NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tarik Cohen 2019 Outlook

My biggest concern is the development of Trubisky to manipulate the defense with his eyes. Stares down his receivers and it rarely seems to me that the games I watched he audibles into advantageous mismatches pre-snap. Of course that's just my opinion but I haven't heard much praise about his cerebral part of the game. Relies on his athletic ability to get him out of bad situations . Hit or miss results with that approach so far. Made some big plays but threw a lot of questionable balls killing drives. Giving him the benefit of the doubt because he hasn't gotten the game experience even in college so he is still learning on the fly. 2nd offense in two years so as he gets more comfortable I'd expect the game to slow down for him now that he's seen a lot more looks from the defenses and watched his mistakes in film sessions. 

How does that relate to Cohen ? Nagy can open up the playbook once he has more trust. Cohen can be utilized in more ways  a la Tyreek who also spends time dancing around behind the line on his runs looking for the home run. Cohen proved to be a capable runner but his value is in creating mismatches in space. Also I wonder if the Bears defense falls back a notch or two with the departure of Fangio. Might have to rely on the offense to put up more points.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now here's an idea I can get behind.

Alright, so.......after we all draft Cohen, can we rent some billboards near their practice facility with this message?   

He's no James Harden    

1 hour ago, howlin' 2 said:

My biggest concern is the development of Trubisky to manipulate the defense with his eyes. Stares down his receivers and it rarely seems to me that the games I watched he audibles into advantageous mismatches pre-snap. Of course that's just my opinion but I haven't heard much praise about his cerebral part of the game. Relies on his athletic ability to get him out of bad situations . Hit or miss results with that approach so far. Made some big plays but threw a lot of questionable balls killing drives. Giving him the benefit of the doubt because he hasn't gotten the game experience even in college so he is still learning on the fly. 2nd offense in two years so as he gets more comfortable I'd expect the game to slow down for him now that he's seen a lot more looks from the defenses and watched his mistakes in film sessions. 

How does that relate to Cohen ? Nagy can open up the playbook once he has more trust. Cohen can be utilized in more ways  a la Tyreek who also spends time dancing around behind the line on his runs looking for the home run. Cohen proved to be a capable runner but his value is in creating mismatches in space. Also I wonder if the Bears defense falls back a notch or two with the departure of Fangio. Might have to rely on the offense to put up more points.

22 carries for 151 yards and 1 TD for Tyreek rushing!

More trust in cohen? Hes the best playmaker on this team and i think this is Nagy being too Nagy and outsmarting himself. "well they will expect me to give it to cohen so........ Ill give it to mizzell!!!! or fake to Mack and hand off to Gabriel!!!

Nagy is just dumb, hes trying to be too creative

ANNNND he thinks Trubisky is Mahomes

Edited by bhawks489
3 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

More trust in cohen? Hes the best playmaker on this team and i think this is Nagy being too Nagy and outsmarting himself. "well they will expect me to give it to cohen so........ Ill give it to mizzell!!!! or fake to Mack and hand off to Gabriel!!!

Nagy is just young, he's trying to be too creative.

fixed

• Like 1
8 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Nagy is just dumb, hes trying to be too creative

ANNNND he thinks Trubisky is Mahomes

Wasn't comparing totals, referring to style. Spreading out the formation is trusting Trubisky to read blitzes & coverage which he's still learning . Maybe he just never will.

agree that Nagy is like the current wave of coaches trying too hard to be a genius and be confounding to the other team . Usually just end up out smarting themselves. Guess they want it to be more about them.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, howlin' 2 said:

Wasn't comparing totals, referring to style. Spreading out the formation is trusting Trubisky to read blitzes & coverage which he's still learning . Maybe he just never will.

agree that Nagy is like the current wave of coaches trying too hard to be a genius and be confounding to the other team . Usually just end up out smarting themselves. Guess they want it to be more about them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling a play the defense expects and proving to them that they CAN'T STOP IT. . . . psychologically it screws with them.

• 2 months later...

I'm a huge fan, but I was surprised Cohen was going as high as he was (as of the last time I checked).  I can't imagine this news doesn't give him a bump, but I think everyone agrees his touch count will be limited somehow.   It hopefully increases a bit.   I was hoping to get him as a low end RB2, now that's about out the window.  

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Awful quiet in here esp w Iowa state kid on board

There isn’t much to talk about. His value remains at best the same as last year. I think that’s best case scenario since the Bears actually traded up to get another RB. 

4 minutes ago, GreatScott! said:

There isn’t much to talk about. His value remains at best the same as last year. I think that’s best case scenario since the Bears actually traded up to get another RB. 

IMO Cohens stats will not be as good as last years. They added Mike Davis to replace Howard and drafted another RB that Nagy said has some comparisons to Hunt. Big draft day loser here.

4 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Awful quiet in here esp w Iowa state kid on board

If you can accurately  tell us what Nagy plans to do this season you will win your league.

