NBC Sports Edge Forums

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's ironic that after months of discussing, debating McCoy, Dam. Williams, Dar. Williams, and Thompson that the most valuable Chiefs RB turned out to be Hyde.

If McCoy comes to chiefs and pushes Williams out, I am not drafting next year until about 20 minutes before the season begins 

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, kdpat15 said:

Damien will continue to lead this backfield...you all are overthinking it. better pass protection beats out everyone else

Agreed 100%. Way too much overthinking. He's not that good but his pass protection is really the only thing that matters. 

1 hour ago, Brownsfan74 said:

This is exactly it.  Who is gonna start next week?  Let's look at each one -

Damien - He just lost a fumble that was returned for a TD and a major reason they lost.  Reid has already punished McCoy (very publicly) for the same offense.  He is almost compelled to punish Damien or it will look like he applies rules only to certain players.  If McCoy belongs in the doghouse for fumbling, so does Damien.  Sure he finished the game, but McCoy was inactive.  Who knows if he would have suffered the same fate and McCoy would have been put in?

Dude, that was Damien William's first fumble this season, and he didn't have a single fumble in 2018. It wasn't like he dropped the ball, or was carrying it away from his body like a loaf of bread. He was going down, had the ball relatively well protected, and the defender punched it out. 

Here's a clip of McCoy's last fumble against the Packers. It isn't the simple fact that he fumbled, because every back fumbles, even the greats. It's HOW he fumbled. That, along with the fact that he's awful in pass protection (has been his entire career), is why he got benched. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001070680/LeSean-McCoy-gifts-Packers-a-fumble

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

I thought McCoy wasn't starting because of pass protection was subpar?

If people think McCoy was benched because of pass pro, then someone explain to me why he was dominating snap counts week 5 thru 8.  He was the primary guy right up until the fumble in the 3rd quarter of week 8.  Damien was healthy that entire time.

5 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

If people think McCoy was benched because of pass pro, then someone explain to me why he was dominating snap counts week 5 thru 8.  He was the primary guy right up until the fumble in the 3rd quarter of week 8.  Damien was healthy that entire time.

Matt Moore was QB

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Most teams don't want to go from their 2nd stringer to their 3rd.

More like, losing their star QB they had to generate offense other ways such as running instead of passing. McCoy is a better runner than Williams. Now that Mahomes is back, the importance shifts from running back to pass protection.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, yanksman said:

More like, losing their star QB they had to generate offense other ways such as running instead of passing. McCoy is a better runner than Williams. Now that Mahomes is back, the importance shifts from running back to pass protection.

Reasonable point but I don't agree.  Your implication here is that Damien would have gotten the job back even if McCoy didn't fumble.  I don't believe that would have been the case.  McCoy had outplayed Damien severely and they were putting the best RB on the field.  McCoy was no longer the best after ball security problems showed up.

Just now, Brownsfan74 said:

Reasonable point but I don't agree.  Your implication here is that Damien would have gotten the job back even if McCoy didn't fumble.  I don't believe that would have been the case.  McCoy had outplayed Damien severely and they were putting the best RB on the field.  McCoy was no longer the best after ball security problems showed up.

I think its more like the fumble opened the door again for Damien and coaches realizing he was healthy again and a better fit with mahomes.

2 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Just because a player is active doesn’t mean he’s healthy. Even if he’s out there taking some snaps, again, doesn’t mean he’s healthy. They were clearly easing Damien back in from his injury. He’s back to 100% and McCoy is bench fodder. Unless you actually believe he needed rest from his heavy usage of 12 touches a game lol. Time for the McCoy truthers to just admit they were terribly wrong about him this year, it’s over, 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Haha 1
57 minutes ago, yanksman said:

I think its more like the fumble opened the door again for Damien and coaches realizing he was healthy again and a better fit with mahomes.

Come on.  McCoy was very clearly punished (and still being punished) for the fumble.  He would still be the primary carrier had he not done that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/10/2019 at 8:43 PM, yanksman said:

Huh? I'll take that every day of the week out of my flex.

Yeah, I like drafting flex players in the 2nd/3rd round too... 

Breaking News!!!! The KC RB situation is a dumpster fire. The fantasy guru play is to immediately drop all KC RB’s and hope your future opponents pick them up.....one man’s trash is another man’s garbage. 

12 hours ago, Dexter75 said:

Just because a player is active doesn’t mean he’s healthy. Even if he’s out there taking some snaps, again, doesn’t mean he’s healthy. They were clearly easing Damien back in from his injury. He’s back to 100% and McCoy is bench fodder. Unless you actually believe he needed rest from his heavy usage of 12 touches a game lol. Time for the McCoy truthers to just admit they were terribly wrong about him this year, it’s over, 

You continue to amaze me, Dexter75, with your narrative. "Ease him back in"? If that was the case, you'd expect a gradual snap share increase right, but Damien came back week 5 and played 56%. Then 38%, 30%, 42%, and then finally 72%. What part of that sounds like he was being eased in? Also who gets eased in for 4 weeks straight? If he's hurt, he's not going to play hobbled for 4 weeks. 

Also we were wrong about Damien? It's week 11 and he has 91 fantasy points. Ok I'll disregard his injured weeks and lets see...hmm, he seems to be at 11.4 PPR PPG or RB33 for the season. A RB4 that was taken within the top 10 rbs. Boy, he sure is great isn't he?

Edited by Itachi_is_the_goat
5 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

You continue to amaze me, Dexter75, with your narrative. "Ease him back in"? If that was the case, you'd expect a gradual snap share increase right, but Damien came back week 5 and played 56%. Then 38%, 30%, 42%, and then finally 72%. What part of that sounds like he was being eased in? Also who gets eased in for 4 weeks straight? If he's hurt, he's not going to play hobbled for 4 weeks. 

