NBC Sports Edge Forums

Stefon Diggs 2019 Outlook

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean...Kirk Cousins?  His former QB?

As a Gordon and Diggs owner:

lol after one game?   

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, herschel said:

brady will restructure and play for a dollar if it means they can get diggs.

He already restructured, they can't redo his deal twice in the same year.  They would need to restructure Hightower or McCourty.

Maybe they would feel compelled to for an extension.

52 minutes ago, ginocan said:

Unpopular opinion I know, but if you signed on the dotted line and if you are not injured, then go out there and practice and play. Do your job. 

I’d agree with this if teams didn’t treat their players like s---. You get what you give.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I’d agree with this if teams didn’t treat their players like s---. You get what you give.

I agree.  The problem with the old school mentality of "you sign a contract" is that the owners don't care about the contract either.  You tear your knee the wrong time, you're done.  Another city offers more ad revenue, you move.  Can't say I fault the players for getting the best deal they can considering who they are dealing with.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I agree.  The problem with the old school mentality of "you sign a contract" is that the owners don't care about the contract either.  You tear your knee the wrong time, you're done.  Another city offers more ad revenue, you move.  Can't say I fault the players for getting the best deal they can considering who they are dealing with.

Um, he just signed a deal with 40 million guaranteed. Cousins deal was fully guaranteed 

He could suffer a career ending injury and keep that money. Let's not act as if the players aren't fairly compensated.

I've often seen players list like that when there is like a death in the family and they are away from the team. So many different reasons out there besides he skipped workout to go get traded, That makes zero sense.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Um, he just signed a deal with 40 million guaranteed. Cousins deal was fully guaranteed 

He could suffer a career ending injury and keep that money. Let's not act as if the players aren't fairly compensated.

Sometimes they are.  When they catch game winning touchdowns in playoff games.  But at other points in their career, or if they play a different position, etc. meh.  Guaranteed money only, the rest is subject to you not getting hurt.

Don't ask me to support owner's negotiation talking points because it "builds character."  Owners don't have character, they have revenue generating engines.

6 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

I've often seen players list like that when there is like a death in the family and they are away from the team. So many different reasons out there besides he skipped workout to go get traded, That makes zero sense.

You said it was definitely an injury like three pages ago.  No one knows nothing.  But it's more fun to speculate for our fantasy teams than to continue to imagine him on the Vikings.  Can we dream for a bit?

9 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Might mean nothing but I'm starting to see trending tweets that have him going to Bills?? Ugh.. Just the thought makes me vomit

Why? The Bills are pretty good and got a QB with a cannon arm. They also have zero offensive weapons. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Why? The Bills are pretty good and got a QB with a cannon arm. They also have zero offensive weapons. 

Right. So the defense takes away their one playmaker and we are back to square one again

Edited by OrangeCrush
26 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Sometimes they are.  When they catch game winning touchdowns in playoff games.  But at other points in their career, or if they play a different position, etc. meh.  Guaranteed money only, the rest is subject to you not getting hurt.

Don't ask me to support owner's negotiation talking points because it "builds character."  Owners don't have character, they have revenue generating engines.

For sure. But when players sign off on collective bargaining agreements and then immediately refuse to live by those terms, you aren't going to get much sympathy..

With that said, I do understand players who get franchise tagged getting frustrated. But Diggs just signed his deal knowing Zimmer was his head coach and cousins was his QB.

2 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

For sure. But when players sign off on collective bargaining agreements and then immediately refuse to live by those terms, you aren't going to get much sympathy..

With that said, I do understand players who get franchise tagged getting frustrated. But Diggs just signed his deal knowing Zimmer was his head coach and cousins was his QB.

True, but I'm not sure if he knew they were going to "run to set up play action" to the point where Woody Hayes was yawning.  10 pass attempts.  In 2019.  You can't ask two Pro Bowl WRs to accept that and also a QB who can't hit the broad side of a barn without some consternation.

