NBC Sports Edge Forums

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's ironic that after months of discussing, debating McCoy, Dam. Williams, Dar. Williams, and Thompson that the most valuable Chiefs RB turned out to be Hyde.

If McCoy comes to chiefs and pushes Williams out, I am not drafting next year until about 20 minutes before the season begins 

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Stallion said:

Bingo, I think that McCoy was brought in as an insurance policy in case Williams goes down, due to his familiarity with an Andy Reid offense.

Reid has come out and talked about them being co-starters. Looks like the "it'll be a full blown rbbc" crowd was right.

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Ryan said:

"That 62 yard catch and run by Williams in the 3rd preseason game was more impressive than anything Shady has done in 3 years."

The play you've mentioned twice now is the product of play design & not nearly as much to do to with Damien Williams. This is a 4-wide set with Mahomes in the gun & Williams flanked to his left. Off the snap Williams breaks left on a wheel route. The outside WR & TE to that same side both run routes that break inside to create a coverage vacuum in the short zone for Williams to exploit a DE (#94) in a one-on-one. This DE (Solomon Thomas) is in a 2-pt stance, not unlike a 3-4 OLB, but completely out of his element. Typically, the DE is no match for any receiver & initially gets caught up trying to clear the TE. He then tries to recover by taking a flat angle to the perimeter that completely takes himself out of the play! You've heard the expression perhaps, when you're even you're leavin'. Yeah, Williams is leaving this guy at the LOS. ha-ha. The ball is placed perfectly, hitting Williams right in stride. The only other defender who has a chance is the single-high safety who didn't impress with his recognition, pursuit angle, ability to break stride & come under control to make the tackle. With him, it's fair to argue that with that much space & up to speed, any NFL RB should make that guy miss. Carlos Hyde would've scored on this play, LeSean McCoy would've as well.     

https://www.chiefs.com/video/damien-williams-leaves-49ers-in-the-dust-on-62-yard-touchdown 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
54 minutes ago, Sgt. Ryan said:

Btw, I tried to pry Williams from the owner in my redraft and the guy laughed at me when I mentioned Shady McCoy could steal the job.  Im trying to buy everywhere, but Williams owners aren’t selling. 

I don't blame them. I've done a bunch of best ball drafts and he was going mostly in the early 2nd (I have zero shares of him). So it wouldn't be a smart for owner who took then in standard leagues to then bail on him based on sheer speculation from some that McCoy will take over. 

2 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Oh come on.  Let me quote Reid from the presser - ""We're lucky to have Damien here, who we consider a starter...as we do Shady".  That's verbatim what Reid said.

Stop with the misleading information please.  Reid clearly did not commit to Damien.  The press asked Reid later if Shady would play against the Jags and he said, basically "we'll see", depending on how quickly Shady learns the playbook.  The gist of everything he said is "we'll see what happens after Shady learns the playbook" and wouldn't commit to anything else.

This is hardly a ringing endorsement that Damien is the guy in the backfield.  Damien has the edge short term, but to imply that it is going to be Damien's backfield long term is completely misleading.

Watch the presser again.

You keep on telling yourself whatever you need to, boss.  Damien is the starter. Shady is his backup.  Darwin is not even a factor.   If you think Damien's not capable of holding off a 31 year old who can't even beat out a rookie and old man Gore in Buffalo....  that's on you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Sgt. Ryan said:

Kamara couldn’t see the field at Alabama over drake, Derrick Henry and TJ Yeldon.  But he was perfect in Sean Payton’s system in New Orleans. Williams didn’t see the field much in Miami, but he is perfect for Andy Reids system now.  Fast, elusive, and decisive.  None of which Shady is anymore.  

The sample size doesn’t matter to me. The fit and opportunity do.  Williams is a perfect fit and Reid is going to give him the opportunity.  

Kamara went to Tennessee.....

26 minutes ago, jonasdash said:

You keep on telling yourself whatever you need to, boss.  Damien is the starter. Shady is his backup.  Darwin is not even a factor.   If you think Damien's not capable of holding off a 31 year old who can't even beat out a rookie and old man Gore in Buffalo....  that's on you. 

I'm not telling myself anything.  I'm telling you what Reid said in his presser and calling you out for misrepresenting it.

Reid made it clear that he thinks both guys are starters.  That's straight from his mouth.  He also did not commit to anything other than waiting for Shady to learn the playbook and "taking it from there".  Absolutely zero indication from Reid that Damian is the long term starter.

For you to write a post implying that Reid has given the job to Damien is irresponsible and it will make readers of this board make misinformed decisions.

Damien being at the top of the depth chart is completely expected, based on what Reid said.  He told us Shady needs to learn the playbook.  It means nothing for the balance of the season.

Edited by Brownsfan74
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, jonasdash said:

there is a list of guys williams couldnt beat out in miami and take over 

you mention gore whats kinda funny is didnt miami let williams go and sign gore ? 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Sgt. Ryan said:

Btw, I tried to pry Williams from the owner in my redraft and the guy laughed at me when I mentioned Shady McCoy could steal the job.  Im trying to buy everywhere, but Williams owners aren’t selling. 

Its just the opposite in my main league. The Williams owner is desperately trying to trade him. Only thing is, he’s asking way too much. He’s basically gone around the league and paired Williams with a WR3 and has sent trade offers to everyone with a top 5 WR (in my case, Hopkins) gunning for a top end WR. No thanks.

