NBC Sports Edge Forums

O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Boring, much like the Bucs offense

I don't know how good of an OC Leftwich is or is not.

I know that he was OC of the worst team in football last year and his offense in TB this year looks like hot garbage.

Maybe the Arizona offense was so bad last year that nobody could have done better.

Maybe Tampa is still learning their way in an early season.

The only thing I know for sure is Leftwich has looked bad everywhere he has called plays so far.

That was on Mike McCoy, Leftwich took over

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Buccaneers hate children.

"Hey OJ, keep dropping those passes. We have them right where we want them. You saw what we did with AB right? We got him off of the Raiders but he had some screws loose. I know you will turn out bett

Tampa should trade OJ Howard to the Chargers for Melvin Gordon.

Posted Images

The Giants may be the cure for what ails OJ Howard.  They have been getting strafed by TEs for years and gave up 2 TDs to Dallas's extremely underwhelming TE group back in week 1.

9 hours ago, StevieStats said:

I'll look forward to acquiring Sony Michel, Davante Adams, Steph Diggs, etc from you as well...

If you don't like Howard this year that's cool, but if you liked him going into the year, draft him, then dump him week 2, that's pretty bad. 

Goose egg sucks 100%. But dumping your 6th round pick after 1 or 2 weeks not due to any sort of injury? That's just not good, why bother preparing for the draft, just have your team auto drafted and chase guys coming off good weeks.

That’s a bit of a straw man, isn’t it?  If you’d drop your 6th round pick after two awful weeks, you may as well autodraft?  There are points on the spectrum between there and here.  

What I spent on Howard on draft day and what I thought I knew about him when I did is not nearly as important to me as what we know from this season about Howard versus the other options I have available.

Personally, I drafted Howard based on past performance, raw talent, an assumption about passing volume in this offense, and the assumption that Howard’s talent would win out over a Bruce Airians offense that historically has not utilized the TE in the passing game to a degree that would produce 6th round fantasy draft production.  (Yeah, Leftwich is calling plays but that doesn’t mean Arians has no influence on the offense, IMO.). 

Howard is shot for me for at least the next 2 weeks, because even a big week next week won’t assure me enough to be comfortable starting him in week 4.  As someone who also drafted Andrews and picked up Waller this week (yeah 3 TEs on the roster at the moment, never saw that coming), I’d rather go with the safer floor and guaranteed usage of those two, unless something happens this weekend to them.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, FeastMode said:

That’s a bit of a straw man, isn’t it?  If you’d drop your 6th round pick after two awful weeks, you may as well autodraft?  There are points on the spectrum between there and here.  

What I spent on Howard on draft day and what I thought I knew about him when I did is not nearly as important to me as what we know from this season about Howard versus the other options I have available.

Personally, I drafted Howard based on past performance, raw talent, an assumption about passing volume in this offense, and the assumption that Howard’s talent would win out over a Bruce Airians offense that historically has not utilized the TE in the passing game to a degree that would produce 6th round fantasy draft production.  (Yeah, Leftwich is calling plays but that doesn’t mean Arians has no influence on the offense, IMO.). 

Howard is shot for me for at least the next 2 weeks, because even a big week next week won’t assure me enough to be comfortable starting him in week 4.  As someone who also drafted Andrews and picked up Waller this week (yeah 3 TEs on the roster at the moment, never saw that coming), I’d rather go with the safer floor and guaranteed usage of those two, unless something happens this weekend to them.

So you are dropping OJ?

Or will you just bench him till like week 6? 

Sounds like you think he is your 3rd best TE option. 

13 minutes ago, FeastMode said:

I got 3 te on my roster too — if my other two were Waller and Andrews then I’d drop Howard ; however my other two are graham and reed ; graham may turn out to be my starter ; the issue is opportunity cost of not picking up another alternate upside player ; 3 TE on roster sucks 

Here's the real problem.  Last year, this offense, while exciting at times, was a turnover machine.  Arians is remedying that.  The offense is much more conservative this year. Regardless whether they get the production from the running game or not, they will still commit to running the ball.  He's going to focus on running down the clock and playing solid defense and giving this sub-average team a chance to win.  What that means is that on any given week there will only be room for one boom receiver.  It's been Godwin so far, but maybe next week it's Evans or even OJ.  This is the real trouble for fantasy owners.  Even if Howard was playing amazing and if Arians incorporated the TE into his gameplan (which he hasn't really,) this offense doesn't sling the ball enough to support more than one receiver each week.  In almost all cases, Howard will be the odd man out.  I do not even see both Godwin and Evans getting 1k yards each this year so where does that leave Howard? If you can hold until the boom week comes to Howard, then perhaps you can get something back for him.  But I feel pretty confident that this guy will continue to bust.  There's always next year... 

