NBC Sports Edge Forums

Francisco Mejia 2019 Outlook

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^Might as well pair Mejia and Hedges if Mejia+Alfaro was your plan, going with the SD duo guarantees you 600 at bats and 162 games from your catching. 

There's also something to be sadi about the annoycance of checking every night who is starting, in addition to wasting a roster spot for a part time weak hitter. This strategy always sounds nice in th

Isn’t Hedges an elite defender?  Plus he took a step forward with the bat. 

I’ve seen concerns for a while that Mejia ultimately gets moved from behind the plate. I’ve heard 3B and 2B as well as OF. He’s not taking 3B from Myers, but Kinsler isn’t blocking anyone at 2B with Urias shifting to SS. I’d bet 2B is where Mejia ultimately lands barring an incredible step forward in his defense or Hedges falling off a cliff. 

27 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Isn’t Hedges an elite defender?  Plus he took a step forward with the bat. 

I’ve seen concerns for a while that Mejia ultimately gets moved from behind the plate. I’ve heard 3B and 2B as well as OF. He’s not taking 3B from Myers, but Kinsler isn’t blocking anyone at 2B with Urias shifting to SS. I’d bet 2B is where Mejia ultimately lands barring an incredible step forward in his defense or Hedges falling off a cliff. 

Hedges took a step forward last year on offense, he's still a below average league hitter. His defense is good, not elite. 

You could be right on the position change, tough to to predict for me.

Mejia becomes pretty uninteresting in fantasy without c elliigiblilty. 

4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Hedges took a step forward last year on offense, he's still a below average league hitter. His defense is good, not elite. 

You could be right on the position change, tough to to predict for me.

Mejia becomes pretty uninteresting in fantasy without c elliigiblilty. 

Ive heard OF.  as potential as well, kind of take a wait and see approach this year and if both their bats need to be in there could see him in the OF.  The Mejia trade was interesting, it seemed like they took the best available prospect period, and then worry about positions, your need later.  Whats funny is I was wondering if in whatever Kluber offer/discussions there were if the Pads would offer Mejia back to Cleveland in that deal. 

• 5 weeks later...

If this matters to anyone, he had a dreadful time during a short sample in the Dominican Winter League - .246 AVG with 0 HR in 66 PA.

He seems to have dropped on prospect lists across the board but still high up there. For the current year in a redraft, I'm not sure he's worth more than a punt pick.

6 minutes ago, lavaman said:

Worth keeping in dynasty formats? Assuming he's keeping his Catcher eligibility?

This guy was a high prospect last year, I'd hate to just drop him.

Definitely worth keeping, but it depends on your other options available...

No reason to give up yet, but in redraft I wouldn't be looking his way.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 2:51 PM, CrypTviLL said:

Definitely worth keeping, but it depends on your other options available...

No reason to give up yet, but in redraft I wouldn't be looking his way.

Completely agree. I'm just starting to get worried about him being able to keep his catcher eligibility. With the emphasis teams are putting on defense and pitch framing I don't think Mejia will all of a sudden be able to take the leap and be good enough to take over at catcher.  Either he has to learn a new position, which he's been trying to do for awhile now, he gets traded again or he will have to wait until NL adopts the DH.

10 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

Completely agree. I'm just starting to get worried about him being able to keep his catcher eligibility. With the emphasis teams are putting on defense and pitch framing I don't think Mejia will all of a sudden be able to take the leap and be good enough to take over at catcher.  Either he has to learn a new position, which he's been trying to do for awhile now, he gets traded again or he will have to wait until NL adopts the DH.

Yup -- Problem is my Padres are set now in the OF and 1b/3b. There's no other position for him on the team. Just gotta hope he works out that defense behind the plate otherwise it's going to be a very rough year of Mejia (Plate appearances here and there but many substitutions on him).

