NBC Sports EDGE Forums

JuJu Smith-Schuster 2019 Outlook

Boudewijn

1 minute ago, lvsaint429 said:

The only plus I see going forward is that the Steelers have finally figured out to put Juju in the slot to keep #1 CB’s off him. He’s got the best hands on the team, so they should be running him on the high-percentage throws like they did with AB. Washington & Johnson are fast but don’t have the experience in route-running like Juju has

what are your negatives? target share for Johnson?

22 minutes ago, axiom20XX said:

what are your negatives? target share for Johnson?

1) The commitment to running so much that they’re predictable. When 2 TE’s, a FB, & 1 WR (every time it was Holton) are on the field, they aren’t passing. They must’ve run that formation 10+ times. 
2)  Rudolph failed to really get in a groove vs a terrible defense. He wasn’t great, and he’s going to struggle against better teams

1 hour ago, lvsaint429 said:

The only plus I see going forward is that the Steelers have finally figured out to put Juju in the slot to keep #1 CB’s off him. He’s got the best hands on the team, so they should be running him on the high-percentage throws like they did with AB. Washington & Johnson are fast but don’t have the experience in route-running like Juju has

Didn't most of his production come when Howard was "hurt" on the sideline? His TD definitely was while Howard was out

Honestly there were a lot of positives from this game - and I felt hopeless initially. 1) juju was clearly the main WR they were trying to get involved. 2) Johnson again showed he’s capable enough to at least be a concern of the defense. 3) Rudolph threw the ball down field, a good amount, and though he was far from perfect he was competent after he shook off the early game jitters. 4) good players produce in good matchups most of the time and he was able to. 

Unfortunately the tough defenses come up, and if Conner is out there’s no real second guy to help balance things. I’m still worried for the future but far less so after seeing what is capable even considering an easy match up. 

2 hours ago, street sharks said:

Didn't most of his production come when Howard was "hurt" on the sideline? His TD definitely was while Howard was out

Howard weren't shadowing Juju when he was on the field. There was times where they bracketed Juju with 2 defenders...

Juju started running free once Diontae Johnson got free...

If his volume stays consistent with what last night provided I’ll feel a lot better about him. The running backs being banged up may increase his volume as well. Understand some may argue defenses may key in on him but I think Johnson and Washington provide enough of a threat to opposing defenses that they can’t just focus all of their attention on Juju.

I'm not so sure...after the 1st quarter last night, Rudolph looks perfectly capable of keeping JuJu fantasy-relevant. If Conner is indeed out or limited, PIT may be forced to throw even more & they have an extremely easy slate coming up after the Colts & Rams games. That's the home stretch that will dictate for many whether they make the playoffs or not.

34 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

That might be my biggest pet peeve. It’s so hard to sell high when everything says sell high. I would love to move Juju, but no one is stupid. 

I couldn't agree more. Nothing more annoying than when every fantasy article in the world says something negative about a player and they expect you to be able to move that player. How's that conversation go with a potential trade partner?

"Hey man, want JuJu?"

"No way man, every single article on the internet has him as a sell high! Why would I want to buy him now?!"

If anything he's still a sell low unless you have a league mate who didn't see how terrible Rudolph looked last night. Miami looked like they just gave up in the second half. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wayzupusc said:

Most 100-yd receiving games before turning 23 in NFL history:
12 - JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTER
11 - Randy Moss  
10 - Odell Beckham Jr.

Dude is a beast. He’d be wrecking the league with a healthy Ben right now. 

37 minutes ago, roadawg said:

Negative is that JuJu isn't quick off the line or tremendously explosive. 

Multiple 97 yard touchdowns, but not that explosive. Gotcha. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fullonchubb said:

WON ME MY WEEK ON THAT TD CATCH. Damn that was seriously the best feeling last night.  He's my favorite player in the NFL behind Chubb.  He's got character, and good things are coming for him.

Same.  And I didn't want to get too excited until the announcers called it and I could see the 19.   I was just sure that it was going to turn out to be Johnson.

Edited by K197040
  • Like 1

Mannnn, I needed 9 pts to win and after he had 0 in the 1st Q I started getting depressed hahaa. 

That TD grab has to be one of my favorites on the year, what a play by JuJu. 

At first I was getting pissed about all the passed to #13 and 18, but as Rudolph kept throwing I got excited, knowing that the DBs would start to real out about 18 and let my mans #19 feast. All Aboard JuuuuuJuuuuuuu

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 10:10 PM, tatddy said:

Have you looked at the Steelers schedule? Talk about the ultimate buy low candidate. You could get a guy who was drafted at 2nd round value for a middling fantasy player. 

Guess I'll quote myself since people are still worried about him moving foward. Steelers have Cleveland twice, Bengals and  Arizona in a 4 week stretch coming up some of the more beatable secondaries in the NFL. Congrats to those of you who shipped JuJu off selling at ultimate low point but I'll say again it wasn't a sell for him 2 weeks ago and it isn't now unless you're not giving him away. 

You don't win in business or fantasy by selling low.

• Like 1