NBC Sports Edge Forums

JuJu Smith-Schuster 2019 Outlook

13 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

You’ll regret this my friend, everyone said his ADP was to high last year too. The kid is a baller. Draft him as a top 5 WR with confidence. 

I didn’t think it was thatttt high, as I drafted him in 3 of my 4 leagues.

But improving on a 111-1,400-7 season isn’t as easy as you think.

In my mind, JuJu’s a lock for 100-1,200-7. 

But whether he’ll take a 125-1,500-12 leap? That’s a different story. 

Just saying I’m curious to see how PIT looks as Brown had been such an important part of that offense for so many years.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Then take your casual racism back to the baseball forum.

Yeah, and it rhymes with duck. 

Not this again with the eating.  Got a long break from this type of verbiage in the baseball forum.  I almost forgot that people talk like this.  I suppose that football just attracts a different cali

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

I didn’t think it was thatttt high, as I drafted him in 3 of my 4 leagues.

But improving on a 111-1,400-7 season isn’t as easy as you think.

In my mind, JuJu’s a lock for 100-1,200-7. 

But whether he’ll take a 125-1,500-12 leap? That’s a different story. 

Just saying I’m curious to see how PIT looks as Brown had been such an important part of that offense for so many years.

It was right around 40th overall. Which everyone said was way to high for a WR2 sharing targets with AB and he would be a bust. Fantasypros especially hated him. Pittsburgh’s offense hasn’t revolves around AB. It’s revolves around Big Ben and will continue to do so. Plaxico burres, Hines ward, santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, and now Juju. They all have the same thing in common, #7. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Rickydragon said:

I’m not seeing it.  He’s gonna face the shut down corner and double coverage now.  And this team doesn’t have the weapons to air it out like they used to.  

Watch what he did to Ramsey and bouye last year. He’s ready. 

• Like 1

My problem with JuJu is if the risk is worth the return.

I really don't see how he has a higher ceiling than multiple guys going behind him such as Evans, Hilton, Brown, Allen, and Cooper. While I would say he is a lot safer than Brown and Cooper I don't really see him to be a safer pick than Allen and damn sure not safer than Evans or Hilton. So you are taking more risk.

That being said, I do think JuJu has a higher likely outcome than everyone I mentioned but again, he carries more risk. Quite a lot of risk for going mid 2nd and playing WR. I doubt i'll own him as I rather have Evans over him and MAYBE Hilton. However, I do see the intrigue as JuJu can have a massive season and he is extremely intriguing. 

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

I really don't see how he has a higher ceiling than multiple guys going behind him such as Evans, Hilton, Brown, Allen, and Cooper. While I would say he is a lot safer than Brown and Cooper I don't really see him to be a safer pick than Allen and damn sure not safer than Evans or Hilton. So you are taking more risk. 

Hiltons ceiling to me isnt that high because he is a 6 or 7 td guy. Same for keenan allen. They might get 8 tds but they're alot less likely to get double digit TDs than juju imo. They are both probably safer picks but not by much.

AB has been the best wr in football for the last 5 or 6 years but he also had a pretty awesome qb throwing him the ball 180 times. Hes got a lesser qb now but I guess his ceiling is still high but I'd say jujus is just as high and ABs floor could be something scary low. Remember when randy moss went to oakland. (I kno that's not a fair comp just saying even the best wrs can drop off to irrelevancy)

Evan's is for sure safer but I dont think he'll ever enter the top tier of wrs which juju could. He could legitimately put up Pittsburg AB numbers which are better than anything Evan's has ever put up.

Cooper is the wild card to me becuase he was apparently a top 5 Wr during the 9 week span he was in dallas. But I just cant trust dak to produce an elite guy like that. Even if the defense sells out to stop zeke I believe dak is just bad enough to keep amari at wr 10-15 status.

Just my beliefs but I think the risk is definitely worth the return

Edited by Stonej14

That being said, I do think JuJu has a higher likely outcome than everyone I mentioned but again, he carries more risk. Quite a lot of risk for going mid 2nd and playing WR. I doubt i'll own him as I rather have Evans over him and MAYBE Hilton. However, I do see the intrigue as JuJu can have a massive season and he is extremely intriguing. 

The reward is WR1. Hes going to take over. 

9 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Hiltons ceiling to me isnt that high because he is a 6 or 7 td guy. Same for keenan allen. They might get 8 tds but they're alot less likely to get double digit TDs than juju imo. They are both probably safer picks but not by much.

