Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

Yeah I think saying someone's in a "joke league" because they may have to drop Damien Williams is harsh.  He's definitely droppable in 10-teamers.  Even in 12-teamers, if you have a good roster, I could see how you might have to drop him.  For instance, in my 12-teamer with six bench spots, here's my current bench: Kittle, Alshon, Melvin Gordon, AJ Green, Ronald Jones II, DJ Chark.  You could argue that if Williams came available I should drop Chark or Jones for Williams and I would probably do so because I have McCoy.  But what if I didn't?  Does Williams really have more upside now than a player like Ronald Jones (or, to be less parochial, other guys who may be on rosters as RB4s or RB5s like Gallman, one of the SF RB mess like Coleman/Breida, Devin Singletary / Frank Gore, Penny, Kenyan Drake who may be traded, Chris Thompson who may get big passing game volume on a terrible team, etc.)?  I'd rather have Williams than a lot of these guys but it's not free from doubt.   

Furthermore, what if you need production now and can't afford to sit on Williams?  KC has been very cagey about his injury and we have no idea when he's coming back.  Is it worth stashing a player who may give you zeroes for 2-3 more weeks and then may be "1B" or worse when he comes back?

Comparison to Penny is ridiculous.  Penny was a first round pick by this regime last year and is behind a RB who has lost three fumbles already.  If Penny were healthy today he might have the reins already in the most run-heavy offense imaginable.  Penny's upside is huge because he has talent.  Williams is just a bet on role, and currently he has none.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's ironic that after months of discussing, debating McCoy, Dam. Williams, Dar. Williams, and Thompson that the most valuable Chiefs RB turned out to be Hyde.

If McCoy comes to chiefs and pushes Williams out, I am not drafting next year until about 20 minutes before the season begins 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

Yeah I think saying someone's in a "joke league" because they may have to drop Damien Williams is harsh.  He's definitely droppable in 10-teamers.  Even in 12-teamers, if you have a good roster, I could see how you might have to drop him.  For instance, in my 12-teamer with six bench spots, here's my current bench: Kittle, Alshon, Melvin Gordon, AJ Green, Ronald Jones II, DJ Chark.  You could argue that if Williams came available I should drop Chark or Jones for Williams and I would probably do so because I have McCoy.  But what if I didn't?  Does Williams really have more upside now than a player like Ronald Jones (or, to be less parochial, other guys who may be on rosters as RB4s or RB5s like Gallman, one of the SF RB mess like Coleman/Breida, Devin Singletary / Frank Gore, Penny, Kenyan Drake who may be traded, Chris Thompson who may get big passing game volume on a terrible team, etc.)?  I'd rather have Williams than a lot of these guys but it's not free from doubt.   

Furthermore, what if you need production now and can't afford to sit on Williams?  KC has been very cagey about his injury and we have no idea when he's coming back.  Is it worth stashing a player who may give you zeroes for 2-3 more weeks and then may be "1B" or worse when he comes back?

Comparison to Penny is ridiculous.  Penny was a first round pick by this regime last year and is behind a RB who has lost three fumbles already.  If Penny were healthy today he might have the reins already in the most run-heavy offense imaginable.  Penny's upside is huge because he has talent.  Williams is just a bet on role, and currently he has none.

 

spacer.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

So I’ve been digging around there’s no real info on what his knee injury is? 

 

It's one of the strangest things I've seen in awhile how there is absolutely zero talk on exactly what his injury is and what his time table is. 

I think the fact that he's missed as much time as he has probably suggests a bone bruise even though I've seen nothing mentioning that and it's pure speculation on my part.  I'd just think if it was a "normal" bruise he'd be back out there by now. 

I would think that Andy Reid has to be getting a little frustrated with how much time he's missed over the past couple months and with the fact he didn't play all that well in the two games he did play.  It's not like we're talking about Barry Sanders here.  We're talking about a guy that was probably darn near out of football after his stint with the Dolphins until the second life he found after the Hunt release. 

As a Damien owner in one of my leagues, I'm pretty concerned.  I had been thinking about trying to trade for him in my other league but I'm forgetting that as I just don't want him.  I picked up Darrel instead in that league.  Hopefully one of them has nice value this year.