• Like 1

if you are in a daily league grabbing Hedges and Mejia could post you some pretty great combined numbers.  I assume as of today, Hedges gets 100 starts and Mejia 60

Hedges gives you 15-20 homers, and Mejia brings that average up to the .260 range

Hedges .240 18/60

Mejia .280 10/30

pretty solid C if you can get .260 28/90 imo

16 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

if you are in a daily league grabbing Hedges and Mejia could post you some pretty great combined numbers.  I assume as of today, Hedges gets 100 starts and Mejia 60

Hedges gives you 15-20 homers, and Mejia brings that average up to the .260 range

Hedges .240 18/60

Mejia .280 10/30

Sure if your numbers are right. Your numbers seem super high to me. 

Hedges' career high BA is .231. He's a career .210 Hitter. He has hit 18 HRs at most in his career and in 120 Games, and it 14 in 91. Wouldn't that 14 with a lower BA make much more sense?

And then it's not irrational that Mejia puts that up, but that's a generous projection none the less. Not only does he hit the ground running in his career with elite numbers at his position, but he does it playing sparingly. Hard to see. 

1 hour ago, taobball said:

Hedges' career high BA is .231. He's a career .210 Hitter. He has hit 18 HRs at most in his career and in 120 Games, and it 14 in 91. Wouldn't that 14 with a lower BA make much more sense?

And then it's not irrational that Mejia puts that up, but that's a generous projection none the less. Not only does he hit the ground running in his career with elite numbers at his position, but he does it playing sparingly. Hard to see. 

There's also something to be sadi about the annoycance of checking every night who is starting, in addition to wasting a roster spot for a part time weak hitter. This strategy always sounds nice in theory but almost never works in my experience.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, taobball said:

actually thought Hedges hit 250 last year, I remembered looking in late july/aug and he was over 250

On 2/22/2019 at 5:27 PM, Golden Spikes said:

Hedges .240 18/60

Mejia .280 10/30

Ya but then you'd have to waste two roster spots on C. I'd rather not own a catcher at all than have two mediocre ones clogging up my roster. And theres no way you're getting .260 28/90 out of them.

24 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Ya but then you'd have to waste two roster spots on C. I'd rather not own a catcher at all than have two mediocre ones clogging up my roster. And theres no way you're getting .260 28/90 out of them.

Yeah numbers are way off. Half of those games in PETCO as well. If it's 100 and 60 spilt I think Hedges gets you 12-13 and Mejia might get you 7-8. You are probably looking closer to .250 20/65-70 at best and you also have a valuable bench slot wasted on a 2nd C.

• 4 weeks later...

Neither he nor Hedges will get enough at-bats IMO.  League values defense/framing more at the position than hitting, especially with young staffs.  Best Mejia gets is a 50-50 time share,  and looking at Hedges minor league numbers I think there is more offense in his bat as well and now that he has pressure from losing playing time to a better bat he might become a little more selfish and focus a bit more on his hitting, which has always been a secondary focus of his. 

SD homer here, and with the Padres opening the season with 5 extremely young arms, I think Hedges gets 65%+ of the starts this year, and agree with the previous poster that there is more in his bat than he has shown previously.  Padres FO considers Hedges the best defensive catcher in baseball.  

Mejia’s raw ability is jaw dropping (bat speed and arm strength are elite) but barring injury to Hedges, I think he will disappoint owners projecting him to start this year.  

3 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I'm not drafting Mejia anywhere because of playing time concerns but if Hedges gets hurt, I will be flying to the waiver wire to pick up Mejia everywhere.

He is already gone in any legitimate leagues

1 minute ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I'm not drafting Mejia anywhere because of playing time concerns but if Hedges gets hurt, I will be flying to the waiver wire to pick up Mejia everywhere.

I softly agree, however in ROTO leagues Mejia could be very useful this year.

He will likely get 200-400 ABs (somewhere in that range) of pretty elite catcher production. 

Rostering him and someone like W. Castillo, D. Jansen, or the like could get you up to the 162 games threshold that roto allows. Mejia could be useful there.