Also we were wrong about Damien? It's week 11 and he has 91 fantasy points. Ok I'll disregard his injured weeks and lets see...hmm, he seems to be at 11.4 PPR PPG or RB33 for the season. A RB4 that was taken within the top 10 rbs. Boy, he sure is great isn't he?

Well McCoy only played 6 snaps week before last, so there’s that. Call it what you want, it’s obvious Williams in their lead back, just like he was before he got hurt. 

Edited by Dexter75

Breaking News:

KC backfield is unpredictable, unreliable, and minimally productive 

McCoy will show up again at some point, Williams will not completely disappear, and the other Williams will still be around

Neither will be anything but a gamble week to week

Damien probably has the best odds in any given week... but it still ain't pretty 

15 hours ago, yanksman said:

This is exactly correct. Nuthin' other than that to say about it. Just as you said, Williams isn't that good; by no means terrible, more average than bad I'd even say, but definitely not good as far as doing starting running back as a job for a football team in the National Football League for a living in general goes. But he is pretty good, some might even say very good, at the pass protection component part to his job. And knowing with Mahomes and all that surrounds with he and his situation, it's really rather simple that - at least for the time being, and likely even longer - pass protection is numero uno, above all.

Edited by Chest-Rockwell
  • Like 1

Dexter, I'll give you that the McCoy truthers definitely look wrong, he hasn't emerged as the high-end RB2 we hoped when we snagged him before the season.

But you have to admit that you've had some opinions that have been—at the very least—somewhat inconsistent on Damien Williams.

This post in September has you defending Williams and the fact that he's not a scrub.

On 9/7/2019 at 9:46 AM, Dexter75 said:

I had Damien Williams when Hunt was out. 416 yards from scrimmage and 6 TDS over 3 games, I’ll take that all day every day. Hunt never had a 3 game stretch that good last year. Not to mention two of those games were against top 12 rush defenses. Then in the playoffs, Williams ran right thru the very good Colts 8th best rush defense for 129 yards and 2 TDs, making them look silly in the snow. Seriously, go back and watch some of those runs and tell me Williams is a scrub lol

And this one has you mentioning that neither McCoy or Williams is any good.

On 11/11/2019 at 2:48 PM, Dexter75 said:

It was summed up best in Sundays game thread. Williams is a turd and McCoy is a fart. Neither one is any good. 

These posts have you saying how it's obviously going to be an RBBC and how you dropped Williams because he wasn't going to be an obvious starter

On 9/21/2019 at 1:28 PM, Dexter75 said:

Reid knows RBs. I doubt he thought for even one second that Damien Williams was some bell cow back lol. He was left with no choice but to roll with him end of last year after Hunt got the boot (pun intended) and Ware got hurt. If he thought Willams was some kind of bell cow, he wouldn't have 3 other RBs on the roster and say he was going to play a RBBC this year. None of these guys are anywhere near Hunt's level and with Mahomes on the epic roll he is, there is zero need for a bell cow back in KC. They have become a pass first offense. 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/8/9/20798069/andy-reid-confirms-chiefs-will-be-implementing-running-back-by-committee

On 9/30/2019 at 1:15 PM, Dexter75 said:

I dropped him last week for Chris Thompson because I already have McCoy and Darrel Williams and dont feel like owning the entire Chiefs backfield when I only have 5 bench spots. He was my 3rd round keeper pick I only paid $5 for thankfully, but I think he's lost his starting job. Reid has done it to more talented backs in the past. FWIW, he was immediately picked up by someone else in our league.  

On 10/2/2019 at 7:28 PM, Dexter75 said:

I owned all 3 too up until last week when I dropped Damien. I couldn’t justify owning 3 backs from the same team, especially when one was injured, 

On 10/3/2019 at 4:33 PM, Dexter75 said:

If all 3 of them play (which is my fear and why I got rid of McCoy and both D. Wills), you are going to tear your hair out every week trying to figure which one will go off. Its going to be like Belitricks. Will it be Sony, White or Burkhead with the big game? No one knows. 

But in this quote today you mention that Williams is obviously the lead back and that he always has been when he's not injured.

1 hour ago, Dexter75 said:

Well McCoy only played 6 snaps week before last, so there’s that. Call it what you want, it’s obvious Williams in their lead back, just like he was before he got hurt. 

I actually think you have some good insights at times, but you have to see you've adamantly held some inconsistent positions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
On 11/11/2019 at 3:04 PM, Dexter75 said:

Damien was the starter until he got hurt. McCoy took over until Williams was back and ready to go. Hes the starter again, McCoy is bench fodder, just like I have been saying since August. 

Funny.  You were right since August but you were one of the first people in fantasy football to dump Damien Williams for nothing.  You'd been telling people to cut him since week 3.  You don't get to claim to be right when you cowardly ran from Damien Williams as fast as you'll ever see anyone run from a player in FF.

I know it sounds better when the story is 100% fabricated but Damien Williams absolutely did not take the starting job back once he was ready to go.  This last week was the first start he'd gotten since week 5, when he lost the role to McCoy.  McCoy was benched because of fumbles, not because he's washed up.  Quite honestly it's misinformed and ignorant to claim that McCoy is "washed up".  He's still a 5+ yard per carry back who's leading the Chiefs in rushing despite not being their leader in carries.  

None of us know why he's not playing but it certainly has nothing to do with him being "washed up".

Edited by kevinwayne20
  • Like 2