NBC Sports Edge Forums

O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

10 hours ago, kdko said:

6th round pick never breaks someones lineup.  Review past drafts and see how many 6th+ round picks end up on waivers.

Not many that I can recall...

OJ is headed towards that direction tho.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Buccaneers hate children.

"Hey OJ, keep dropping those passes. We have them right where we want them. You saw what we did with AB right? We got him off of the Raiders but he had some screws loose. I know you will turn out bett

Tampa should trade OJ Howard to the Chargers for Melvin Gordon.

Posted Images

On 9/13/2019 at 10:38 AM, dashoe said:

I think most of the draft prognistigators forgot Cameron Brate is on the team because he was playing through injury last year and so the team relied more on OJ last year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25795599/buccaneers-te-cameron-brate-had-surgery-repair-torn-labrum-hip

Brate had 2 TD's overturned by penalty in game 1 and was always a fav Winston target in the end zone.  Plus OJ Howard is a much better blocker than Brate.  With how bad the OL's been, OJ has been the one they are going to use to block vs Brate who gets a lot of the high value opportunities in the end zone.  Plus Arian's schemes rely on lots of long developing routes, you need the blocking to hold up.  Other times, with backup QB's in Zona, I remember there were lots of dinks and dunks and running the ball.  If the pass blocking from the OL gets better, I think OJ will be better later in the season.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, rocket said:

I think most of the draft prognistigators forgot Cameron Brate is on the team because he was playing through injury last year and so the team relied more on OJ last year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25795599/buccaneers-te-cameron-brate-had-surgery-repair-torn-labrum-hip

Brate had 2 TD's overturned by penalty in game 1 and was always a fav Winston target in the end zone.  Plus OJ Howard is a much better blocker than Brate.  With how bad the OL's been, OJ has been the one they are going to use to block vs Brate who gets a lot of the high value opportunities in the end zone.  Plus Arian's schemes rely on lots of long developing routes, you need the blocking to hold up.  Other times, with backup QB's in Zona, I remember there were lots of dinks and dunks and running the ball.  If the pass blocking from the OL gets better, I think OJ will be better later in the season.    

This, 

Gusy forgot BRATE was on the team smh, was always a favorite Target of Winston

On 9/13/2019 at 6:25 AM, StevieStats said:

dumping your 6th round pick after 1 or 2 weeks not due to any sort of injury? That's just not good, why bother preparing for the draft,

Maybe people who drafted OJ in the 5th/6th round didn't bother preparing for the draft?

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, brosephd said:

did oj only do well last year cause brate was hurt or also cause fitz was the qb.

I think it was a little of both. It’s panic time on Howard for me, Waller is my guy until further notice. Maybe Howard will get back on track later in the season. I traded off Andrews and it’s in the voting phase until tomorrow, I kinda wish I could take it back and trade Howard instead. That’s where I am with him right now.

Edited by Godeep

Did you watch OJ play last year before he got hurt? The guy flashed talent that I have never seen in the TE position. Every reception seemed to be taken to the house.

I am guilty of wanting such talent on my team, and not seeing the risk with a new coach. Assumption of rational coaching. Don't regret the choice at all...Did it last year with Kittle and many other times over the years. It is why we play the game!

Brate is a JAG nothing more...maybe more obedient to the coaches being from Harvard and all.

Other NFL teams will see this misuse of Howard's talent as well. Howard will will be brought back into Arain's good graces or he will be traded to a team that appreciates his rare talents. (If I was his agent that is what I would tell the Bucs).

And Arian's player centric, wonderful leadership skills. His comments on Howard assumed no responsibility his coaches inability to inspire/push excellent play from their players. Weak sauce response. We have a saying in leadership, Praise in public and criticize in private.

Edited by mar1kle
  • Like 8
8 hours ago, cs3 said:

Maybe people who drafted OJ in the 5th/6th round didn't bother preparing for the draft?