44 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Right. So the defense takes away their one playmaker and we are back to square one again

No because the Bills are a run first team so they take away the run. The difference is Allen isn’t scared to throw it deep and Diggs doesn’t have another WR to compete with. 

Yes he’s an erratic and inaccurate QB but it’s still 10 times better than a scared and inaccurate QB. 

• Like 1

Going through the Vikings subreddit it looks like Diggs flew back to Maryland Tuesday night for personal reasons and will be back in Minnesota tonight and practice tomorrow (Thursday).  What the hell any of this means is anybody's guess.

Edited by CharlesCC2
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Going through the Vikings subreddit it looks like Diggs flew back to Maryland Tuesday night for personal reasons and will be back in Minnesota tonight and practice tomorrow (Thursday).  What the hell any of this means is anybody's guess.

I guess it means it's personal. 

ESPN's Josina Anderson reports one team has been informed that Stefon Diggs will not be traded.

Diggs did not practice on Wednesday and posted odd things on social media, which had fans speculating things were going on behind closed doors. To add to the fire, Diggs and Adam Thielen haven't met expectations in 2019 with Kirk Cousins struggling and with the team running the ball at a higher rate, but the Vikings have no incentive to trade their highly-paid receiver. Diggs' participation in practice is worth monitoring for the rest of the week, however, after appearing to be playing through an injury last Sunday.

Cousins is a better QB than he has shown in Minnesota, just look at what he did in Washington. Why cant this team use theilan and Diggs better? This is like the chiefs deciding to run a grinding ground game and throw ten times per week.

57 minutes ago, oban14 said:

Cousins is a better QB than he has shown in Minnesota, just look at what he did in Washington. Why cant this team use theilan and Diggs better? This is like the chiefs deciding to run a grinding ground game and throw ten times per week.

I mean can people really blame them? Cook is a beast! Which I am really surprised as to why the passing game have not been opened up, since teams are definitely trying to stack the box with Cook dominating the first quarter of the season. 

As a 100% stock holder of Cook, I want Thielen and Diggs to ball out to get more goal line touches for Cook and teams to stop stacking the box. But Cousins is making it hard for those things to happen. 

1 hour ago, oban14 said:

Agreed.  You don’t even have to look back to Washington.  Just last year Kirk had 30 tds and 4300 yards.   I know everyone loves to s*** on Cousins like he’s some backup QB parading around as a starter, but something weird is going on with their passing game.  It’s more than just saying they are focusing on the run now .  Maybe he got the yips, but I think the coaching deserves the bulk of the blame. 

3 hours ago, Hero202 said:

Agreed.  You don’t even have to look back to Washington.  Just last year Kirk had 30 tds and 4300 yards.   I know everyone loves to s*** on Cousins like he’s some backup QB parading around as a starter, but something weird is going on with their passing game.  It’s more than just saying they are focusing on the run now .  Maybe he got the yips, but I think the coaching deserves the bulk of the blame. 

It’s the def the coaching. Gary Kubiak coached the run first broncos team that won the Super Bowl with Peyton Manning as their qb and I think he is trying to implement the same thing with the good defense they have. Problem is this Viking team Has two pro bowl wide receivers so he needs a more balance attack 

3 minutes ago, babyfaceassasin said:

It’s the def the coaching. Gary Kubiak coached the run first broncos team that won the Super Bowl with Peyton Manning as their qb and I think he is trying to implement the same thing with the good defense they have. Problem is this Viking team Has two pro bowl wide receivers so he needs a more balance attack 

There would be no particular need to get more targets to Diggs and Thielen just for the sake of doing so.  The problem, of course, is that the Vikings aren't winning games with their super run heavy approach.  I am sure a defensive coach like Zimmer loves pounding the run and nursing the clock and keeping his defense fresh.  But unless he wins enough games to make the playoffs, he could get fired.

With the New York Giants up next, I suspect you will see Minnesota get their passing game clicking a bit more.  Giants have been decent against the run, but have been strafed by opposing passing games.