Tarik Cohen 2019 Outlook

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now here's an idea I can get behind.

Alright, so.......after we all draft Cohen, can we rent some billboards near their practice facility with this message?   

He's no James Harden    

13 hours ago, Corleone said:

Actually, no. Here's Jordan Howard...

In 2018, Howard had 6 games with at least 80 combined rushing/receiving yards (the same amount of 80+ games Cohen had)

In those 6 games, the Bears scored an average of 21.50 PPG.

In the other 10 games, the Bears scored an average of 29.20 PPG.

Alright, so.......after we all draft Cohen, can we rent some billboards near their practice facility with this message?   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, psygolf said:

Were you around to have that opinion-?  

I was young, but I remember the name. He was obviously never as involved as Cohen. Might be a victim of his era, but regardless, it's a pointless comp. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I was young, but I remember the name. He was obviously never as involved as Cohen. Might be a victim of his era, but regardless, it's a pointless comp. 

You remember his name, but can claim there is no similarities between them...interesting.

Looking at Cohen's 2018 stats, I was impressed by his 10.2 yards per reception (YPR). He had a high number of receptions (71) and as I looked through other RB's, the number really stood out.

Sure enough, Cohen had the highest YPR for any RB with at least 50 catches in 2018. The next-highest were Gurley (59 receptions) and Gordon (50 receptions), both at 9.8 YPR.

As I continued to check, achieving at least 10.0 YPR while making at least 50 receptions, is pretty rare for a RB in recent times. Here are all the instances over the past 5 seasons...

--Tarik Cohen: 10.2 YPR (71 receptions) in 2018

--Todd Gurley: 12.3 YPR (64 receptions) in 2017

--Alvin Kamara: 10.2 YPR (81 receptions) in 2017

--David Johnson: 11.0 YPR (80 receptions) in 2016

--Charles Sims: 11.0 YPR (51 receptions) in 2015

--LeVeon Bell: 10.3 YPR (83 receptions) in 2014

The fact that it happens so little, may mean it's not necessarily repeatable for Cohen. But also, it shows how explosive of a player he is. The list of players who have done it over the past 5 seasons are a pretty strong list of RB's...except for Charles Sims (who as of now is the outlier, though he also went just barely over the 50 reception cutoff and hasn't been the same since a knee injury forced him to IR in early 2016).  

Edited by Corleone
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Corleone said:

Looking at Cohen's 2018 stats, I was impressed by his 10.2 yards per reception (YPR). He had a high number of receptions (71) and as I looked through other RB's, the number really stood out.

Sure enough, Cohen had the highest YPR for any RB with at least 50 catches in 2018. The next-highest were Gurley (59 receptions) and Gordon (50 receptions), both at 9.8 YPC.

As I continued to check, achieving at least 10.0 YPR while making at least 50 receptions, is pretty rare for a RB in recent times. Here are all the instances over the past 5 seasons...

--Tarik Cohen: 10.2 YPR (71 receptions) in 2018

--Todd Gurley: 12.3 YPR (64 receptions) in 2017

--Alvin Kamara: 10.2 YPR (81 receptions) in 2017

--David Johnson: 11.0 YPR (80 receptions) in 2016

--Charles Sims: 11.0 YPR (51 receptions) in 2015

--LeVeon Bell: 10.3 YPR (83 receptions) in 2014

The fact that it happens so little, may mean it's not necessarily repeatable for Cohen. But also, it shows how explosive of a player he is. The list of players who have done it over the past 5 seasons are a pretty strong list of RB's...except for Charles Sims (who as of now is the outlier, though he also went just barely over the 50 reception cutoff and hasn't been the same since a knee injury forced him to IR in early 2016).  

Can we evaluate yards after contact & negative plays? 

2 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Amazing you are even responding to that nonsense. 

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, psygolf said:

That's ok...I've been around long enough to know if the #s supported an argument, that we'd have seen them by now.

Just like you have been around long enough to know that the high Chicago PPG numbers when Cohen did well, would have a high association for any Bears player that did well...EXCEPT that you were proven wrong within minutes, when the numbers for Howard (you know, the guy who plays the same position as Cohen) were shown. And you know, were the exact opposite of what you stated. 

If the numbers disproved an argument (and what exactly you're trying to disprove, nobody knows), we'd have seen them by now...since you're the person who asked for the numbers to begin with. So if you have something to say, do the research and present your statistical findings.

If not, then shoo. 

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Just like you have been around long enough to know that the high Chicago PPG numbers when Cohen did well, would have a high association for any Bears player that did well...EXCEPT that you were proven wrong within minutes, when the numbers for Howard (you know, the guy who plays the same position as Cohen) were shown. And you know, were the exact opposite of what you stated. 

If the numbers disproved an argument (and what exactly you're trying to disprove, nobody knows), we'd have seen them by now...since you're the person who asked for the numbers to begin with. So if you have something to say, do the research and present your statistical findings.

If not, then shoo. 

I assumed that a Howard-heavy game = a lower-scoring, ball-control game.   Wouldn't anyone?

