NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

Joe Odam

McCoy has been battling minor injuries repeatedly over the past few years. It didn't impact his effectiveness until last year. 

Is he injury prone? Yes but which RB isn't? Williams himself has now gotten hurt twice this season and it is only Week 3.

Does McCoy run away with it? It's definitely possible but by no means a certainty. Let's see what happens.

Edited by Ace_King
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dexter75 said:

Thats exactly what will happen. I said in the McCoy thread that he’s 31 and coming off 5 injuries last year and would be hurt again by week 4. Everyone laughed and laughed. Not so funny now. Father Time is undefeated and RBs don’t get better as they get older. What you saw from McCoy last year is what he is now. This isn’t 2012 any longer. 

And they are still laughing at your statement because Williams is already missing games while "injury prone" shady is still going to limp out there. 

As an owner of both (6th round for williams)I wish they'd figure it out but neither one has been able to establish themselves and it's likely they lower shady touches so it'll still be a timeshare when William's returns

6 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

Williams is about to get Wally Pipped.

6 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Since Damien Williams left the game last Sunday, missed every practice this week, was declared "out" pretty early, and apparently was having trouble walking when spotted by reporters, can we surmise that he may be hurt a bit worse than was initially announced?  I am thinking he will be a question mark, potentially, going forward after this weekend.

20 hours ago, Deke said:

Unfortunately this is probably where Williams loses his starting job. 

I drafted him pre-McCoy and also drafted Thompson which I feel good about. I don’t think McCoy holds up. 

rzMRq6v.gif

54 minutes ago, Guwop said:

And they are still laughing at your statement because Williams is already missing games while "injury prone" shady is still going to limp out there. 

As an owner of both (6th round for williams)I wish they'd figure it out but neither one has been able to establish themselves and it's likely they lower shady touches

so it'll still be a timeshare when William's returns

☝️☝️☝️

1 hour ago, this guy right here said:

You mean HOF running back Curtis Martin? A RB who missed zero games due to injury in his career allowing him to put up elite numbers at an older age?

I'll admit that I'm biased and want McCoy to succeed, but there are some examples of 30+ RB's having successful seasons: 

Curtis Martin (30) - 1,308 yards rushing

Curtis Martin (31) - 1,697 yards rushing

Tiki Barber (30) - 1,860 yards rushing

Tiki Barber (31) - 1,662 yards rushing

Walter Payton (30) - 1,684 yards rushing

Walter Payton (31) - 1,551 yards rushing

Walter Payton (32) - 1,333 yards rushing

Barry Sanders (30) - 1,491 yards rushing

Warrick Dunn (30) - 1,416 yards rushing

Warrick Dunn (31) - 1,140 yards rushing

Thomas Jones (30) - 1,312 yards rushing

Thomas Jones (31) - 1,402 yards rushing

Emmitt Smith (30) - 1,397 yards rushing

Emmitt Smith (31) - 1,203 yards rushing

Emmitt Smith (32) - 1,021 yards rushing

John Riggins (30) - 1,153 yards rushing

John Riggins (30) - 1,347 yards rushing

John Riggins (30) - 1,239 yards rushing

Adrian Peterson (30) - 1,485 yards rushing

Adrian Peterson (33) - 1,042 yards rushing

Frank Gore (30) - 1,128 yards rushing

Frank Gore (31) - 1,106 yards rushing

Frank Gore (32) - 1,025 yards rushing

Priest Holmes (30) - 1,420 yards rushing

Corey Dillion (30) - 1,635 yards rushing

Ricky Williams (31) - 1,121 yards rushing

Ricky Watters (30) - 1,210 yards rushing

Ricky Watters (31) - 1,242 yards rushing

Eddie George (30) - 1,031 yards rushing

Fred Taylor (30) - 1,146 yards rushing

Fred Taylor (31) - 1,202 yards rushing

There's obviously the argument that most of those guys are HOF'ers, but as a counter LeSean is either ahead of, or within <700 career rushing yards of 9/16 of these guys.

To be fair and give a point to #TeamDamien, while the above shows that it's not impossible to have a 1,000+ yard year over 30, there's an order of magnitude more examples of 30+ seasons that were <1,000 yards, so I'd still view Williams as a definite hold right now.

Edited by vercrazy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, vercrazy said:

I'll admit that I'm biased and want McCoy to succeed, but there are some examples of 30+ RB's having successful seasons: 

There's obviously the argument that most of those guys are HOF'ers, but as a counter LeSean is either ahead of, or within <700 career rushing yards of 9/16 of these guys.

To be fair and give a point to #TeamDamien, while the above shows that it's not impossible to have a 1,000+ yard year over 30, there's an order of magnitude more examples of 30+ seasons that were <1,000 yards, so I'd still view Williams as a definite hold right now.

The most impressive stat here is how John Riggins did not chronologically age. I would like to know how he did it. 

• Haha 7

52 minutes ago, vercrazy said:

These are all HOF players but so is McCoy.

