NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jameis Winston 2019 Outlook

20 minutes ago, CooL said:

Who the F is Superbaby?  Ronald freaking Jones?!?  What a ludicrous nickname.  The guy doesn't look super, only serviceable.  And he looks nothing like a baby.

Let's get the discussion back to Jameis "Eat a W" Winston.  I picked this guy up because his owner dropped and got frustrated with him, and I see him as a high end top 10 guy for the ROS.  Certainly not reliable enough to go and trade away my starter before the trade deadline, but some good insurance for the rest of the year.

There's a story behind the nickname, "SuperBaby".   It's in the Jones Forum.   In any event, you don't need to worry yourself with it as it's been shelved for now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Perhaps you’re not aware of his touchdowns.

This is how I prepare to watch Jameis play.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, K197040 said:

There's a story behind the nickname, "SuperBaby".   It's in the Jones Forum.   In any event, you don't need to worry yourself with it as it's been shelved for now.

Image result for popcorn gif"

I gotta see this for myself!

(heads over to Jones thread)

"He's like a superbaby.  From the standpoint that he's been in the womb and just increasing his superpowers.  And he's been difficult to deliver.  Complications.  But now, Arians was finally able to pull the whole superbaby body out.  And now he's unleashed for the whole world to see.

Anyone else get that vibe?"

Image result for incredulous gif"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

Image result for popcorn gif"

I gotta see this for myself!

(heads over to Jones thread)

"He's like a superbaby.  From the standpoint that he's been in the womb and just increasing his superpowers.  And he's been difficult to deliver.  Complications.  But now, Arians was finally able to pull the whole superbaby body out.  And now he's unleashed for the whole world to see.

Anyone else get that vibe?"

Image result for incredulous gif"

Hmmm...I'm having second thoughts about shelving it after all.  I forgot how well it fit him.

4 minutes ago, CooL said:

I like that.  It's that "reverse psychology" thing where if you say it, you think it won't really happen.  But deep down, you know it's going to happen.  Playing this guy over Patrick Mahomes!

Mahomes has a bum knee. Jameis has a bum brain. That's a toughy….

Are you excited about Jameis' playoff schedule?

He has Week 14 vs. Indy, Week 15 @ Detroit, and Week 16 vs. Texans.

Compare that to Carson Wentz who has Week 14 vs. Giants, Week 15 @ Redskins, and Week 16 vs. Dallas.

I hate to say it but every now and then I'm terrified of Jameis having that terrible game. Could see it Week 14 vs. a smart Indy team in fantasy playoffs.

On 11/7/2019 at 1:04 PM, CooL said:

Who the F is Superbaby?  Ronald freaking Jones?!?  What a ludicrous nickname.  The guy doesn't look super, only serviceable.  And he looks nothing like a baby.

Let's get the discussion back to Jameis "Eat a W" Winston.  I picked this guy up because his owner dropped and got frustrated with him, and I see him as a high end top 10 guy for the ROS.  Certainly not reliable enough to go and trade away my starter before the trade deadline, but some good insurance for the rest of the year.

Yes I prefer something like Serviceable Trash as a nick name for Ronald Jones.

• Haha 2

How many first drive INTs has Winston thrown this year? Serious question - would be interested in the stat. I know there was the Cardinals and Panthers (in London). Almost certain there was at least one more but can’t recall specifics.

I need to re-adjust my Winston projections starting from -2. It really is incredible.

19 minutes ago, gufomel said:

Lol. Really?

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f290f1d0915d1e1e39195

I mean if the bucs win despite the turnovers Winston is producing more good plays than bad. The man had almost 400 yards of offense and he's running more now... not saying hell ever change but what other choices are out there? I can see a bortles 3 year deal with one year opt out 

40 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I mean if the bucs win despite the turnovers Winston is producing more good plays than bad. The man had almost 400 yards of offense and he's running more now... not saying hell ever change but what other choices are out there? I can see a bortles 3 year deal with one year opt out 

How does he practice and game plan all week and then go out and throw a pick on the first play seemingly every game? There’s no way he’s a top 20 NFL QB. With that said, I don’t mind them giving him a small contract if there’s not a QB in the draft they like and think they can get, and the only other QBs available are free agent fodder. The problem is, I’m assuming that if they sign him to a new contract it’s going to be a fairly big contract. I doubt he’s going to re-sign for QB25 money. It’s going to be something like QB10 money I would assume, and I just don’t know how you lock yourself into someone like Winston for that.

Edited by gufomel
28 minutes ago, gufomel said:

How does he practice and game plan all week and then go out and throw a pick on the first play seemingly every game? There’s no way he’s a top 20 NFL QB. With that said, I don’t mind them giving him a small contract if there’s not a QB in the draft they like and think they can get, and the only other QBs available are free agent fodder. The problem is, I’m assuming that if they sign him to a new contract it’s going to be a fairly big contract. I doubt he’s going to re-sign for QB25 money. It’s going to be something like QB10 money I would assume, and I just don’t know how you lock yourself into someone like Winston for that.

Lmao. He's easily a Top 20 QB. Go look at the guys who have starting gigs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am I the only one who didn’t think he played that bad? Sure he threw an early pick but other than that he played pretty well. Anyone who watched the game saw how bad the offensive line was but Jameis was still able to go for over 350. Is he turnover prone? Yes. But I’m willing to take the 2 INT’s if it means he will consistently go over 300 yards with potential for multiple TD’s. In a pass-first offense with arguably the best WR duo in the league and one of the easiest ROS schedules, I have no problem riding with Jameis as my QB1. 

