O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Buccaneers hate children.

"Hey OJ, keep dropping those passes. We have them right where we want them. You saw what we did with AB right? We got him off of the Raiders but he had some screws loose. I know you will turn out bett

Tampa should trade OJ Howard to the Chargers for Melvin Gordon.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, The Jesus said:

This is a tough one to swallow. I can't blame anyone but myself. I simply wasn't able to do enough research in order to make the right call here, and just saw a big a** TE who got a lot of run in '18, and completely missed the fact that he now has a coach who thinks TEs should be primarily blockers. That, and, well, Jameis Winston. Whether to drop or not this week depends on a few factors:

1. Are you 0-2 after this week? If you are, chances are you have other issues other than TE, but you can't afford to wait for Jameis to actually become a real pro QB, and for Arians to realize that in the 2019 NFL TEs can make plays. This means we need to do some creative thinking to find a replacement.

2. Obviously if there is a no-brainer drop at RB/WR, might want to hold on to him for at least one more week, but no way in hell I'm starting him.

3. I am not yet at the point, even if I'm 0-2, to trade good bench depth for a suitable replacement TE. However, if I'm 0-3, I'm definitely considering it.

Its fantasy football, no amount of research can predict the future especially in a game where luck is involved

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, fjthegrey said:

What can you do with a guy like this? 

Can't drop, can't start. 

I hate the TE position. Every year its a pain. 

This is why I think most owners need to stop being so arrogant and insistent about only drafting 1 of them. 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Proteus said:

This is why I think most owners need to stop being so arrogant and insistent about only drafting 1 of them. 

Yep. Something I figured out a few years back. Most owners have not adapted to this. 

46 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Every year I have strong opinions on players and every year I let the message board fool me. 

I'm done.

I'm coming here D on the table next offseason. Not listening to anyone's opinions valid or not. And just rocking out with my dream team only. 

Your problem is that you listen to people's opinions.  You are supposed to gather information to form your own opinion.  If someone keeps saying OJ is a stud, and you go draft him its your own fault.  But if someone provides a structural argument and maybe backs it up with facts or stats then you can use that to establish your own decision.

27 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Why so you can bench the wrong one each week? Should have stuck to my plan. Hock, Waller, fant. Upside with TEs varies. Downside is all the same.

• Like 1

I still think that Howard will end up being alright this year when all is said and done.  Only 2 games have been played.  If he still looks like a dud after 5 games then I would cut him loose but if I had him, I would still hold him.

1 minute ago, sjm76 said:

I still think that Howard will end up being alright this year when all is said and done.  Only 2 games have been played.  If he still looks like a dud after 5 games then I would cut him loose but if I had him, I would still hold him.

He got 0 targts and was barely running routs. I looked to se if he was ther on a critical 3rd and 8 and it was Brate. Stick a fork in this dude

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

He got 0 targts and was barely running routs. I looked to se if he was ther on a critical 3rd and 8 and it was Brate. Stick a fork in this dude

I think that the coaches will look at the film and say that they need to get Howard more involved moving forward.  Wouldn't be surprised at all if he has a good game next week.  Howard was too good last season for them to keep ignoring him.

• Thanks 1

😱 😱 😱

Scott Barrett (@ScottBarrettDFB)
Through two weeks, OJ Howard has run a route on just 42 of Jameis Winston's 71 dropbacks (59%).

He's been targeted on just 8% of Winston's throws (just one more target than Cameron Brate).

This preseason, he played on 55 of Winston's 58 snaps (95%), well ahead of Brate (14%).
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I think that the coaches will look at the film and say that they need to get Howard more involved moving forward.  Wouldn't be surprised at all if he has a good game next week.  Howard was too good last season for them to keep ignoring him.

No they're gonna look at the film and see an interception game 1 that was his fault. Followed by a drive killing offensive PI this game and a false start when they had momentum. If anything I think they decide to increase Brates usage

21 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

34/565/5 10th overall te isnt "too good".

I dropped him.

4 minutes ago, itslarry said:

34/565/5 10th overall te isnt "too good".

I dropped him.

Well...he did that in 10 games (he only started 8 of them) so it was actually kind of a monster year he was having.

Ugh.

Is it possible that CAR was taking away all the short stuff and that's why he didn't have a good game?  Seemed to be a lot of 1 on 1 on the outside with the WRs.  Maybe their plan was to make Jameis throw downfield and expect him to miss b/c he is inaccurate?

I'm trying to make excuses here.  It's all we have left right now.

I'm gonna roll him out against the Giants.  Picked him too high to just throw in the towel after 2 games.  If I don't see a bunch of targets, I'm done with him.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, scheibler said:

No they're gonna look at the film and see an interception game 1 that was his fault. Followed by a drive killing offensive PI this game and a false start when they had momentum. If anything I think they decide to increase Brates usage

At least 2 false starts.  The good news is he was really active.  The bad news is too much of that activity was before the snap.

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, scheibler said:

Hope u decided to take my horrible advice

I'll look forward to acquiring Sony Michel, Davante Adams, Steph Diggs, etc from you as well...

If you don't like Howard this year that's cool, but if you liked him going into the year, draft him, then dump him week 2, that's pretty bad. 

Goose egg sucks 100%. But dumping your 6th round pick after 1 or 2 weeks not due to any sort of injury? That's just not good, why bother preparing for the draft, just have your team auto drafted and chase guys coming off good weeks.

• Like 2
Just now, StevieStats said:

I'll look forward to acquiring Sony Michel, Davante Adams, Steph Diggs, etc from you as well...

If you don't like Howard this year that's cool, but if you liked him going into the year, draft him, then dump him week 2, that's pretty bad. 

Goose egg sucks 100%. But dumping your 6th round pick after 1 or 2 weeks not due to any sort of injury? That's just not good, why bother preparing for the draft, just have your team auto drafted and chase guys coming off good weeks.

I agree that cutting him this early is foolish. But a zero target game is very concerning when Arians has a history of ignoring his tight ends. If i had a short bench and owned Hockenson or Waller, there is a case to be made that cutting Howard isn't the worst move. 

• Like 1