NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Luis Garcia - SS/2B WAS

ST. STEVEN

Now this is the Luis Garcia that needs a thread...(their are 8 alone in the minors!)

Lefty swinging middle infielder, 6' tall 190 lbs.

18 yrs old until this coming summer (2019), he made waves as bigger bonus kid that hit well in Rookie ball in 2017.

The hits kept coming in A ball last year and he even slightly improved after a HighA promo mid-season.

Here is what CBS has to say:

"He was 3.3 years younger and 11% better than the average hitter in the Sally League and 4.4 years younger and 12% better than the average hitter in the Carolina League. It may not seem like much, but his .113 ISO at High-A was a very positive indicator, given his age, hit tool (.297 AVG at Low-A was a career low) and contact skills (14.9 K% at High-A). Up-the-middle players simply don't have full-season debuts like that in their age 17/18 campaigns. Garcia has pedigree ($1.3 million bonus on July 2, 2016) and at 6-foot, 190 pounds, more power is coming."

After his showing last year--including a Futures Game selection--he started to show up on astute pubs' lists...and I expect him to come in on plenty now. WAS is not afraid to be aggressive with dynamic talents either...I'd get in before the hype really builds.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Now this is the Luis Garcia that needs a thread...(their are 8 alone in the minors!)

Lefty swinging middle infielder, 6' tall 190 lbs.

18 yrs old until this coming summer (2019), he made waves as bigger bonus kid that hit well in Rookie ball in 2017.

The hits kept coming in A ball last year and he even slightly improved after a HighA promo mid-season.

Here is what CBS has to say:

"He was 3.3 years younger and 11% better than the average hitter in the Sally League and 4.4 years younger and 12% better than the average hitter in the Carolina League. It may not seem like much, but his .113 ISO at High-A was a very positive indicator, given his age, hit tool (.297 AVG at Low-A was a career low) and contact skills (14.9 K% at High-A). Up-the-middle players simply don't have full-season debuts like that in their age 17/18 campaigns. Garcia has pedigree ($1.3 million bonus on July 2, 2016) and at 6-foot, 190 pounds, more power is coming."

After his showing last year--including a Futures Game selection--he started to show up on astute pubs' lists...and I expect him to come in on plenty now. WAS is not afraid to be aggressive with dynamic talents either...I'd get in before the hype really builds.

I'd take it with a grain of salt.  Both Wander Franco and Luis Santana have put up better numbers in rookie ball at the same age and while one is a top prospect, he grossly overdid Garcia in stats.  Santana was just traded as a part of a package for JD Davis which shows how much he is worth.

• 2 months later...

A lesson I learned from Adalberto Mondesi - when a guy is extremely young for his level, don't scout the stat line too hard.

Garcia may not have torn up High-A as an 18-year-old, but just playing at that level at 18 is impressive. The fantasy numbers can appear later, like they did for Mondesi.

• Like 1

Garcia was also significantly better than Mondesi by almost any measure in their age 18 High-A year. He struck out at a far better clip and put up a significantly better OPS. Fangraphs has his A+ wRC+ at 112 whereas Mondesi's was 69.

He absolutely has the tools to be a top prospect, which is why most every site considers him a top prospect. The hit tool is expected to be at least plus with a chance for more, and then there's speed, a solid arm, and the ability to play middle infield.

• Like 3

On 4/2/2019 at 2:38 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

Still 18 (until May) and heading to AA, after having a pretty impressive (and fairly long) showing in ST.

And yeah, he has the tools and IS a top prospect...clearly

Sorry man, but 40 total walks in about 700 abs isn't gonna do anything for me.  If he doesn't have patience at a low level, doubt it'll get better in the majors.  Screams regression to me, and that's as a Nats fan.  Most of his prospect clout is based on his glove and position, as his bat is not advanced at this stage.  Could get better, but right now it's definitely not.

On 4/2/2019 at 2:50 PM, SpartyOn4 said:

A lesson I learned from Adalberto Mondesi - when a guy is extremely young for his level, don't scout the stat line too hard.

Garcia may not have torn up High-A as an 18-year-old, but just playing at that level at 18 is impressive. The fantasy numbers can appear later, like they did for Mondesi.

Not the best comp as Mondesi is a career .258/.303/.410 hitter in the minors, and never really had a great minor season at any level until he was 21 in AAA.

• 4 weeks later...

I think he's starting to figure out AA pitching. He's been striking out way less recently. Has a 3/4 K/BB ratio over his last 10 games batting .275.

In his 15 games before that, he struck out 15 times to only 1 walk. 

And just a reminder, because it cannot be overstated, he is the only 18 year old in AA baseball. In fact, nobody else in all three leagues of AA is even 19 years old. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 10:13 AM, to_be_quite_frank said:

I think he's starting to figure out AA pitching. He's been striking out way less recently. Has a 3/4 K/BB ratio over his last 10 games batting .275.

In his 15 games before that, he struck out 15 times to only 1 walk. 

And just a reminder, because it cannot be overstated, he is the only 18 year old in AA baseball. In fact, nobody else in all three leagues of AA is even 19 years old. 

Welp.... Looks like he was not really figuring it out. 

No way to paint this other than that he's struggling. He's not striking out at a crazy rate, it's pretty in-line with his career rates. 

He's simply not hitting for hard contact. Hopefully he starts clicking soon

Definitely not pretty, but we also have to remember he's extremely young and playing against people a few years older than him.  It's good exposure and this may very well be a lost season, but as long as it doesn't crush him mentally I would expect him to see AA next year and hopefully put up much better numbers after having a year of exposure. 

Ideally we all want to see prospects shine at every level, but for me it's more important as to whether or not they can bounce back or learn from their struggles.  If you look at a lot of other very good prospects you can find similar dips in production but typically the next year there's always a spike upwards in stats where they've figured something out and progressed their game.  I'm hoping the same thing happens to this kid.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lonny Baxter said:

Here is an interesting fact about Luis Garcia. If he was still in the Carolina League, Garcia would be the youngest player in the league by more than a year. 

Ozzie Albies 2.0? He was always the youngest it seemed.