NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mike Evans 2019 Outlook

Ffguy0087

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

I laughed but on the inside I cried.  I had Howard last season as well.

I'm very sorry Nagy is inexplicably taking run plays away from DM, it's F'd up.  It ain't my fault. It would appear to me that DM is one of the RBs that Nagy Fs in the A on a regular basis.  If you show me a piece of paper that says the Bears should call more run plays, I'll sign it.  Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it.  But one thing I can tell you is he won't play ball.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'm very sorry Nagy is inexplicably taking run plays away from DM, it's F'd up.  It ain't my fault. It would appear to me that DM is one of the RBs that Nagy Fs in the A on a regular basis.  If you show me a piece of paper that says the Bears should call more run plays, I'll sign it.  Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it.  But one thing I can tell you is he won't play ball.

Not bad.

I have a feeling that a lot of this conversation will be deleted at some point. 

• Like 1

Evans has averaged 58.4 yards against Carolina in his last 5 games (no TDs).

Whether or not you decide to bench him would depend on the strength of your WRs. If you have 3 WR1s then yeah, you bench Evans. But if you're debating between playing Evans and a WR2/WR3, then I personally would roll the dice on Evans' high ceiling.

He does have a low floor relative to a lot of other elite WRs, but his floor really isn't that bad. Aside from week 1 when he was sick, Evans has gone under 40 yards 2 times in his last 23 games played.

All WRs have down games. Even guys like Julio, Davante, and Hopkins have games under 40 yards. Benching Evans just because he had a 0 point game when he's been over 1000 yards for 5 straight years seems to me like a huge recency bias and a mistake.

• Like 7

Just now, NBatum88 said:

Whether or not you decide to bench him would depend on the strength of your WRs. If you have 3 WR1s then yeah, you bench Evans. But if you're debating between playing Evans and a WR2/WR3, then I personally would roll the dice on Evans' high ceiling.

He does have a low floor relative to a lot of other elite WRs, but his floor really isn't that bad. Aside from week 1 when he was sick, Evans has gone under 40 yards 2 times in his last 23 games played.

All WRs have down games. Even guys like Julio, Davante, and Hopkins have games under 40 yards. Benching Evans just because he had a 0 point game when he's been over 1000 yards for 5 straight years seems to me like a huge recency bias and a mistake.

Don't bring these guys no stinking stats

The only numbers they are counting is how many holes they punched in the wall on Sunday.

• Haha 2

I'm leaning towards benching Mike for Fuller, but I am TERRIFIED Mike will have a huge game on my bench lol. We'll see if I really stick with this decision to sit him 😆

Also,

How annoying is it that Jameis is clearly incapable of getting the ball to both of these guys in the same game? It seems like when one guy has a big game the other lays a dud. 

28 minutes ago, JooCraig said:

I'm leaning towards benching Mike for Fuller, but I am TERRIFIED Mike will have a huge game on my bench lol. We'll see if I really stick with this decision to sit him 😆

Also,

How annoying is it that Jameis is clearly incapable of getting the ball to both of these guys in the same game? It seems like when one guy has a big game the other lays a dud. 

I think this is what Arians is telling Jameis... Because Jameis is so inconsistent, he needs to stick to a game plan and get him focused. And given how Evans and Godwin seems to both not have both big games when one blows, I think it has a lot to do with game plan. I think one of the commentators during the Giants game said that Arians loved the mismatch between its corner and planned to feed Evans all game long.

On the flip side, given Godwin blew up on the Panthers last time I think the defense would do something to fix this issue. The main concern is whether Bradbury is still gonna be on Evans' a** and limit his production... gotta hope for the best!

5 hours ago, NBatum88 said:

Mike Evans just missed on a TD against Carolina, FWIW.  That would have made his final line look much better. 

Because Evan's role seems to be the downfield guy with fewer targets, he's going to be more boom/bust than the underneath guy Godwin with the higher targets.  Plus Wintston's deep passing has never been great -- he's historically been below average with the deep ball -- makes Evans more risky if he's consistently the downfield guy.  Also, I thought there were a number of times Evans got open last week, but Godwin got thrown the ball.  Godwin may eventually start getting more of the coverage rolling his way and open the targets back up for Evans.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mustangt125 said:

So who is to say that Bradbury won't cover Godwin this game? He's been the better WR this season.

I feel like rivera knows they have to stop evans but we will see. I expect Evans to have a better game this week as im hoping Arians will put an emphasis on it.

20 minutes ago, Mustangt125 said:

So who is to say that Bradbury won't cover Godwin this game? He's been the better WR this season.

Given the quotes from Arians and Winston this week it sounds like they plan on doing some more creative stuff to get Evans open.

That said, Bradberry's role is a shadow corner.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article235503257.html

Carolina will do everything they can to make sure he's covering Evans.  Godwin has had better stats, but they know Tampa's bread is buttered.

45 minutes ago, Mustangt125 said:

Bradbury has had way more success against Evans. Why mess with that? Put him on godwin, just to watch godwin toast him and Evans toast another corner? Or keep what you know works and focus the rest of your defense on stopping godwin? 

1 hour ago, Ryansm11 said:

Bradbury has had way more success against Evans. Why mess with that? Put him on godwin, just to watch godwin toast him and Evans toast another corner? Or keep what you know works and focus the rest of your defense on stopping godwin? 

Because I can see them targeting the lead WR, which right now, is Godwin. I think they still stick him to Evans like glue, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him covering Godwin.

16 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Because I can see them targeting the lead WR, which right now, is Godwin. I think they still stick him to Evans like glue, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him covering Godwin.

Lead WR and best WR are a huge difference. I understand we play fantasy football and look at the stats. Juju had more yards and catches than AB last season. Are you suggesting they should’ve focused more on Juju? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Lead WR and best WR are a huge difference. I understand we play fantasy football and look at the stats. Juju had more yards and catches than AB last season. Are you suggesting they should’ve focused more on Juju? 

Agree 100%. People seem to confuse fantasy with real life. If Mike Evans weren't around Godwin would probably be looking like 2019 JuJu right now.

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

The only reason I could see them switching it up is because they shadowed Evan's with Bradberry the last game and they lost partially because Godwin had 121 and a score.

But yeah, more than likely not. 

Look, saying Godwin is a better player than Evans at this point is REALLY premature but I damn well will say he is a more complete player than Evans. He can run any route and run it extremely well. While Evans has a solid route tree, he is mainly a huge deep threat. This is why you get those 40+ games and then duds. I doubt they put their best corner on Godwin as they'll probably opt to have him take away the deep ball completely from Evans thus rendering him very limited. Even if they put Bradburry on Godwin he will still get those slants and short routes while Evans will burn some scrub deep.