Har har... Or maybe the fantasy season is more than 2 weeks long? The the consensus Tier 2 TE that's in his 3rd year might do better than he did the first 2 weeks in a brand new offense?

I'm always amused by the panic and toddler attention spans and lack of patience that exists in fantasy football.

For a lot of guys, we get it, you didn't like Howard coming into the year, yup... Doesn't mean people that see it different sell for pennies on the dollar.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, mar1kle said:

Brate is a JAG nothing more...maybe more obedient to the coaches being from Harvard and all.

Cameron Brate signed a 6 year, $40,800,000 contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including $18,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,800,000. In 2019, Brate will earn a base salary of $7,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,000,000 and a dead cap value of $7,000,000.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/cameron-brate-15205/

Pretty sure JAGs don't receive such a huge a-- contract extension.

He is a reliable receiving option for Winston. Face that fact too.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, brrett said:

If Brate is better than tell me why OJ plays 85% of snaps and Brate is at 35%? OJs numbers will get better

Blocking? Did you miss out all of the stats that got people concerned?

9 minutes ago, Szer0 said:

I have to agree, no matter what stats anyone pulls out, it’s concerning to get a 0 from a starter. Overall, sure I don’t think anyone disagrees that Howard is good, and will have better days ahead. But, for fantasy he can cause owners to panic putting up no points, and probably cause a loss that week. I’m not dropping him at this point, but I’m not starting him anymore until he puts up some points. Idc how often he’s on the field, if he’s not catching anything, he isn’t helping fantasy owners.

We all know that Bruce Arians never really uses the tight end position.  "But he's never had an athletic specimen such as OJ Howard before, things will be different" everybody said.  Then we got fooled with all the twitters about how "Every preseason snap that Jameis played, OJ played" observation, so that implied that OJ was going to take over.  And now what has happened?  Jameis sucks like he always has.  Cameron Brate is still there like he always was.  And OJ did as well this week as the original OJ (who is complaining to everyone about his fantasy team, like we care).  What's even more painful is that this fool's owners likely spent a 4th-6th round pick on him, while others were scooping up Mark Andrews, Hock, and probably got Waller for free.  That's fantasy football for you...

17 minutes ago, CooL said:

We all know that Bruce Arians never really uses the tight end position.  "But he's never had an athletic specimen such as OJ Howard before, things will be different" everybody said.  Then we got fooled with all the twitters about how "Every preseason snap that Jameis played, OJ played" observation, so that implied that OJ was going to take over.  And now what has happened?  Jameis sucks like he always has.  Cameron Brate is still there like he always was.  And OJ did as well this week as the original OJ (who is complaining to everyone about his fantasy team, like we care).  What's even more painful is that this fool's owners likely spent a 4th-6th round pick on him, while others were scooping up Mark Andrews, Hock, and probably got Waller for free.  That's fantasy football for you...

OJ took over on snap count. You squares need to stop playing in leagues that dont give a point per snap. 😎

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Szer0 said:

He's only running routes around 2% less then last year per snap. That isn't a big deal by itself.

We have a 2 game sample of him being targeted 7% less. They have run less plays per game so far in comparison to last. The only real big concern is coming the Arias hates TE narrative. Which may be true, but it's also been only 2 games with OJ.

I'm gonna ride or die with OJ for at least the next 2 weeks, but don't feel good about it one bit.  Arians is using him as a blocker/o-lineman more than anything else it seems, trying to force the run game and not let Jamies lose them every game by throwing if he can.  Sucks because Howard has all the talent in the world but this could be the game plan this year, but 2 games is a small sample size.  Targets have to go up but really don't feel great about that.  Because I took OJ in the 6th round (which I thought was getting value in that spot lol), I passed on all the tempting late round TEs like Walker, Waller, Hock who are all owned.  After the Giants and Rams i'll be ready to cut bait if nothing gets better and grab Herndon off the wire when he's off suspension.

• Like 1