• Like 4

Winston isn't that bad.  He has loads of talent, and is only now getting real coaching.  He had Dirk Koetter to start his career, and Koetter sucks.  Just look at Matt Ryan this year.

I don't think it's a bad idea for the Bucs to sign Winston to a (sensible) multi-year deal.  He's still just 25.  If they can get him for $20m/year or less and he turns a corner, they've got a great bargain to work with.  If he busts, so what? 

Brady, Watson, Roethlisberger, Mahomes, Rivers, Wilson, Rogers, Stafford, Brees, and Ryan are the only QBs worth Big salaries.

Garapollo, Wentz, Carr, Foles, Brissett, Cousins, Dak, Cam, and I'll throw Goff and Tannehill in there are maybes, but either are or will be expensive to find out.

Jackson looks like he will be.  Jury still out on Mayfield, Allen, Darnold.  Murray, Jones, and Haskins are rookies.  Their deals won't come up for a couple more years.

Dolphins, Bengals, Broncos, and Bears don't have QBs.

That's 10 that are various levels of good bets, 10 that are higher variance but still very expensive bets, 7 that are cheap bets with a couple years to evaluate, and 4 teams have nothing.

Those 4 teams will probably be looking for QBs, either through the draft or free agency.  Depending on what the teams decide about Tannehill and Brissett, the Titans and Colts could join them.  Brees and/or Brady, maybe Rivers too, might retire.

So the Dolphins, Bengals, and Titans will be eyeing QBs.  The Bears should be, and the Broncos should get an idea about how comfortable they feel going into 2020 with Lock.  The Colts, Saints, Patriots, Chargers, and maybe Panthers could join them.

The available QBs will be... Cam, Bridgewater, Mariotta, Tannehill, Flacco, Keenum(?), Fitzmagic(?).  The rookie QBs of note are Burrow (LSU), Herbert (Oregon), Tua (Alabama), and Fromm (UGA).

So Tampa will be looking at that list as alternatives to Winston.  Do you see better options there?  I don't.  If TB had a good defense, someone like Bridgewater could make sense - but someone like that doesn't fit Arians style.  Flacco has the arm for Arians... but he is old and not good.  If Cam is cut (since probably be expensive to trade for him within the division), he'd be an option - but is Cam any less of a gamble at this point than Winston (who is far closer to the Roethlisberger/Palmer type that Arians has been good with than Cam anyway)?

If Tampa gets a high enough pick to go with the QB they want in the 1st round, it would still be wise to try retaining Winston - as either a bridge QB or tradable asset, not to mention the possibility that Winston succeeds, in which case the 1st round QB is tradable. 

The Bucs are 3-6.  He was terrible vs SF (17-31, 1/3 td/to) and Carolina in London (26-37, 1/6 td/to).  They lost 31-32 vs NYG, 24-31 vs NO, 23-27 vs TEN, and 34-40 vs SEA in OT.  That's an average of 28-32.5 in those 4 games.  In those games, Winston passed for 1220 yards with a 9/6 td/to ratio.  In 3 out of 4 games, Tampa had a lead in the 4th quarter.  They could easily have a couple more wins right now

In their 3 wins, Winston was a solid enough "game manager" vs CAR, put up huge numbers in a 55-40 victory at LAR, and led a game winning drive in the 4th quarter to get by the Cardinals. 

Winston turns the ball over too much.  So did Favre.  Tampa also can't stop anyone, and that's not on Winston.  He seems to be getting better in the last 3 games (2 losses) since the fiasco in London.  But London is weird and, despite 6 turnovers, he got them to 26 points (silver linings).

On US soil, Winston has thrown for 2365 yards (and run for another 206) with 16 tds and 11 turnovers this season. Not all pro, but passable. 

Arians' statement seems laughable at first glance, but when you think about it and look at the other options... Arians is right.

• Like 7

Let’s be real if your reading this thread you probs have Winston which means you don’t have one of the sexy top 8-11 ish qbs in the league. At this point I think Were gonna ride or die with famous Jameis. He’s not matchup proof what so ever but neither are the other qbs in his range (Goff,rivers,tannehill,Murray) 

On paper his matchups are all favorable going forward; his defense ensures he’s gonna have to air it out.  Let’s do Winston. I’m cool with a steady 17-21 pts from my qb.

• Like 4
48 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Winston turns the ball over too much.  So did Favre.

I don't really know if that's a fair comparison.

Favre threw 33 TDs when he was 25, and the following three years he threw 38, 39 and 35 and won three consecutive MVPs.

Jameis's career high was 28 a few years ago.  He is on pace for 30 this year, which is great, but he's already matched Favre's INT total from that year.

Kind of the point which is, you take the good with the bad.  You knew that Favre was gonna make some dumb throws, but he'd also score a bunch and make up for it.  Jameis is more like you know he's gonna make some dumb throws, but he'll also throw for a lot of yards...not quite the same thing.

Catches a pretty huge break this week too, as it appears certain that Saints top cover CB Lattimore is extremely doubtful (the guy basically has erased Evans in most of their match-ups)...Saints should be able to get back on track thru the air v Tampa, so sets up as a pretty sweet fantasy points bonanza for the both offenses.

• Like 1