AB has been the best wr in football for the last 5 or 6 years but he also had a pretty awesome qb throwing him the ball 180 times. Hes got a lesser qb now but I guess his ceiling is still high but I'd say jujus is just as high and ABs floor could be something scary low. Remember when randy moss went to oakland. (I kno that's not a fair comp just saying even the best wrs can drop off to irrelevancy)

Evan's is for sure safer but I dont think he'll ever enter the top tier of wrs which juju could. He could legitimately put up Pittsburg AB numbers which are better than anything Evan's has ever put up.

Cooper is the wild card to me becuase he was apparently a top 5 Wr during the 9 week span he was in dallas. But I just cant trust dak to produce an elite guy like that. Even if the defense sells out to stop zeke I believe dak is just bad enough to keep amari at wr 10-15 status.

Just my beliefs but I think the risk is definitely worth the return

There's a couple things here that don't line up.

First off, T.Y Hilton has already finished top 5 as a WR and was on pace to do so last year as well if he did not get hurt and miss time/play as a decoy. Now he is in the best situation of his career. If he was already able to finish top 5 behind a bad line and in a worse situation why can't he finish top 3?

Mike Evans has already finished as the best WR in fantasy for a season (at least in standard). Last year he was 6th. Now he is also in the best situation of his career with an extremely competent coach. So why can't he finish top 3? He's already been in the top tier multiple times and just entering his prime. 

In fact, Evans probably has the highest ceiling out of anyone outside of Hopkins. He put up 1,524 yards last year with QB controversy the entire season. Now he has Arians so with a stable QB and Arians 20% increase in yards is possible. That's 1,800 yards. While he's been inconsistent in terms of TDs he's also shown he can get double digit TDs.

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

There's a couple things here that don't line up.

First off, T.Y Hilton has already finished top 5 as a WR and was on pace to do so last year as well if he did not get hurt and miss time/play as a decoy. Now he is in the best situation of his career. If he was already able to finish top 5 behind a bad line and in a worse situation why can't he finish top 3?

You do know Andrew Luck is currently hurt right? Hilton doesn't do squat without him

51 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Evans has already been the WR1 for a year in fantasy football.  Probably safe to say he'll enter the top tier of WRs "ever"

56 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

You do know Andrew Luck is currently hurt right? Hilton doesn't do squat without him

Hilton becomes a legit concern if Luck doesn't look like he'll be ready. Without Luck in 2017, Hilton averaged more than five fantasy points per game fewer than he did in 2016 and 2018 (half PPR). That is a dramatic swing. 

Even with a healthy Luck, I have Juju ranked about a full round higher than Hilton at least. 

Yea he finished top 5 once. And he led the league in receiving yards but he only scored like 7tds so in a year he could've easily been the wr1 he wasnt. I'm not saying it's completely out of the realm of possibility to be a top 3 guy but hes played 7 years and made top 5 once I think we just know who t.y. is now. and luck has been less than beacon of health as well.

Mike Evans has already finished as the best WR in fantasy for a season (at least in standard). Last year he was 6th. Now he is also in the best situation of his career with an extremely competent coach. So why can't he finish top 3? He's already been in the top tier multiple times and just entering his prime. 

Firstly I just wanna say that when I'm talking about the top tier wrs I'm talking about the guys who have repeatedly shown their ability to be a top 3 to 5 guy. (I thought that was a common belief) Guys like Dhop, or AB, or julio, or jordy were all part of this top tier at one time or another. (Maybe not jordy I cant remember all his season ranks) there are guys who might be knocking on the door of this top tier. Like tyreke and micheal thomas and Adam's. They have shown the ability to be amaizing but havent done it more than once to me their a tier below. And Evan's belongs in that tier ifnot even a tier below that. While mike Evan's has finished as the wr1 he also finished 2015 as wr24 and 2017 as wr 17 in half ppr. Last year he was wr9. 

In 2016 mike Evan was the wr1 it was an abnormally low scoring year for wrs. In half ppr Evan's was tied with jordy for 256 points. That's the lowest top scoring wr in the last 5 years. 

256 points wasnt a top 5 wr In 2018 it wasnt top 3 In 2017 and it wasnt top 6 In 2015 and wasnt top 5 In 2014.

It's not mike Evan's fault that his career best fantasy season was in a wr scoring lull season but that (to me) shouldnt bump him up to the top tier wrs. 

In fact, Evans probably has the highest ceiling out of anyone outside of Hopkins. He put up 1,524 yards last year with QB controversy the entire season. Now he has Arians so with a stable QB and Arians 20% increase in yards is possible. That's 1,800 yards. While he's been inconsistent in terms of TDs he's also shown he can get double digit TDs.

