NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

Joe Odam

3 minutes ago, Deke said:

This game showed Damien is the guy to own, but it doesn't really matter if KC continues to approach their play calling this way. Didn't bother trying to establish the run and it brought down the entire offense.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. They don’t even pretend to pretend to establish the run. The play calling needs to normalize to some extent..Jesus, any extent. Just has to. Cause I can’t go on living like this. The only silver lining in this debacle, and whether this actually turns out to be a silver lining or not remains to be seen, is that just one week after narrowly escaping a loss on the road against an inferior opponent, KC follows that up with an actual loss - only at home, and to a team they were even more heavily favored/expected to hammer; and one that was missing three defensive starters - including their hands down best defender (Darius Leonard) and likely second best from the defensive side of the ball (Malik Hooker) to boot. So perhaps, as Sam Cooke would say, Change gon’ come, ohhhh yes it (hopefully) will.

9 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Didnt see the game so is there any positive to that horrible line?

Early in the game Damien got two consecutive end zone targets from about the 10.  First one Mahomes hesitated and the window kind of closed.  Second one was on tight coverage but I would’ve liked to see Damien dive for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 touches for Damien, 2 for McCoy. Damien played a ton more snaps as well. Sure is quiet in here without the McCoy believers proclaiming him the starter who's going to steal away the touches while Damien rides the bench...

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

12 touches for Damien, 2 for McCoy. Damien played a ton more snaps as well. Sure is quiet in here without the McCoy believers proclaiming him the starter who's going to steal away the touches while Damien rides the bench...

McCoy was in the dog house after the fumble, which is why he only had 2 carries

13 minutes ago, street sharks said:

McCoy was in the dog house after the fumble, which is why he only had 2 carries

2 receptions. Zero carries. A coach doesn't bench a quality player he values for an entire game because of a fumble. See Chris Carson. 

10 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

2 receptions. Zero carries. A coach doesn't bench a quality player he values for an entire game because of a fumble. See Chris Carson. 

The Chris Carson that got 4 touches in the 2nd half  vs NO after he fumbled?

Edited by Itachi_is_the_goat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Oh, so you're going to be leading the charge on this again, huh? Hilarious.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, SkittleMania said:

Yeah, it kind of was.

Was Damien also supposed to block the guy that was in the back field as he got the handoff? It wasn’t like he hesitated or didn’t hit the hole. He didn’t even have the opportunity. It was an awful 4th and 1 play call

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dexter75 said:

A run-first team with no equal in carson (not even close) on the roster vs a team with with no rushing identity where rushing is an afterthought.  Poor comparison.

4 hours ago, matthew berry said:

Early in the game Damien got two consecutive end zone targets from about the 10.  First one Mahomes hesitated and the window kind of closed.  Second one was on tight coverage but I would’ve liked to see Damien dive for it.

2nd one was a beautifully thrown pass to the middle of the end zone that glided overhead  and hit Dwill right on the fingers... He should have made a greater effort to secure the ball; like you said, dive or at least extend the arms fully (come'on, man!).

Still promising on the usage. McCoy was introduced on TV as the starter, even though it was Dwill in the backfield and with considerably more usage.  Unfortunately, Shady still looked more explosive on his few touches.

5 hours ago, Deke said:

This game showed Damien is the guy to own, but it doesn't really matter if KC continues to approach their play calling this way. Didn't bother trying to establish the run and it brought down the entire offense.

True but this won't continue for the entirety of the rest of the season. Reid has always abandoned the run out the blue for several games a year. This got masked by him consistently producing RB1s but both things could be true because 1) the RBs produced a lot in games they were heavily used 2) he always used RBs in the passing game so that kept their floor from crashing when they didn't get carries.

The last time Reid really abandoned the run was with Hunt in 2017. It coincided with a losing streak. When he started running again, the team resumed winning.