28 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Just like you have been around long enough to know that the high Chicago PPG numbers when Cohen did well, would have a high association for any Bears player that did well...EXCEPT that you were proven wrong within minutes, when the numbers for Howard (you know, the guy who plays the same position as Cohen) were shown. 

I said "another Bear"...not "every Bear"

Now if the numbers show a direct correlation for points scored that is exclusive to Cohen's best games that "no other" bear can claim, then the coaches do have answer for their incompetence.

1 minute ago, psygolf said:

I assumed that a Howard-heavy game = a lower-scoring, ball-control game.   Wouldn't anyone?

A Howard-heavy game did equal a lower-scoring Bears offense.

While a Cohen-heavy game was the opposite of that (meaning it equaled a higher-scoring offense...that's a good thing for a team). 

But what's interesting is that you have already changed your interpretation from yesterday to today.

Because yesterday, you said (and I quote) "I'm pretty sure if you picked the best games of another player on the bears offense that you'd see the same point spread."

So I'm pretty sure you were wrong. It's okay, you can admit to it. It's obvious to everyone here. 

3 minutes ago, psygolf said:

I said "another Bear"...not "every Bear"

Now if the numbers show a direct correlation for points scored that is exclusive to Cohen's best games that "no other" bear can claim, then the coaches do have answer for their incompetence.

Howard is "another Bear". Howard is not "every Bear". 

Just now, psygolf said:

Cherry picker

You said "I'm pretty sure if you picked the best games of another player on the bears offense that you'd see the same point spread."

I picked the one other RB on the Bears that gets the majority of playing time. 

That's as close a comparison as one could possibly ask for.

So no, it's not cherry-picking. You just don't like the results (because you know, you were wrong).

If you want to know after the fact, how other Bears players did, by all means, get cracking and show the numbers. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Corleone said:

A Howard-heavy game did equal a lower-scoring Bears offense.

While a Cohen-heavy game was the opposite of that (meaning it equaled a higher-scoring offense...that's a good thing for a team). 

But what's interesting is that you have already changed your interpretation from yesterday to today.

Because yesterday, you said (and I quote) "I'm pretty sure if you picked the best games of another player on the bears offense that you'd see the same point spread."

So I'm pretty sure you were wrong. It's okay, you can admit to it. It's obvious to everyone here. 

You're the one that propped Cohen up against some of the best rbs in the game by using one measly stat...yards per catch.   Without acknowledging that he runs different routes than most rbs.  I am a Bear fan, but I cannot pretend that he is or will be more than what his complete metrics have shown.   

Just now, psygolf said:

You're the one that propped Cohen up against some of the best rbs in the game by using one measly stat...yards per catch.   Without acknowledging that he runs different routes than most rbs.  I am a Bear fan, but I cannot pretend that he is or will be more than what his complete metrics have shown.   

You truly have a reading comprehension problem. First off, the yards per catch stat was a day AFTER the PPG stat that you literally were just talking about.

Secondly, for the yards per catch part, never did I say that Cohen was equal to or better than the other RB's.

You do realize that a player can be shown in a stat listing next to other players, without that meaning said player as a whole is equal to or better than the other players?

Listen, for whatever reason, it's clear you have an issue with me. You go into pretty much every thread I post in, and come up with ridiculous comments, no actual stats, and basically ruin the thread for everyone else. Nobody else needs to see player threads ruined by your inconceivable need to troll on everything I post. So shoo. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Corleone said:

You truly have a reading comprehension problem. First off, the yards per catch stat was a day AFTER the PPG stat that you literally were just talking about.

Secondly, for the yards per catch part, never did I say that Cohen was equal to or better than the other RB's.

You do realize that a player can be shown in a stat listing next to other players, without that meaning said player as a whole is equal to or better than the other players?

Listen, for whatever reason, it's clear you have an issue with me. You go into pretty much every thread I post in, and come up with ridiculous comments, no actual stats, and basically ruin the thread for everyone else. Nobody else needs to see player threads ruined by your inconceivable need to troll on everything I post. So shoo. 

ironically he's basically a really sh*tty version of joshua 

3 minutes ago, Corleone said:

My only issue is that you only see/post positive #s for the players that are "your boys" and ignore some of the truth in the numbers.   

Your posting is passively trying to insinuate that level of Cohen's performance was the machine behind the points scored by the bears this past season...which is misleading. 

6 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

ironically he's basically a really sh*tty version of joshua 

You may not want to admit it, but Joshua is a valuable ff resource here...he just really enjoys it when he's right.   

Anyone can post yesterday's numbers...Corleone is no FFC

5 minutes ago, psygolf said:

My only issue is that you only see/post positive #s for the players that are "your boys" and ignore some of the truth in the numbers.   

Your posting is passively trying to insinuate that level of Cohen's performance was the machine behind the points scored by the bears this past season...which is misleading. 

You have invented quite the conspiracy theory in your head. But if you have an issue with mine or anyone's analysis or numbers, here is a friendly suggestion...do the research yourself and show concrete reasons why you disagree. As opposed to spouting off baseless opinions without any merit behind them. 

• Like 1