
(1:11 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete deep left to R.Gage [J.Watt]. --- 1st & 10 at ATL 46 Pass
(0:24 - 4th) Tashaun Gipson Sr. 79 Yrd Interception Return K.Fairbairn extra point is No Good, Wide Left, Center-J.Weeks, Holder-B.Anger. Penalty on HST, Offensive Too Many Men on Field, declined. --- 1st & 10 at HOU 35 Pass

Run heavy at the beginning, but the final split was 18 passes and 11 runs on 1st downs.

• Like 1

It’s not an OC problem. wasn’t Koetter great for Ryan and Julio early in their careers? They are throwing a ton right now, but for some reason Julio isn’t being targeted all that much. 

What annoys me is that he seems to come off the field quite a bit. Of all the elite WR’s, Julio seems like one of the few that comes off the field more than a handful of plays. He was on the field less than Sanu and Ridley against Houston. This season he has been on the field right around 75% of the time, when I draft a WR1 I would hope they would be barely come off the field. I think some of it is they are trying to keep in healthy, but you aren’t going to produce your best when you constantly take Julio out of the game.

53 minutes ago, LionKid90 said:

It’s not an OC problem. wasn’t Koetter great for Ryan and Julio early in their careers? They are throwing a ton right now, but for some reason Julio isn’t being targeted all that much. 

What annoys me is that he seems to come off the field quite a bit. Of all the elite WR’s, Julio seems like one of the few that comes off the field more than a handful of plays. He was on the field less than Sanu and Ridley against Houston. This season he has been on the field right around 75% of the time, when I draft a WR1 I would hope they would be barely come off the field. I think some of it is they are trying to keep in healthy, but you aren’t going to produce your best when you constantly take Julio out of the game.

Koetter was run out of Atlanta for a reason the first time. They should have never brought him back. Julio takes himself out of the game, not the coaches. I watch the games and he motions when he wants to out.

Edited by FitzMagic

Other than last season, every year for Julio has been like this one has so far.  He has 2 or 3 down games in a row then explodes for a big one then a few good ones then down again, then another big game. Wash, rinse, repeat.