NBC Sports EDGE Forums

O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

Flyman75

20 minutes ago, BMcP said:

one question: why are we assuming TB won’t draft a receiver who will be seeing the field as of Week 1 in 3-wide sets?

odds are slim considering how desperate the bucs are at 1) defensive back / safety, 2) linebacker, 3) offensive line, and some would suggest 4) QB.

really, WR is way down the list, and i imagine we'll see breshad perriman bouncing around the field filling that 3rd wr role.

most likely the bucs will take greedy williams, lukas denis, or amani oruwariye in rounds 1, 2, and/or 3, and/or mix and match tj edwards and cameron smith. the first three are much-needed DBs, the other two linebackers. they've also been linked to sweat (DE from miss state), jonah williams (OT from alabama) and another offensive lineman i'm not sure about. if they go QB early, slide these positions down a notch, which would take the 5.7 spot and leave them with 7.1 open for WR, maybe. so far down the list, you or i might be drafted there for WR. so start stretching.

YouthFootball.jpg

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Now that we’ve determined that all three TEs you listed above are in systems more friendly to the TE, one question: why are we assuming TB won’t draft a receiver who will be seeing the field as of Week 1 in 3-wide sets?  The target vacuum left by the departure of those two players is going to be filled by a multiplicity of players, at least one of which is not on the team currently.

Even more targets available if the 7 million dollar backup to OJ Howard gets traded. 

5 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

odds are slim considering how desperate the bucs are at 1) defensive back / safety, 2) linebacker, 3) offensive line, and some would suggest 4) QB.

really, WR is way down the list, and i imagine we'll see breshad perriman bouncing around the field filling that 3rd wr role.

You may very well be right about Perriman - honestly I forgot about that signing, but he’s a former blue-chip prospect who really came on down the stretch last year.  I was wondering at the time whether we were witnessing a breakout.

I hear you on needs, but there are a ton of WRs available this year - for relatively cheap, actually.  It’s a good opportunity for WR-needy teams to make a value pick.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Even more targets available if the 7 million dollar backup to OJ Howard gets traded. 

Very true - though I should note I haven’t seen any credible report that the organization is even considering trading Brate.  Man, if they were, they sure missed out on an opportunity to get Belichick on the horn.

9 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Bruce Arians’ philosophy is one the Buccaneers have been missing

“Your system is your guys. Find out what they can do,” Arians said.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2019/1/11/18178388/bruce-arians-philosophy-is-one-the-bucs-have-been-missing

There are two things to look at here

1)  What Arians said in his interview.

2)  What Arians has actually done for the past ten seasons he has run an NFL offense.

What do you think he's going to say?  "I am going to force guys into my system, even if that's not the best fit?"  Coaches almost always say what Arians is saying, but they also almost try to put the players at hand into the systems they are familiar with running.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Why, as an advocate of Howard, would you be delighted to bring up that Todd Monken, and his Air Raid offense that was close to ideal for maximizing the fantasy potential of all receivers on the team, was “fired”?  

Spoiler alert: that’s not a positive for Howard’s value.

Because Arians is a better coach than Todd Monkeybrain.

Edited by MJJ28

12 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

Because Arians is a better coach than Todd Monkeybrain.

But we are not looking for a "better coach," necessarily, when selecting our magic foosball players.  Good coaches know when to sit on the ball with long drives, and run the rock, punt for field position, and win games.  In fantasy, we want mad "geniuses" who will dial up 55 passes a game, regardless of being ahead or behind.  Nagy, Martz, Glanville, those types.  Stats baby! 

13 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

There are two things to look at here

1)  What Arians said in his interview.

2)  What Arians has actually done for the past ten seasons he has run an NFL offense.

What do you think he's going to say?  "I am going to force guys into my system, even if that's not the best fit?"  Coaches almost always say what Arians is saying, but they also almost try to put the players at hand into the systems they are familiar with running.

EXACTLY. Put the players at hand into the system they’re familiar with running. Arians will incorporate OJ Howard into his system.

None of us are expecting Arians to completely revamp his system and center it around OJ Howard. For Howard to reach the potential many of us hope for, it only requires Arians/Leftwich to throw to the TE more than Arians offenses typically have in the past. Since Howard is such a great weapon and mismatch, it’s very reasonable to expect Arians/Leftwich to do exactly that. 

And the system Arians is most comfortable with uses the TE primarily to block, and focuses on getting the ball to the WRs.  So that's the system, with a ten year track record, that Howard will be shoehorned into.  That's not a recipe for fantasy goodness, from where I am sitting.

Arians adjusted Fitz's use to greatly improve his ability in AZ, its not like he is oblivious to how to get the most out of his players.  However, he isn't dealing with the same bereft receiving corps he was in AZ, so perhaps Arians won't need to make adjustments to maximize Howard.

I don't know, this is a spot I think I will actively avoid. I am still feeling burned after drafting Burton last year and expecting greatness.

21 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And the system Arians is most comfortable with uses the TE primarily to block, and focuses on getting the ball to the WRs.  So that's the system, with a ten year track record, that Howard will be shoehorned into.  That's not a recipe for fantasy goodness, from where I am sitting.

So you think that no matter how good a TE is, Arians simply will simply refuse to involve him enough in his offense to make him a high quality fantasy option? Even if his TE is literally the best TE who has ever played the game, and set the single season NFL record for TDs and yardage the year before, in the prime of his career.

I’m not saying Howard is this player, I’m asking you to suppose Arians had this legendary TE on his team. You still think he would be a fantasy flop because Arians is too dumb or stubborn to incorporate TEs into his offense? No matter how good, how uncoverable, or how productive? This legendary TE would become a fantasy disappointment in Arians system, as opposed to Arians finding a way to incorporate him into his system?

