NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

Joe Odam

2 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I don't really get this with the "McCoy is injury prone" stuff.

- Of 163 possible games in his career, McCoy has played 150 of them.

- In the last 4 years (including this year) when he is "old", he has played 48 out of a possible 51 games.

If anything, McCoy has shown he is very durable for a RB.  He does get dinged up (as he is now), but the guy plays through it.  I imagine there are some RBs who would not have suited up this weekend, but he did and got 20 points.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, matthew berry said:

Or stay in the chamber til all the other RBs are all banged up and come back 100% mid-late season.  Fantasy football is a marathon not a sprint.  

Just make sure he wears the proper footgear when he's in there, lack of doing so is related to at least 1 recorded case of clinical insanity.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, WaiverLooter said:

If McCoy is injury prone, then by all standards of metric, all RBs are injury prone. Shining example 1: Damien Williams

Great point. What RB doesn't get nicked up? Looking at the ones I have on my fantasy teams:

McCoy, Williams, Barkley, Mixon, Ingram, Conner have all gotten hurt after only 3 games.

K. Johnson, Gurley have not gotten hurt but both did last year.

Chubb, Hyde, Miles Sanders haven't but they are the exceptions that prove the rule. Hyde has had his share during his career. Chubb has played only half a season and Sanders only 3 games.

Essentially, unless you are Zeke or Kamara you will get hurt. That's why RB depth is vital. Often they can play through it but often they cannot.

4 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I don't really get this with the "McCoy is injury prone" stuff.

- Of 163 possible games in his career, McCoy has played 150 of them.

- In the last 4 years (including this year) when he is "old", he has played 48 out of a possible 51 games.

If anything, McCoy has shown he is very durable for a RB.  He does get dinged up (as he is now), but the guy plays through it.  I imagine there are some RBs who would not have suited up this weekend, but he did and got 20 points.

You don’t have to miss games to be injury prone. You can play at less than 100% and not be effective, like McCoy has done recently. Also, he’s gotten hurt 2 out of 3 games, so there’s that. 

4 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Great point. What RB doesn't get nicked up? Looking at the ones I have on my fantasy teams:

McCoy, Williams, Barkley, Mixon, Ingram, Conner have all gotten hurt after only 3 games.

K. Johnson, Gurley have not gotten hurt but both did last year.

Chubb, Hyde, Miles Sanders haven't but they are the exceptions that prove the rule. Hyde has had his share during his career. Chubb has played only half a season and Sanders only 3 games.

Essentially, unless you are Zeke or Kamara you will get hurt. That's why RB depth is vital. Often they can play through it but often they cannot.

This....is why you cuff your running backs.

Think about how much FAAB you're going to blow today if you own Saquon and didn't have Gallman on your bench.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Think about how much FAAB you're going to blow today if you own Saquon and didn't have Gallman on your bench.

Yeah and people should use the quality of the cuff as a tiebreaker where two RBs are close. Gio and Samuels have proven to be strong plays when starting, for example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I wouldn't bother to handcuff a preternatural talent like Barkley.  His backup is going to give you just a fraction of what he gave you.  You are drafting Barkley for talent, not role.

If you draft a JAG for role alone, by all means, handcuff, especially with players with actual talent if such cuffs are available.  

Edited by KennyWoo
Felt like things have been getting 'too real' lately
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Gallman went for $70 last night in my league.  The guy who has Saquon didn't have enough FAAB to get him.

In fairness, it remains to be seen if this was a good pickup, especially with the Giants working out other players.

18 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

It depends on the cuff. Cuff Dalvin and Zeke? Yes. They actually have RB1 potential backups in waiting. Cuff a stud RB with a JAG? No. It's a waste of a roster spot. I own Saquon and wasn't interested one bit in Gallman then or now.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Klientel said:

Any news on his knee? 

Im hoping he sits another game. I really hate that I wasted my 3rd round pick on this dude but I really need McCoy to take over this backfield and establish defined roles. This split is terrible for everyone.  

Darrel* taking over the backfield

32 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Unless your bench and league are super deep to the point that you don’t need the roster spot and there’s nothing on the wire, then I’d feel comfortable dropping him. I don’t think he’s getting his job back.