I expect Cohen to have a similar unpredictable week to week use  and is basically a flex in ppr.  So much in play this year, the team has alot of talented pieces on offense but I have no clue as to how the coach will put it all together this season

6 minutes ago, dashoe said:

If you can accurately  tell us what Nagy plans to do this season you will win your league.

I expect Cohen to have a similar unpredictable week to week use  and is basically a flex in ppr.  So much in play this year, the team has alot of talented pieces on offense but I have no clue as to how the coach will put it all together this season

He was the #11 RB in PPR last year. 

2 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

He was the #11 RB in PPR last year. 

yeah and he was in my flex because his weekly utilization was a dart throw. You never knew how Nagy was going to use him week to week and in fantasy playoffs he was a disaster if you had to count on him

30 minutes ago, dashoe said:

yeah and he was in my flex because his weekly utilization was a dart throw. You never knew how Nagy was going to use him week to week and in fantasy playoffs he was a disaster if you had to count on him

Below are his pts per game (ppr) aside from the clunker at week 16 and a few others what is there to complain about? Do you expect your RB2s to never have a bad game?

Week    FP
1    7.1
2    3.5
3    9.8
4    30.4
5    BYE
6    24.1
7    22.3
8    18
9    2.3
10    16.4
11    7
12    18.9
13    34.65
14    12.9
15    15.5
16    2.9
17    11.2
5 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:
Below are his pts per game (ppr) aside from the clunker at week 16 and a few others what is there to complain about? Do you expect your RB2s to never have a bad game?

Week    FP
1    7.1
2    3.5
3    9.8
4    30.4
5    BYE
6    24.1
7    22.3
8    18
9    2.3
10    16.4
11    7
12    18.9
13    34.65
14    12.9
15    15.5
16    2.9
17    11.2

I'll explain to you from a different perspective; you are focusing on fantasy POINTS. I focus on TOUCHES.

Now if you go look at his week to week touches you will see it would be a wide distribution of 5 -22 and very unpredictable. Fantasy playoffs his touches were 10-7-7 which is terrible if he was your rb1/rb2 because you were probably looking for 12-15 touches from him.

I draft based on how many TOUCHES he will get and how he will be UTILIZED in an offense.  For example Kamara gets 15-20 in the saints offense and that is very reliable and predictable but barring injury or something rare on the coaching side i dont think he has had a game with less than 12 touches

Cohen was and still is a rb flex for me, I can care less about how his total season rank finished or his points.  What I care about is how many touches he will get in the bears offense week to week given he is an explosive player with the ball in his hands; if the range is  a random 5-22 then you cant trust him to be anything more than a flex.

12 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I'll explain to you from a different perspective; you are focusing on fantasy POINTS. I focus on TOUCHES.

Now if you go look at his week to week touches you will see it would be a wide distribution of 5 -22 and very unpredictable. Fantasy playoffs his touches were 10-7-7 which is terrible if he was your rb1/rb2 because you were probably looking for 12-15 touches from him.

I draft based on how many TOUCHES he will get and how he will be UTILIZED in an offense.  For example Kamara gets 15-20 in the saints offense and that is very reliable and predictable but barring injury or something rare on the coaching side i dont think he has had a game with less than 12 touches

Cohen was and still is a rb flex for me, I can care less about how his total season rank finished or his points.  What I care about is how many touches he will get in the bears offense week to week given he is an explosive player with the ball in his hands; if the range is  a random 5-22 then you cant trust him to be anything more than a flex.

agree to disagree.

52 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Your premise is flawed. Cohen can absolutely be an RB2 with 8-10 touches. That's because all touches are not created equal. 8-10 for Cohen is a lot different than 8-10 for Frank Gore. If you tell me Cohen will get 4-5 carries and 4-5 receptions in any given week, I'm happy starting him in my RB2 spot in PPR.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ajs723 said:

Your premise is flawed. Cohen can absolutely be an RB2 with 8-10 touches. That's because all touches are not created equal. 8-10 for Cohen is a lot different than 8-10 for Frank Gore. If you tell me Cohen will get 4-5 carries and 4-5 receptions in any given week, I'm happy starting him in my RB2 spot in PPR.  

Good for you. . .🤣

It's not a premise, it's a process I use to draft my teams,  less than 10 touches as an rb makes you a flex on my team which he was and performed admirably  👀

and i'm glad you made that last comment about if you are told cohen gets 8-10 touches in any given week. . . because the rub is you dont know if he will get 8-10 consistently because he hasnt; his range is 5-22 and is unpredictable.  So you basically supported the point I made regarding the inability to predict his week to week touches. 🤓

6 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Good for you. . .🤣

It's not a premise, it's a process I use to draft my teams,  less than 10 touches as an rb makes you a flex on my team which he was and performed admirably  👀

and i'm glad you made that last comment about if you are told cohen gets 8-10 touches in any given week. . . because the rub is you dont know if he will get 8-10 consistently because he hasnt; his range is 5-22 and is unpredictable.  So you basically supported the point I made regarding the inability to predict his week to week touches. 🤓

Flex on  your team but finished as an RB1 in 12 team PPR

• Like 1