NBC Sports EDGE Forums

O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

Flyman75

23 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

I'd say that's pretty good when your trying to pick tight end sleepers. Better than me atleast. I drafted sorry a** trey burton last year. Do you get good tight ends every year? If ya do what's your secret?

Across all my leagues, at least one of my team's has a good TE most years. 95%? If you chose one sleeper TE each year and hit 60% of the time, that is impressive.  

31 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

No secret really, you just have to analyze the TE situations outside the top 8 or so.  Talented guys whose situation has improved in some way.  I have certainly whiffed on some TEs, too.  Dwayne Allen in his last year on the Colts, Fleener in his first year with the Saints, Julius Thomas in any season without Peyton Manning were some of my legendary misses.  And avoid the Delanie Walkers, Jason Wittens, and Charles Clays of the world like the plague.

I'm in 1 die hard league. In order to be in the league you cant be in any others. Makes everyone go 110% in the off season. It's why I'm on here. Looking for every advantage I can get so thanks. I'll add eifert and jimmy Graham to the list of "plague" TEs too

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

No secret really, you just have to analyze the TE situations outside the top 8 or so.  Talented guys whose situation has improved in some way.  I have certainly whiffed on some TEs, too.  Dwayne Allen in his last year on the Colts, Fleener in his first year with the Saints, Julius Thomas in any season without Peyton Manning were some of my legendary misses.  And avoid the Delanie Walkers, Jason Wittens, and Charles Clays of the world like the plague.

So no different than any other position in fantasy football?  Word.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

So no different than any other position in fantasy football?  Word.

Well I am better at picking breakout sleepers at TE than I am at picking those at other positions.

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well I am better at picking breakout sleepers at TE than I am at picking those at other positions.

I have to admit, identifying the likes of Jordan Reed, Travis Kelce, Zach Ertz as potential “breakout candidates” is very impressive, indeed. The rest of us were all like, “WHO??????”

Edited by Lamont Sanford

6 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

So, given your track record, you’re still not picking O’Terrius Jabari?

10 hours ago, BMcP said:

his full name is O'Terrius Jabari? that's awesome! he's just moved up a full round in my notebook.

and i'm adding him to my favorite named players list along with

Ha-Sean Treshon “Ha-Ha” Clinton-Dix

Key’vantanie “Keke” Coutee

Equanimeous Tristan Imhoptep J. St. Brown

and

Tevita “Vita” Tuliakiono Tuipuloto Mosese Va’hae Faletau Vea

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

his full name is O'Terrius Jabari? that's awesome! he's just moved up a full round in my notebook.

and

I’m fairly sure Equanimeous’s dad is an Egyptologist.  His brother, I believe, also has a cool name.  Maybe it’s Imhotep?

15 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I have to admit, identifying the likes of Jordan Reed, Travis Kelce, Zach Ertz as potential “breakout candidates” is very impressive, indeed. The rest of us were all like, “WHO??????”

Sarcasm detected.  Those guys are household names now, but at the time I picked them, they were late round flyers.  At least they were in my league.  That's kind of the point--get on the bus at the bottom of the hill before it goes screaming up the mountain.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BMcP said:

I love that that is his real name.  But no, I am not sensing an OJ Howard breakout in 2019.  Nothing to do with the player, everything to do with his surroundings.

17 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I’m fairly sure Equanimeous’s dad is an Egyptologist.  His brother, I believe, also has a cool name.  Maybe it’s Imhotep?

his father, John Brown, was an extreme bodybuilder, three times Mr. World, and two times Mr. Universe. but the other boys are named Osiris and Amon-Ra... rather than Egyptology, it might simply be aggrandizing and/or great expectations -----"the St. Brown Football Family & quest for NFL greatness

": https://www.foxsports.com/west/story/equanimeous-osiris-amon-ra-st-brown-real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel-012818

7jmvKXiisyAqWv5YMUPwNs1E7FkH-LatuOU_SlLG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

No is dad is kinda a dope. Hes kinda like lavar ball. Atleast that's what I gathered when I followed equanimious when he played for my fighting irish in college. I believe he has his kids push his own protein powders and workout supplements just like lavar. 