I'm pretty low on this guy but I wouldn't go that far.  He could still have a relevant role in PPR and McCoy has some injury concerns.  But the arrow is certainly pointing down here and a coffin should probably at least be requisitioned.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Unless your bench and league are super deep to the point that you don’t need the roster spot and there’s nothing on the wire, then

I’d feel comfortable dropping him.

I don’t think he’s getting his job back.

🤔

🤔

🤔

🙄

😂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

I'm pretty low on this guy but I wouldn't go that far.  He could still have a relevant role in PPR and McCoy has some injury concerns.  But the arrow is certainly pointing down here and a coffin should probably at least be requisitioned.

Yeah, he'll have some kind of role behind McCoy and Darrel Williams, but it won't be much or enough to where you'd consider starting him.  I think he will need injuries to both McCoy and Darrel Williams to still be useful (hence the part of my comment that you might keep him if you have a deep bench and are in a deep league).  Darrel showed us last week that he does just fine on passing downs, and I think the Chiefs actually like him more than Damien.  Plus reading the tea leaves, it sounds like Damien is likely going to miss several more weeks.  I think Reid wants Shady as his starting RB, that's been his plan ever since he signed him, and Darrel can mix in to give McCoy a breather for change-of-pace and some passing downs.  But the dream of Damien ever being a bellcow in this offense is officially dead IMHO.

1 minute ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Yeah, he'll have some kind of role behind McCoy and Darrel Williams, but it won't be much or enough to where you'd consider starting him.  I think he will need injuries to both McCoy and Darrel Williams to still be useful (hence the part of my comment that you might keep him if you have a deep bench and are in a deep league).  Darrel showed us last week that he does just fine on passing downs,

⁉️and I think the Chiefs actually like him more than Damien.  ⁉️

Plus reading the tea leaves, it sounds like Damien is likely going to miss several more weeks.  I think Reid wants Shady as his starting RB, that's been his plan ever since he signed him, and Darrel can mix in to give McCoy a breather for change-of-pace and some passing downs.  But the dream of Damien ever being a bellcow in this offense is officially dead IMHO.

⁉️ 🙄

“I did a little bit of that when I was in Philadelphia, a kind of running back-by-committee deal and we had some success with it.” Reid said during an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio.

“We’ll do that here (in Kansas City).

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 11:19 AM, atdharris said:

I'd say Darrell Williams is the biggest threat, not McCoy. I don't think anyone should expect Shady to be healthy for the entire season. It's clear Reid doesn't really trust Darwin. If Damien practices and plays this week, I think he is still a decent RB2 in PPR. 

Funny, the guy who's actually playing games is injury prone while the guy who's watching them because of injury is the threat.  Williams not only got hurt first but he's practiced less. The same Williams the HC got irritate with this offseason because of his inability to get healthy and get on the field.  There is an injury prone player in that Chiefs backfield and it isn't the guy who's practicing and playing in the games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kevinwayne20 said:

Funny, the guy who's actually playing games is injury prone while the guy who's watching them because of injury is the threat.  Williams not only got hurt first but he's practiced less. The same Williams the HC got irritate with this offseason because of his inability to get healthy and get on the field.  There is an injury prone player in that Chiefs backfield and it isn't the guy who's practicing and playing in the games.

You’re just making up narratives to suit your bias.   As far as we know McCoy and DW are the leaders of this backfield.   While one is out, Darrell is a nice play.   Too early to tell if he’s anything more than a fill in.   Looks like a Spencer Ware bruiser JAG to me.   

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

You’re just making up narratives to suit your bias.   As far as we know McCoy and DW are the leaders of this backfield.   While one is out, Darrell is a nice play.   Too early to tell if he’s anything more than a fill in.   Looks like a Spencer Ware bruiser JAG to me.   

I've got no bias.  I'm simply pointing out that it's funny to call the guy who's hurt for the second time this year the threat while calling the guy who's practicing and playing injury prone.  Who's making up narratives?  Did Damien Williams not get hurt first?  Has been out of practice since the injury?  Did he not irritate their HC because he spent half his preseason watching because of injury?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1