6 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

So you think that no matter how good a TE is, Arians simply will simply refuse to involve him enough in his offense to make him a high quality fantasy option? Even if his TE is literally the best TE who has ever played the game, and set the single season NFL record for TDs and yardage the year before, in the prime of his career.

I’m not saying Howard is this player, I’m asking you to suppose Arians had this legendary TE on his team. You still think he would be a fantasy flop because Arians is too dumb or stubborn to incorporate TEs into his offense? No matter how good, how uncoverable, or how productive? This legendary TE would become a fantasy disappointment in Arians system, as opposed to Arians finding a way to incorporate him into his system?

you have to look at it from the other / third side: IF arians does too well this season, he can really only go down from there. and really, this is the season where he has the most leeway from the general manager and owner: he doesn't have to succeed: if arians doesn't do well at all, if his bucs are horrible, then it's his first season on the bucs and he can only go up in 2020. so clearly the system should not use oj, despite the solidity of the articles you're posting.

plus, after not utilizing oj howard for 3/4 of the season and ruining playoff chances, and then listening to fans and other coaches by using oj as a receiver, arians will seem like a really good listener, which is a great thing to be.

there, that should put this matter to rest, finally.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Does Arians have WR talent the level of Evans and Godwin in this scenario? I think he will do more to make sure that Evans doesn't look dead on his feet towards the end of games; he is an offensive coach who likes WRs with very competent WRs to utilize.

If the WR talent was Fitz/Floyd/Brown, I could buy in to him adjusting the system more.

16 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

Does Arians have WR talent the level of Evans and Godwin in this scenario? I think he will do more to make sure that Evans doesn't look dead on his feet towards the end of games; he is an offensive coach who likes WRs with very competent WRs to utilize.

If the WR talent was Fitz/Floyd/Brown, I could buy in to him adjusting the system more.

Never mind. I guess I just believe that a smart coach is able to figure out how to make the adjustments necessary to incorporate his best players into his system as opposed to wasting their talent. Maybe Arians didn’t think highly enough of his past TEs to do so. I believe he’ll be happy to find a place for OJ Howard in his system. It’s not that complicated. Throw the TE a few more balls because he’s awesome at football. See, system adjusted!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jamesis likes to go vertical holds on to the ball too long which is why he is terrible at protecting the ball from strips and he makes low percentage passes he shouldnt make

Evans+godwin+ a redeemed perriman =  a solid group of pass catchers. 

the rb situation is up in the air

howard will more than likely be a red zone threat. I just don't see in an arians+leftwich  system where the TE becomes a stud. 

even when leftwich took over playcalling for the cardinals last season the te was never used on a team bereft of talent

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sack Exchange said:

you have to look at it from the other / third side: IF arians does too well this season, he can really only go down from there. and really, this is the season where he has the most leeway from the general manager and owner: he doesn't have to succeed: if arians doesn't do well at all, if his bucs are horrible, then it's his first season on the bucs and he can only go up in 2020. so clearly the system should not use oj, despite the solidity of the articles you're posting.

plus, after not utilizing oj howard for 3/4 of the season and ruining playoff chances, and then listening to fans and other coaches by using oj as a receiver, arians will seem like a really good listener, which is a great thing to be.

there, that should put this matter to rest, finally.

giphy.gif

Usually when posters in this forum tell other posters that they are hilarious, they are being sarcastic and bitter because they disagree.  I, however, am saying you are hilarious because you are fr*cken' hilarious.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

If Arians was coaching Gronk in 2011 (the 17 TD pass reception season), I think Gronk still would have put up ten TDs.  Still very good, but not to his full potential because Arians system usually uses the TE to block so the WRs have a little time to get downfield.

23 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Never mind. I guess I just believe that a smart coach is able to figure out how to make the adjustments necessary to incorporate his best players into his system as opposed to wasting their talent. Maybe Arians didn’t think highly enough of his past TEs to do so. I believe he’ll be happy to find a place for OJ Howard in his system. It’s not that complicated. Throw the TE a few more balls because he’s awesome at football. See, system adjusted!

Sounds like Heath Miller to me

On 4/12/2019 at 2:18 PM, Stonej14 said:

Oh I watched him, I had him on my team. I think he broke 50 yards once that half way decent year for the jets. And when you only half one half way decent season in 6 years. Your a bum when guys like Mercedes Lewis and garrett celeck have a better season than your best season. Maybe I'm just jaded from being let down by him. 

I still question how much you've watched. Having him on your team and watching RedZone doesn't count. ASJ is a talented guy. I'll agree to disagree.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Sounds like you’re starting to come around on OJ.

Never doubted OJ - just doubted him as a fifth-round pick.  Or as someone you would spend a fifth-rounder on to finish as the fifth-best TE.  Arians called Miller the best TE he has ever had the pleasure of coaching.  And at his height he was a passable fantasy option.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BMcP said:

Never doubted OJ - just doubted him as a fifth-round pick.  Or as someone you would spend a fifth-rounder on to finish as the fifth-best TE.  Arians called Miller the best TE he has ever had the pleasure of coaching.  And at his height he was a passable fantasy option.

Why is 5th round such a steep price for you?

Last year's 5th round ADP's included:

WR - Golden Tate, Brandin Cooks, Allen Robinson, Marquise Goodwin

RB - Kerryon Johnson, Dion Lewis, Carlos Hyde, Rex Burkhead

QB - DeSean Watson, Tom Brady

TE - Jimmy Graham

I'm not sure why your 5th round standards are so high.