I dont believe the qb controversy can be used as a negative to mike Evan's since both qbs played surprisingly well. As a matter of fact if you took the games fitzmagic started and added those fantasy points to the fantasy points of the games winston started you would get something like the #4 overall fantasy qb. I believe odell would've  killed to have that kinda play at the qb position last year.  

1800 recieving yards has only been met 4 times in NFL history. Julio, calvin, AB, and jerry rice. So I doubt that's gonna happen but maybe. Last year the 1500 yards was also by far his most recieving yardage season 1300 being his next highest. Hes much more likely to come back down to earth for 20% than to increase 20% more. And as for having the highest ceiling of everyone but DHop so far mike Evan's ceiling has been 256 points and it's not been real close since. Julio, dhop, and AB have outscored that several times but ABs situation has changed. Tyreke outscored it last year and has the best qb in the league. Adam's outscored it last year and has the 2nd best qb in the league and odell outscored it 2 times and now has a vastly improved qb than old busted eli manning

All this being said mike Evans is a monster just not top tier.. to me atleaat.. but I'd prefer juju. Better qb. More targets, team has a ton game, much better yac, and AB left 180 more targets on the table when he left.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

My #1 ranked WR this year.

Feels a hell of a lot like 2018 Devante Adams. 

Been saying this since the second AB left and everyone thinks I’m crazy. Dude is about to set the league on fire this year. 

• Like 2
On 8/13/2019 at 12:23 PM, Gohawks said:

My problem with JuJu is if the risk is worth the return.I really don't see how he has a higher ceiling than multiple guys going behind him such as Evans, Hilton, Brown, Allen, and Cooper.

???  What risk?  And how does he not have a higher ceiling than Hilton, Allen or Cooper? He has the talent, the great OL, the great QB, the other good if not great other options so teams can't just key on him.

While I would say he is a lot safer than Brown and Cooper I don't really see him to be a safer pick than Allen and damn sure not safer than Evans or Hilton. So you are taking more risk.

Why is he not safe?

That being said, I do think JuJu has a higher likely outcome than everyone I mentioned

First you said he doesn't have a higher ceiling than them, now you're saying he does.??

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

My #1 ranked WR this year.

Feels a hell of a lot like 2018 Devante Adams. 

Not a chance. Adams can actually win on the outside. Juju can't beat press coverage, which is why he's best in the slot.

• Haha 1
On 8/13/2019 at 11:57 AM, Rickydragon said:

I’m not seeing it.  He’s gonna face the shut down corner and double coverage now.  And this team doesn’t have the weapons to air it out like they used to.  

Watch his highlight reel and watch him burn Ramsey and it might change your mind. Don't worry about stuff recievers against corners. They will produce most of the time. 

• Thanks 1

I do have some concerns about hes gonna be when hes the focal point, but I think ultimately he will still ball out.

He's got the skills. And most importantly he seems like a hard worker and good dude so he should just now be entering his prime skillz in his third year.

Expectations and hype trains are fully loaded!

On 8/13/2019 at 11:57 AM, Rickydragon said:

I agree with this. I am not saying JuJu is going to fall off the face of the earth, but being thrust into that #1 Role with the shutdown CB on him at all time I see his production going down. 

15 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Juju is an absolute freak. Dude is going to eat! 

Not this again with the eating.  Got a long break from this type of verbiage in the baseball forum.  I almost forgot that people talk like this.  I suppose that football just attracts a different caliber of poster.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I dont think I've seen anyone post this here.  But this is a good article to read on.

https://rotoexperts.com/juju-smith-schuster-wr1-fantasy-football/

I think this is one of the biggest advantages he has over other guys being picked around his ADP:

-Smith-Schuster will not turn 23 until after Week 11 of the 2019 season and has never suffered a major injury after playing a fully healthy three seasons in college and missing his lone NFL game through a minor suspension. Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, and Odell Beckham have reported serious injuries in their playing career and are least four years older than Smith-Schuster. Davante Adams and Michael Thomas are both four years Smith-Schuster’s senior. It truly feels absurd to consider how young he is relative to his peers at the position.

On 8/24/2019 at 4:21 PM, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Not this again with the eating.  Got a long break from this type of verbiage in the baseball forum.  I almost forgot that people talk like this.  I suppose that football just attracts a different caliber of poster.

Sounds exactly like something a snowflake would say 

• Haha 1