• Like 1

OJ Howard will be the demise of his owners...high draft stock with absolutely abysmal production only providing his owners with false hope that comes in an Arians powered offense that never really utilized the TE. Sell wherever you can. Even getting Hock or Waller will be difficult at this point. 

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, mikeflavaz said:

Here's the real problem.  Last year, this offense, while exciting at times, was a turnover machine.  Arians is remedying that.  The offense is much more conservative this year. Regardless whether they get the production from the running game or not, they will still commit to running the ball.  He's going to focus on running down the clock and playing solid defense and giving this sub-average team a chance to win.  What that means is that on any given week there will only be room for one boom receiver.  It's been Godwin so far, but maybe next week it's Evans or even OJ.  This is the real trouble for fantasy owners.  Even if Howard was playing amazing and if Arians incorporated the TE into his gameplan (which he hasn't really,) this offense doesn't sling the ball enough to support more than one receiver each week.  In almost all cases, Howard will be the odd man out.  I do not even see both Godwin and Evans getting 1k yards each this year so where does that leave Howard? If you can hold until the boom week comes to Howard, then perhaps you can get something back for him.  But I feel pretty confident that this guy will continue to bust.  There's always next year... 

I think that's a good assessment. Arians knows how the air-it-out thing worked for TB last year, so he's trying to play conservative to avoid turnovers and keep games tight. This despite a really weak run game. The odd thing is you'd think that would play more into Howard's hands as a shorter distance pass option. We'll see how this plays out.

I do think TB will draft a RB pretty high next year though.  :)

Edited by bomont
11 minutes ago, bomont said:

I think that's a good assessment. Arians knows how the air-it-out thing worked for TB last year, so he's trying to play conservative to avoid turnovers and keep games tight. This despite a really weak run game. The odd thing is you'd think that would play more into Howard's hands as a shorter distance pass option. We'll see how this plays out.

I do think TB will draft a RB pretty high next year though.  :)

It is odd, especially combined with how talented this guy is. He's a freak. But wrong situation, wrong year.  Don't forget him. He'll be a steal in drafts next year. But sadly, many of us are stuck with him this year.  Rule to remember, get TEs and QBs late.  And keep alcohol down to a minimum on draft day unless you want your next team to look like the one below (minus the elite keepers.)  

Edited by mikeflavaz
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

So you are dropping OJ?

Or will you just bench him till like week 6? 

Sounds like you think he is your 3rd best TE option. 

As long as nothing surprising happens with Andrews or Waller this weekend (injury or 0 target goose egg like Howard), then yes, I’d drop Howard and roll with the other two.  Both appear to me to have an established roll in their offenses and schemes that value their talent.  If one of them gets injured and is out for several weeks, I’d rather have Howard’s potential than Gisecki or whoever is still out there on the wire today. 

1 hour ago, larfboy said:

OJ Howard will be the demise of his owners...high draft stock with absolutely abysmal production only providing his owners with false hope that comes in an Arians powered offense that never really utilized the TE. Sell wherever you can. Even getting Hock or Waller will be difficult at this point. 

Pass me that crystal ball when you're done with it. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Well...

hopefully Arians calling out juice will light a 🔥 

nice matchup next week nonetheless 🤠🤠

Maybe...

But it's tough to do anything when you're never a target.  And in watching that game it was pretty clear Howard was rarely the first option.

Winston either doesn't have enough time or isn't good enough to get through progressions to find Howard.  And it also doesn't help with the sorts of routes he was running....If he was even running any.  Seemed like half the time he was just lining up at H-back or something.

Just absolutely terrible all the way around.  My bet is that Howard is probably frustrated with how he's being used and isn't putting forth max effort knowing he probably isn't seeing the ball anyways.

The guy could be a matchup nightmare if used properly.  Arians ought to stop calling out Howard and call out Leftwich....Or take a look in the mirror.

Edited by tts42572
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owned Hunter...picked up Andrews beginning of week. Dropped Henry. Picked up Graham today and flipped him for OJ. Now I have Andrews and OJ Howard.

Worth a hold on the bench with injuries and shallow TE usage making this a tight market for TE.

4 hours ago, larfboy said:

6th round pick never breaks someones lineup.  Review past drafts and see how many 6th+ round picks end up on waivers.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, larfboy said:

lol for howard that's impossible 

1 hour ago, Fabios1993 said:

I have to drop him with no good one in FA... So bad 

Who will you pick up then?

I'm trying to trade for Hockenson but, I think the price the owner wants is too high.  While I think Hockenson is a great talent, the sample size is too small.

1 hour ago, Kilo said:

Who will you pick up then?

I'm trying to trade for Hockenson but, I think the price the owner wants is too high.  While I think Hockenson is a great talent, the sample size is too small.

Graham, Vernon Davis or ebron/doyle... Waiting  for this week for choose. Jimmy Graham is my favorite