Damien started both games, I’m confused. I think people are missing the writing on the wall with both Shady and Damien, they’re a RBBC, all year, unless injury. When the injured one returns, back to usual split. Reid said he was doing it, and did it for both games before injury’s.

• Like 3

Damien is a career backup who got to start due to injuries last season, KC probably thought DWill was taking the next step and could be the man but then realized he was not a bellcow and have been moving the pieces around the board and now they probably see DWill as the 3rd down and hurry up back. So I conclude by saying you have already seen the best of him and grab someone whom you deem as a HR hitter or someone who has been rage dropped. Maybe trade him to the McCoy owner, though unlikely they bite because they probably already picked up Thompson. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Godeep said:

Damien started both games, I’m confused. I think people are missing the writing on the wall with both Shady and Damien, they’re a RBBC, all year, unless injury. When the injured one returns, back to usual split. Reid said he was doing it, and did it for both games before injury’s.

Please post a link to where Reid said he was going to go with an RBBC this year.  I have watched many of the Chiefs pressers and have yet to hear him say this.

He has commented on RBBC and said he has used it successfully in the past, but I havent heard him commit to it for 2019.

Not trying to call you out but if he has, then this is very important info for us to value Williams and McCoy.

All I have heard Reid say is "we'll see after Shady learns the playbook" regarding the usage of his backfield.

1 hour ago, Krambone said:

Damien is a career backup who got to start due to injuries last season, KC probably thought DWill was taking the next step and could be the man but then realized he was not a bellcow and have been moving the pieces around the board and now they probably see DWill as the 3rd down and hurry up back. So I conclude by saying you have already seen the best of him and grab someone whom you deem as a HR hitter or someone who has been rage dropped. Maybe trade him to the McCoy owner, though unlikely they bite because they probably already picked up Thompson. 

Reid knows RBs. I doubt he thought for even one second that Damien Williams was some bell cow back lol. He was left with no choice but to roll with him end of last year after Hunt got the boot (pun intended) and Ware got hurt. If he thought Willams was some kind of bell cow, he wouldn't have 3 other RBs on the roster and say he was going to play a RBBC this year. None of these guys are anywhere near Hunt's level and with Mahomes on the epic roll he is, there is zero need for a bell cow back in KC. They have become a pass first offense. 

6 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Please post a link to where Reid said he was going to go with an RBBC this year.  I have watched many of the Chiefs pressers and have yet to hear him say this.

He has commented on RBBC and said he has used it successfully in the past, but I havent heard him commit to it for 2019.

Not trying to call you out but if he has, then this is very important info for us to value Williams and McCoy.

All I have heard Reid say is "we'll see after Shady learns the playbook" regarding the usage of his backfield.

Really? 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/8/9/20798069/andy-reid-confirms-chiefs-will-be-implementing-running-back-by-committee

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Reid knows RBs. I doubt he thought for even one second that Damien Williams was some bell cow back lol. He was left with no choice but to roll with him end of last year after Hunt got the boot (pun intended) and Ware got hurt. If he thought Willams was some kind of bell cow, he wouldn't have 3 other RBs on the roster and say he was going to play a RBBC this year. None of these guys are anywhere near Hunt's level and with Mahomes on the epic roll he is, there is zero need for a bell cow back in KC. They have become a pass first offense. 

Really? 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/8/9/20798069/andy-reid-confirms-chiefs-will-be-implementing-running-back-by-committee

⬆️ Right there. Lol, ty @Dexter75

He talked about it when he told Damien about adding Shady, it was reported he told Damien, look RBs get beat up and worn down, this will help stay fresh. Can’t exactly take that any other way either. The end of the report was Damien saying he’s fine with it and understands. It’s been the % people have been arguing about. Or I guess I thought they were. And, the thought that the hot hand would take over higher %. 

Edited by Godeep

12 minutes ago, Born Sinner said:

Does anyone know the severity of his injury and how long he'll be out?

A bone bruise, or contusion, is an injury to your bone that is not a fracture.

Examples in the NFL, include Ben Roethlsberger, who missed four weeks in 2015, and Dez Bryant, who missed three weeks in 2016.

My guess is from 3 weeks to 6 weeks. If it was longer, they'd probably IR him. 

Edited by Itachi_is_the_goat

36 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

That was on August 9th, before they got McCoy.  If anything that was a cut on Williams.  Anything post-McCoy acquisition where he committed to a timeshare between McCoy and Williams?

Again, after they got McCoy, he hasn't committed to anything other than deciding after McCoy learned the offense. 

Edited by Brownsfan74
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

A bone bruise, or contusion, is an injury to your bone that is not a fracture.

Examples in the NFL, include Ben Roethlsberger, who missed four weeks in 2015, and Dez Bryant, who missed three weeks in 2016.

My guess is from 3 weeks to 6 weeks. If it was longer, they'd probably IR him. 

If William's has a bone bruise, he will be out for weeks, and it certainly sounds like he has a significant injury.