NBC Sports Edge Forums

O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

13 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

He is this years Burton, enough potential you f--- yourself all season with him.

[...] 

Next year I'm probably taking a TE extremely late, regardless of how tempting the 5th round flavor of the month TE seems. If you aren't getting Kelce, and to a lesser extent Kittle/Ertz (I dont really care for them at their prices though, only if they slipped in the draft), the difference between a mid round TE and someone you can grab super late or even off waivers is most often minuscule. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Buccaneers hate children.

"Hey OJ, keep dropping those passes. We have them right where we want them. You saw what we did with AB right? We got him off of the Raiders but he had some screws loose. I know you will turn out bett

Tampa should trade OJ Howard to the Chargers for Melvin Gordon.

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, cbsholy said:

I grabbed Burton in the 5th last year and OJ in the 5th this year. Sorry guys.

In all honesty though, next year I'm probably taking a TE extremely late, regardless of how tempting the 5th round flavor of the month TE seems. If you aren't getting Kelce, and to a lesser extent Kittle/Ertz (I dont really care for them at their prices though, only if they slipped in the draft), the difference between a mid round TE and someone you can grab super late or even off waivers is most often minuscule. 

This man is telling the truth.  Why didn't I grab that Andrews/Hock stack I was eying all summer?

47 minutes ago, ginocan said:

Eifert...

He sucks a** too...but at least he didn’t put up ZERO stat line. I didn’t watch the Tampa game much and thought I started an injured OJ. Turned out, it was worse, he might as well as not even dressed up. 

I think its better if he played and helped win, even if it meant blocking. It earns trust with the coach.

5 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

I think its better if he played and helped win, even if it meant blocking. It earns trust with the coach.

For fantasy purposes, I’d have to disagree with you. I mean if he is injured and not playing then I can plug in someone else that can man the TE position. Even if that person gets like 1, 2, 3 points then it will go a long way to help my team. For instance OJ is healthy and starting and I started him and he does absolutely nothing that worth mentioning in fantasy. Then he is worth less than if he is injured and out of the game. 

I see your point. But I am not Bruce Arian and I don’t care how good he is blocking. Where is my fantasy points????

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The best way for Arians to get OJ Howard's confidence up is to make sure Howard scores a TD or 3 this weekend.

Arians doesn't care. He has always viewed TEs as blockers first, blockers second and receivers third. Howard is a great blocker and their OL is garbage. 

Of course we've known all of this info since the day Arians accepted the job. Nothing has changed in these past 8 months.

• Like 1

Full panic mode if he doesn't produce at least 5-50 this week. The NYG's have been terrible against TEs for years and this year is no different.

Keeping an eye on B. Watson who is off everyone's radar right now and is due back week 5 for NE. He's my break glass in case of emergency TE.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Arians doesn't care. He has always viewed TEs as blockers first, blockers second and receivers third. Howard is a great blocker and their OL is garbage. 

Of course we've known all of this info since the day Arians accepted the job. Nothing has changed in these past 8 months.

Heath Miller was consistently the #3 option in Pittsburgh behind Ward/Holmes/Wallace/AB depending which season and was a solid fantssy TE -- Heath Miller... But don't let facts get in the way of you having an opinion.

• Like 1

I like that quote in the article to paraphrase..."The ( opposing) defense dictates who gets thrown the ball ". I need to remember this when I evaluate players who are not getting targets. If Godwin is one on one and they have safety help over howard, of course you go to Godwin which is why his numbers are huge. Once defenses switch, Howard will get open or Godwin will be one on one always

8 hours ago, ginocan said:

For fantasy purposes, I’d have to disagree with you. I mean if he is injured and not playing then I can plug in someone else that can man the TE position. Even if that person gets like 1, 2, 3 points then it will go a long way to help my team. For instance OJ is healthy and starting and I started him and he does absolutely nothing that worth mentioning in fantasy. Then he is worth less than if he is injured and out of the game. 

I see your point. But I am not Bruce Arian and I don’t care how good he is blocking. Where is my fantasy points????

Im looking for any positives after a goose egg 🤣

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Heath Miller was consistently the #3 option in Pittsburgh behind Ward/Holmes/Wallace/AB depending which season and was a solid fantssy TE -- Heath Miller... But don't let facts get in the way of you having an opinion.

Arians and Miller were only together from 2007-2011. Averaging 600 yards and 4 touchdowns isn't anything to write home about. Especially when you factor in ADP. You're expecting closer to 1000 and 8 tds when taking a guy in the 5th/6th round. Miller and his production was fine in the 12 or 13th round.

Take a look at what his TEs did during his time in Arizona from 2012-2017, something more relevant than his time with Pittsburgh a decade ago. Don't waste your time looking because there's nothing. 

Arians loves to air it out, people see how talented Howard is, and thus decided to ignore past tendencies expecting things to change for some reason. Arians has never featured his TE. That's pretty obvious to see.

• Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Arians and Miller were only together from 2007-2011. Averaging 600 yards and 4 touchdowns isn't anything to write home about. Especially when you factor in ADP. You're expecting closer to 1000 and 8 tds when taking a guy in the 5th/6th round. Miller and his production was fine in the 12 or 13th round.

Take a look at what his TEs did during his time in Arizona from 2012-2017, something more relevant than his time with Pittsburgh a decade ago. Don't waste your time looking because there's nothing. 

Arians loves to air it out, people see how talented Howard is, and thus decided to ignore past tendencies expecting things to change for some reason. Arians has never featured his TE. That's pretty obvious to see.

I think OJ is a better receiving threat than previous arians Tes

4 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Uh, didn't he mostly turn in 500/2 with Arians? I think he had one "solid" year and one okay year, with the rest being forgettable.

18 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Still only 2 games into the season. Not panic mode yet 

Who said anyone had to panic?

You can make the perfectly rational decision to make a move for another TE who's not completely useless.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
53 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Who said anyone had to panic?

You can make the perfectly rational decision to make a move for another TE who's not completely useless.

Id rather hold than sell. That would be a dumb move. What would you get for him now? 

6 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Full panic mode if he doesn't produce at least 5-50 this week. The NYG's have been terrible against TEs for years and this year is no different.

Keeping an eye on B. Watson who is off everyone's radar right now and is due back week 5 for NE. He's my break glass in case of emergency TE.

This right here