The Chief's RB rotation was predictable. Darrell Williams was basically a 6th lineman on pass plays when he was in. Damien was the guy for every carry. McCoy disappeared but in previous games he was used as a non-passing situation RB. One thing that made Reid's RBs succeed in the past is you couldn't guess usage based on who was in because his lead RB did everything. That's the big problem with present day committees IMO: most of them announce the play before the snap. If you want committees, get people who are interchangeable in terms of skills.

Simple conclusion after watching every KC game this season: Damien Williams aint it, Chief. 

In games Damien has played in/started:

Chiefs are 2-1 ; Chiefs are averaging 60 rushing yards per game. 427 total offensive yards per game. 

In games where Damien has been out:

Chiefs are 2-0 ; Chiefs are averaging 131.5 rushing yards per game. 470 total offensive yards per game.

This game against the Colts pretty much confirms Damien is not the most effective back on the team. I expect his snap count/share to begin to decrease weekly starting next week. I dont even want/need to get into Damien's personal numbers- we all know how bad they are, but now one can see how he is effecting the teams play.

"Men lie, women lie, but the analytics dont," some famous last words from the #GOAT Antonio Brown.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

Simple conclusion after watching every KC game this season: Damien Williams aint it, Chief. 

In games Damien has played in/started:

Chiefs are 2-1 ; Chiefs are averaging 60 rushing yards per game. 427 total offensive yards per game. 

In games where Damien has been out:

Chiefs are 2-0 ; Chiefs are averaging 131.5 rushing yards per game. 470 total offensive yards per game.

This game against the Colts pretty much confirms Damien is not the most effective back on the team. I expect his snap count/share to begin to decrease weekly starting next week. I dont even want/need to get into Damien's personal numbers- we all know how bad they are, but now one can see how he is effecting the teams play.

"Men lie, women lie, but the analytics dont," some famous last words from the #GOAT Antonio Brown.  

A train wreck of a post capped off by quoting the biggest clown in sports.   Well done.  👏 

i suppose we aren’t going to mention McCoys fumble on one of a handful of touches,  or Darrel (the plodmaster) Williams crushing the leg of their starting lineman in pass pro.    

Abysmal performance all around for KC. 

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Fact is Dam Williams led this backfield and he runs some nice pass routes, that first drive was great and the Chiefs went away from everything and let Mahomes throw 25 yard passes all night.  The offense was so predictable Colts just teed off knowing it was a deep drop pass.  They should have done way more running plays, screens and draws.  That was Matt Nagy like play calling. 

19 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Looked great this week. He managed 2.6 ypa which is almost a 75% increase over his prior production.  If he keeps working really hard he may eclipse 3.0 ypa in some game this season.  That’s way more important than KC winning.

Haha, so true.  I also get a chuckle out of the people who claim him "almost" catching a 20 yard TD pass as a positive when he flat dropped it.  Guy is hot garbage.  Reid lost this game with his complete refusal to run the ball on a team that was without Darius Leonard.  They didn't even try, when the game was within a score the entire time until the end.  They called 11 runs in a 19-13 game where they were down their top 2 WR.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Ugh.  What now?  It would almost be better if Damien went off and we had some clarity here, but he was bad.  The guy just isn't a good runner.  It's not totally clear why McCoy was benched like that.  It could have been the fumble but he started the next series.  It does look like Damien is the pass catching back at a minimum, as they appeared to be in comeback mode even though they were only down 3. 

I think those long Colts drives spooked them and KC sort of panicked.  They were going for home runs instead of trying to establish an offensive rhythm.  Logically, it wasn't the worst thing to attack the Colts secondary as they were down 2 starters.  I just think they overdid it and relied on Mahomes too much.  And when the Colts started eating away at the clock, I think KC felt like they wouldn't be getting many possessions in the 2nd half and they had to score quick.

Damien likely isn't going away.  I've been on the McCoy bus this whole time but last night indicated to me that we're looking at a split all year unless someone gets hurt seriously, and then it's probably Darrell in there.  I seriously doubt McCoy is going to be out of the picture either without injury.

This is a mess.  I would assume both McCoy and Williams are low end RB2's and you should treat them this way when setting your lineup.

• Like 1