Edited by tts42572
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately his injury strikes me as something that drags on for 2 or 3 weeks without much - if any - progress, before being ultimately put on IR. We've seen such things quite often in the past. Especially if Darrel produces again better numbers than Damien in his 2 games.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, frog34 said:

Unfortunately his injury strikes me as something that drags on for 2 or 3 weeks without much - if any - progress, before being ultimately put on IR. We've seen such things quite often in the past. Especially if Darrel produces again better numbers than Damien in his 2 games.

 

I think you're right here.

I've seen Dr Chao speculating this could be up to a 4 week injury and if they aren't careful it's something that could get worse.  So they'll likely exercise extreme caution.  Here's an article I saw with Chao talking about a bone bruise for Big Ben awhile ago.  Ben had an MCL sprain and a bone bruise and Chao seemed to suggest the bone brusie was worse than the MCL sprain.  Again, not sure this is what Damien has but if he does, it might explain some things...

What is a bone bruise? It is not a simple contusion that is treated with ice and managed symptomatically. A deep bone bruise is essentially a microscopic fracture, much like a ligament sprain is a microscopic tear. I am not suggesting it is a true fracture that needs surgery or casting, but there is compromise to the integrity of the bone in order to get the swelling/fluid inside the bone.

Think of the bones of the knee being covered by articular cartilage like the dirt of the football field has grass on top. When an elephant stomps on the grass, the dirt underneath can be damaged/compressed. In order to allow the grass (articular cartilage) the best chance to rejuvenate and heal, you can’t keep playing football on it. The “keep off the grass” sign allows a chance to heal.

Last year, Broncos LB Danny Trevathan was placed on short-term IR for a bone bruise. As a result of recurrent injury, he needed offseason surgery. I am not suggesting this will happen to Roethlisberger, but the top Steelers medical staff will have this in mind as they allow their QB to return to play.

The injury would be simple and reliable if just a grade 2 MCL. Rehab and a brace would have Roethlisberger back in a couple weeks. The bone bruise is the worry here. We all know big Ben’s reputation for toughness and quick healing. That applies as he returns from MCL sprain, but a bone bruise can’t be rushed. Don’t expect him back before four weeks and it could be six weeks or more. Celebrate that there is no season-ending ACL tear, but there is still a significant injury to deal with.

https://nationalfootballpost.com/monday-morning-md-bone-bruise-is-not-just-a-pain-thing/

Edited by tts42572
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chippa said:

Damien. Easy decision. When he’s healthy, he’s a rb2 in ppr leagues with high touchdown upside.

 

penny needs to have a carson injury to be relevant, and even then, he’d be a high end rb2

 

Damien needs injuries to Shady and Darrel Williams to be relevant, and to not be injured himself.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chippa said:

Damien, when healthy, is the main pass catching back on this squad. This offense regularly gets to the redzone. Damien doesnt even have to be the "starter".

 

Sony Michel is the starter on New England right? I'd rather have White

 If only McCoy could catch passes. 😂

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sell this guy for what you can. McCoy is the featured back when healthy and it’s most likely that the other Williams has jumped Damien in the pecking order. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chippa said:

Damien, when healthy, is the main pass catching back on this squad. This offense regularly gets to the redzone. Damien doesnt even have to be the "starter".

 

Sony Michel is the starter on New England right? I'd rather have White

 

You're sure about this?

Your evidence is probably the usage through week 1 and 2, where they were deployed in this manner. 

The counter to that is McCoy had only been on the team for like 10 days.  Also, last year, KC did not use their RBs in this manner.  They rode 1 guy.

It wasn't clear and frankly, still isn't clear.  It could very well be that Reid will have the NE model.  It's not decided though.  We need to see what happens when McCoy and Damien are both fully healthy.  More importantly, when McCoy is healthy.  If he is off the injury report and still in a timeshare with Darrel, then we know it's a timeshare no matter what.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StevenSC400 said:

So I’ve been digging around there’s no real info on what his knee injury is? 

 

I heard a bone bruise.   That can be a few weeks-  it’s all about pain and swelling.   Frankly I’m a little relieved to have a clear idea of who to start LOL.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

Yeah I think saying someone's in a "joke league" because they may have to drop Damien Williams is harsh.  He's definitely droppable in 10-teamers.  Even in 12-teamers, if you have a good roster, I could see how you might have to drop him. 

Wait, if you have a good roster couldn't you afford to wait on him? If you have a bad roster you need to win now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, a guy in one of my leagues dropped him (cool story I know) and I don't blame him... But I added him and I think he will have value later in the season and those who can withstand the wait (ie: a good record and a good outlook) should consider waiting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...