Edited by Stonej14
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

and

Check out the full name of the Texans kicker when you get a chance

28 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

No is dad is kinda a dope. Hes kinda like lavar ball. Atleast that's what I gathered when I followed equanimious when he played for my fighting irish in college. I believe he has his kids push his own protein powders and workout supplements just like lavar. 

There is an article on the internet comparing them to the Balls, I'm too lazy to find it.

47 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

locallegendsbrown.jpg

you'd better hope he's not reading this thread and looking for YOU

straight outta compton: https://lasentinel.net/local-legend-john-brown.html

apparently he pushed his kids continually with weight training

Edited by Sack Exchange
  • Haha 2

Big muscles for show don't do much good on an NFL football field.  Mark Schlereth has some hilarious stories about work-out warriors who were actually horrible at playing football.

OJ Howard is not that type.  He actually knows how to play the game of football very, very well.  If only he were on a team that places more value on passes thrown to the TE position...

Winston, Evans and Howard Get Extra Workouts at Texas A&M Before Phase I of the Bucs Offseason Program Begins

“For two days Evans and O.J. Howard worked out at Texas A&M facilities with quarterback Jameis Winston, who was actually the architect of the training session.”

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/winston-evans-and-howard-get-extra-workouts-at-texas-a-m-before-phase-i-of-the-b

Not huge news or anything, just thought it was somewhat interesting that Cameron Brate was not present for this training session organized by Winston. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Winston, Evans and Howard Get Extra Workouts at Texas A&M Before Phase I of the Bucs Offseason Program Begins

“For two days Evans and O.J. Howard worked out at Texas A&M facilities with quarterback Jameis Winston, who was actually the architect of the training session.”

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/winston-evans-and-howard-get-extra-workouts-at-texas-a-m-before-phase-i-of-the-b

Not huge news or anything, just thought it was somewhat interesting that Cameron Brate was not present for this training session organized by Winston. 

Obviously it means the Chemistry with Brate is already at its peak.  Special telepathy, special connection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Or...it could be Brate is still recovering from hip labrum surgery and not currently able to participate in workouts?

57 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Or...it could be Brate is still recovering from hip labrum surgery and not currently able to participate in workouts?

Oof. That’s a tough injury to recover from. At age 27/28 it could be pretty damaging to his career outlook. He’ll be lucky to have the same athleticism he once had and will likely regress from the 30 balls he caught last year. OJ’s outlook is on the up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

Oof. That’s a tough injury to recover from. At age 27/28 it could be pretty damaging to his career outlook. He’ll be lucky to have the same athleticism he once had and will likely regress from the 30 balls he caught last year. OJ’s outlook is on the up.

LOL. 

I know you’re being intentionally comical, but surely you have to give him credit for how well he did in 2018 playing through a torn labrum nearly all season.  It also sheds light on why Brate went on a TD-scoring streak early only to fade thereafter. 

9 hours ago, BMcP said:

LOL. 

I know you’re being intentionally comical, but surely you have to give him credit for how well he did in 2018 playing through a torn labrum nearly all season.  It also sheds light on why Brate went on a TD-scoring streak early only to fade thereafter. 

B--you forgot, Cameron Brate is totally irrelevant to any discussion of OJ Howard.  It's not like Brate plays the exact same position, makes more money, and gobbles up valuable end zone looks or anything.  Fantasy players must always be evaluated by their mad skillz, in a total vacuum.  Just ask Christine Michael! 

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

B--you forgot, Cameron Brate is totally irrelevant to any discussion of OJ Howard.  It's not like Brate plays the exact same position, makes more money, and gobbles up valuable end zone looks or anything.  Fantasy players must always be evaluated by their mad skillz, in a total vacuum.  Just ask Christine Michael! 

Don't bring CMike into this.