As far as how this all shakes out, who knows? Andy Reid has typically always had a workhorse RB that has seen the majority of the work: Brian Westbrook, LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Kareem Hunt, etc. so I don’t see that changing any time soon. As far as who ends up being the workhorse, I have no idea. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, Dislimb said:

Its just the opposite in my main league. The Williams owner is desperately trying to trade him.

I'm gonna guess they are a continual league loser that usually finishes just outside of the playoff cutoff and blames bad luck. They consistently drop players they drafted after week 1 or 2 when they don't immediately blow up, only to have them become great in another 2 weeks and then he looks like a fool. They probably also fancies themself quite the fantasy expert and has an overly aggressive drafting strategy (hyper stars and scrubs in auction or top TE top QB in early rounds in snake draft)   

How'd I do on profiling them?

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

Its just the opposite in my main league. The Williams owner is desperately trying to trade him. Only thing is, he’s asking way too much. He’s basically gone around the league and paired Williams with a WR3 and has sent trade offers to everyone with a top 5 WR (in my case, Hopkins) gunning for a top end WR. No thanks.

As far as how this all shakes out, who knows? Andy Reid has typically always had a workhorse RB that has seen the majority of the work: Brian Westbrook, LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Kareem Hunt, etc. so I don’t see that changing any time soon. As far as who ends up being the workhorse, I have no idea. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think this is the year Reid actually commits to a RBBC much like he had during the Westbrook and Staley years. He will get the most out of Williams and McCoy combo. When Williams was balling last year he was basically doing it with just 15 touches per game. 

• Like 3

I ended up buying Williams back in our auction for $5 and I took McCoy in the 9th round just in case. If they do split carries (which I highly doubt because Reid never uses a RBBC) I can always start both. If McCoy overtakes Williams, I got that covered. 

Just now, Dexter75 said:

I ended up buying Williams back in our auction for $5 and I took McCoy in the 9th round just in case. If they do split carries (which I highly doubt because Reid never uses a RBBC) I can always start both. If McCoy overtakes Williams, I got that covered. 

Reid never using a committee is absolutely false. He once ran a three headed monster that ran through the league in Westbrook, Staley, and Buckhalter. 

1 minute ago, jonasdash said:

bUT oNLy fOr tHiS gAmE!  shAdY iS tHe rEaL StArTEr, YoU jUsT DonT gEt iT mAn!!

You're being ridiculous.  I haven't read here that anyone is 100% sure it is Shady's job.  I haven't said that.  What people are saying is that it is not necessarily Damien's either, at this point.

If people want to stick their heads in the sand and not recognize that even the coach of KC does not know how it's going to shake out (as he stated in his presser), then that's your problem.  I just want the correct facts out there.  It's annoying to read a post saying "Hey, Reid is giving the job to Damian" and then watching the actual presser and realizing this is not true at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Brownsfan74 said:

You're being ridiculous.  I haven't read here that anyone is 100% sure it is Shady's job.  I haven't said that.  What people are saying is that it is not necessarily Damien's either, at this point.

If people want to stick their heads in the sand and not recognize that even the coach of KC does not know how it's going to shake out (as he stated in his presser), then that's your problem.  I just want the correct facts out there.  It's annoying to read a post saying "Hey, Reid is giving the job to Damian" and then watching the actual presser and realizing this is not true at all.

He’s listed as the starter on the team’s website. That’s enough for me.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I watched the presser and in that presser he clearly states to Shady that Damien is a really good football player and pulled no punches. It's also clear in the short term that Williams is the #1 back until at very least McCoy can pick up the offense and blocking schemes. He specifically stated he's not going to put shady in a position to fail without him knowing the playbook and that they are running different things from the Philly days. Now if Williams does not play well and leaves the door open for Shady then last year was clearly a fluke and I can live with that. From that same presser i clearly gather that Williams is the #1 running back on this team and that Shady knows this coming in but Shady knows he has a chance to win a championship and will do whatever Reid says. As of now Williams is #1 on the depth chart and taking the first carry versus Jacksonville. McCoy will play this year for sure and he will play plenty but it's going to be coming off the bench behind Williams until Williams dictates a change needs to be made. In the mean time McCoy truthers can continue to wishcast and hope traffic.

Edited by bigbluecrew56
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, jonasdash said:

It wasn’t the fact that shady couldn’t “hold em off” it was more like 6 million reasons in cap space.

13 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Reid never using a committee is absolutely false. He once ran a three headed monster that ran through the league in Westbrook, Staley, and Buckhalter. 

Did you look at that 2003 roster?  The wide receivers and tight ends weren't used much, and all 3 RBs were between 24 and 28 years old.  It's almost the exact opposite of the current Chiefs team.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wekko368 said:

Did you look at that 2003 roster?  The wide receivers and tight ends weren't used much, and all 3 RBs were between 24 and 28 years old.  It's almost the exact opposite of the current Chiefs team.

He's been talking about going committee since the beginning of camp. I'm fully expecting him to deploy Williams and McCoy plenty. They wanted Hyde to work out but he just did not have the pass catching chops to fit in.

1 minute ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

He's been talking about going committee since the beginning of camp. I'm fully expecting him to deploy Williams and McCoy plenty. They wanted Hyde to work out but he just did not have the pass catching chops to fit in.

This is true - can't wait to find out on Thurs that it's actually Nagy committing to a bellcow :)

• Haha 1