NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

Joe Odam

What I find odd is that nobody seems to know how bad Damien is.  That should be out by now...he's been hurt for like a week and a half.  Is it a bone bruise or not?  They haven't even given us a timetable on him.  Day-to-day?  Week-to-week?

If anyone has something from a team source on what he has and how long he will be out, please post it.  Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

It depends on the cuff. Cuff Dalvin and Zeke? Yes. They actually have RB1 potential backups in waiting. Cuff a stud RB with a JAG? No. It's a waste of a roster spot. I own Saquon and wasn't interested one bit in Gallman then or now.

Hubris in action,  folks 👆 

The truth is none of us know which rbs will go down, and how the backups will perform in their stead.  Gallman is a great flex this week.  

4 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

What I find odd is that nobody seems to know how bad Damien is.  That should be out by now...he's been hurt for like a week and a half.  Is it a bone bruise or not?  They haven't even given us a timetable on him.  Day-to-day?  Week-to-week?

If anyone has something from a team source on what he has and how long he will be out, please post it.  Thanks.

I mean 3 separate beat reporters said it was a bone bruise.  Unless you think all three were speculating/piggy-backing each other's report, it is fair to read that as an implication they got the info from a team source.  You're right though seems like a simple question to follow-up with the coach about.

6 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Seeing the same thing you are-  just keep an eye on practice reports.   Tomorrow and Friday will be the real tests. 

53 minutes ago, kevinwayne20 said:

I've got no bias.  I'm simply pointing out that it's funny to call the guy who's hurt for the second time this year the threat while calling the guy who's practicing and playing injury prone.  Who's making up narratives?  Did Damien Williams not get hurt first?  Has been out of practice since the injury?  Did he not irritate their HC because he spent half his preseason watching because of injury?   

Which of these tell you that he’s lost his starting job?    The dude is hurt.   Everything else is people seeing what they want to see.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Hubris in action,  folks 👆 

The truth is none of us know which rbs will go down, and how the backups will perform in their stead.  Gallman is a great flex this week.  

I did say "potential". I don't cuff unless I have pretty high confidence in the backup or it is an RBBC where value exists. If I had top RBs like Zeke and Cook I'd get their backups. If Zeke or Cook went down, you know they'd be the most valuable free agent out there. You pretty much don't need to worry if you have them on your bench. Hubris is going out there thinking your RB is invincible then stupidly leaving their high value backup in free agents or letting some schmuck put him on the end of their bench waiting for an injury. And the truth is, we have a pretty good consensus on how Mattison and Pollard would perform in their stead. A far less dart throw than others out there.

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

I did say "potential". I don't cuff unless I have pretty high confidence in the backup or it is an RBBC where value exists. If I had top RBs like Zeke and Cook I'd get their backups. If Zeke or Cook went down, you know they'd be the most valuable free agent out there. You pretty much don't need to worry if you have them on your bench. Hubris is going out there thinking your RB is invincible then stupidly leaving their high value backup in free agents or letting some schmuck put him on the end of their bench waiting for an injury. And the truth is, we have a pretty good consensus on how Mattison and Pollard would perform in their stead. A far less dart throw than others out there.

Are they?   Neither have started an NFL game.    And neither have half the opportunity that Gallman (and potentially Darrel Williams) have right now.    Opportunity > Perceived Talent when it comes to cuffs.   Happens every year some guy perceived as a bum gets the right break and becomes a weekly starter.   

Welcome to your opinion of course, but I’d drop Mattison or Pollard in a New York minute for Barkley’s backup slated for 15+ touches.   

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Which of these tell you that he’s lost his starting job?    The dude is hurt.   Everything else is people seeing what they want to see.  

I'm confused. Where in any of my quotes did I  say he's lost his RB.  I said it's crazy to call McCoy injury prone when it's been Williams who's been consistently injured this year.

He is hurt.  KC losing their starting RB is exactly how he got the starting job in the first place.  Given how unbelievably useless he's been with his carries this year I wouldn't at all be surprised if that's how he loses that job.  Still premature to say anything other than Williams is the more injury prone of the 2 players.  

15 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Are they?   Neither have started an NFL game.    And neither have half the opportunity that Gallman (and potentially Darrel Williams) have right now.    Opportunity > Perceived Talent when it comes to cuffs.   Happens every year some guy perceived as a bum gets the right break and becomes a weekly starter.   

Welcome to your opinion of course, but I’d drop Mattison or Pollard in a New York minute for Barkley’s backup slated for 15+ touches.   

I think you need to go back to my original reply. You are taking what I said out of context. I never ever said keep a cuff over Barkley's backup or Darrel Williams. The original statement from the person I replied to was basically, "This is why you cuff." I said there are only certain instances when I feel comfortable wasting a roster spot on a cuff.

Edited by FitzMagic

The Chiefs have been mum about Damien Williams's injury.  But the missed, not limited, practices and the early rule-out last week point to something at least somewhat serious.

On the other hand, they have not put him on IR.  So they do not expect him to be out for 8 weeks.

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The Chiefs have been mum about Damien Williams's injury.  But the missed, not limited, practices and the early rule-out last week point to something at least somewhat serious.

On the other hand, they have not put him on IR.  So they do not expect him to be out for 8 weeks.

Yea if it was a contusion vs. a knee bone bruise I would think he would be practicing by now.  But no one knows for sure.

12 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

It's not just that the Chiefs have been mum about it....the media doesn't seem to care.  They can simply ask Reid for the diagnosis and the timetable.  Or ask Damien.

If Mahomes or Kelce or any other key Chiefs player were missing games and sitting out practice, we definitely would know exactly what they are dealing with and how long they will be out.  They asked McCoy and Reid about McCoy's ankle, multiple times.  Heck, there was an article posted about McCoy's ankle, his rehab, and how Reid praised him for his approach to his injury.  Meanwhile, not a single reporter has gotten a quote from Damien on what he's dealing with? 

Speaks volumes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The whole offseason was 100 pages of debating:

- Whether Damien was a JAG and could hold onto the starting job for a whole season

- Whether Damien could stay healthy for a whole season since he’d never had more than 50 touches in a year

It’s too bad we never got answers to those questions since he ended up in a 50/50 timeshare by the time the season even started, and got hurt by Week 2.

😉😉😉😉😉😉😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gufomel said:

The whole offseason was 100 pages of debating:

- Whether Damien was a JAG and could hold onto the starting job for a whole season

- Whether Damien could stay healthy for a whole season since he’d never had more than 50 touches in a year

It’s too bad we never got answers to those questions since he ended up in a 50/50 timeshare by the time the season even started, and got hurt by Week 2.

😉😉😉😉😉😉😉

hmm

• Haha 2