NBC Sports Edge Forums

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

6 hours ago, SenatorSpaceman said:

Umm relax. 

I’ve voiced my opinion on DW through many many posts in this thread and I’ve been attacked every time. Haven’t seen so much anger in a player thread since Christine Michael and the tone of this thread shouldn’t be tolerated.  

Sorry for commenting. I’ll try to put the brakes to this repeated lambasting, whatever the hell you’re referring to. 

Forgive me, I hadn’t noticed your previous posts - I didn’t mean to be rude.  I did notice that you had repeatedly called for discussion in this thread to be stopped, which I think would be unfortunate.  DW is obviously a polarizing player in the forefront of people’s minds as we approach draft season.  I think a simple appeal by the mods for civil, courteous discussion was the right course here.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's ironic that after months of discussing, debating McCoy, Dam. Williams, Dar. Williams, and Thompson that the most valuable Chiefs RB turned out to be Hyde.

If McCoy comes to chiefs and pushes Williams out, I am not drafting next year until about 20 minutes before the season begins 

Posted Images

On 7/24/2019 at 11:28 PM, Mkrak23 said:

Mack?  Dude might be a rb1 this year.  Why the hate?  Colts might be no 1 offense in the nfl...they have a better qb than mahomes...luck.  Yes, Luck might be the best QB in the nfl right now.  Yes mahomes can be argued as the no 1, but dude played one season.  I need two at the minimum before I even consider calling him the greatest QB in the nfl.   

Mack won't get receptions or 3rd downs....

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

This should be good fodder for the Williams haters.

What haters?  I guess it’s one of my pet peeves that some of those who have a strong favorable opinion of a player label anyone who disagrees with them as “haters”.  I haven’t seen anyone here yet who hates Williams.  It’s just a matter of assessing the risk associated with him.  

There are some who think his risk is minimal and lump him into low risk bell cow territory with or just below guys like Zeke, Bell, etc and believe that barring injury that there is nothing that could prevent him from getting the vast predominance of RB work for KC.  And it’s based upon his production in 3 games - arguable 4 games - over a 5 year career.

There are others, including me, who look at the remainder of his career to date beyond those 3 games as well as various other factors and are skeptical to varying degrees that there is surety in his projected workload this coming season.

The vitriol in the discourse seems to stem from the inability of one side of the debate to recognize that the other side might have some reasonable points and therefore that the other side simply could not possibly be correct, and even moreso feels the need to diminish them on a personal level because of it.

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Like 7
3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

This should be good fodder for the Williams haters.

Hey elroypedro, I know that preseason hasn't even started yet but a hamstring issue for Williams already isn't a good sign.  Those injuries tend to linger.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Hey elroypedro, I know that preseason hasn't even started yet but a hamstring issue for Williams already isn't a good sign.  Those injuries tend to linger.

Use the "@" before the username so they get a notification. I feel like it's only fair when calling a guy out that that you let them know.

Like so.

@sjm76 dont ya love it when the world immediately proves your point. 

3 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Use the "@" before the username so they get a notification. I feel like it's only fair when calling a guy out that that you let them know.

Like so.

@sjm76 dont ya love it when the world immediately proves your point. 

I didn't bother posting an "@" icon because I know that his stooges like you would let him know.

@elroypedro and others like you who are talking up Williams like he's the next great rb had better just hope that the injury is minor and not another Leonard Fournette situation like last year.

Edited by sjm76
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, MayorMcCheese said:

58 page thread less than 2 days into training camp. Just incredible. 

That's because it's obvious that there are a lot of people on Williams' jock based on such a small sample size of 5 games or so at the end of last year.  Though @elroypedro may call me a liar, the fact is that a good share of "experts" did view Williams as strictly a 3rd down/passing down back for the NFL for a reason.  Miami gave him a chance to be the main guy a couple years ago but he got injured and didn't put up eye-popping stats when he was healthy and eventually replaced by Kenyan Drake.  It's possible that the light finally came on for him at the end of last season but now he's injured with a hamstring issue.

Edited by sjm76
1 hour ago, sjm76 said:

Miami gave him a chance to be the main guy a couple years ago but he got injured and didn't put up eye-popping stats when he was healthy and eventually replaced by Kenyan Drake.  

Could you further explain this statement?

7 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

What haters?  I guess it’s one of my pet peeves that some of those who have a strong favorable opinion of a player label anyone who disagrees with them as “haters”.  I haven’t seen anyone here yet who hates Williams.  It’s just a matter of assessing the risk associated with him.  

There are some who think his risk is minimal and lump him into low risk bell cow territory with or just below guys like Zeke, Bell, etc and believe that barring injury that there is nothing that could prevent him from getting the vast predominance of RB work for KC.  And it’s based upon his production in 3 games - arguable 4 games - over a 5 year career.

There are others, including me, who look at the remainder of his career to date beyond those 3 games as well as various other factors and are skeptical to varying degrees that there is surety in his projected workload this coming season.

The vitriol in the discourse seems to stem from the inability of one side of the debate to recognize that the other side might have some reasonable points and therefore that the other side simply could not possibly be correct, and even moreso feels the need to diminish them on a personal level because of it.

You're clearly new here. For 90% of threads, anyone who enters a thread and doesn't support the said player in that thread is automatically a hater. That's why if you don't take things with a grain of salt damn near every player will be a must draft. 

• Like 1

As for Williams, there's 3 things that matter in no particular order.

1. Talent

2. Volume

3. Team

1 and 2 are often linked to each other although not always. That being said, I feel like Williams doesn't have great talent nor will he have great volume. You are basically banking on him playing on an extremely elite team. There's plenty of guys around him who have elite talent and will get volume. They may not be on the best offense in the league but in my opinion that doesn't single-handedly make you worth more than a guy like Chubb for instance. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

You're clearly new here. For 90% of threads, anyone who enters a thread and doesn't support the said player in that thread is automatically a hater. That's why if you don't take things with a grain of salt damn near every player will be a must draft. 

Looks like I’m going to get tagged as a hater some more.  I tend to lean a bit contrarian, I guess I’m a bit too analytical and realistic.

That won’t keep me from pushing back a bit on those who try to simplify arguments to where they lose their original intent or to trying to bully people into groupthink.  I tend to learn the most from adversarial discussions as long as they don’t wade into personal insult territory, so I’m a strong advocate for some back-and-forth.  In the end, I’ll openly own it if I’m wrong.  After all, we all are enough...

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, Gohawks said:

As for Williams, there's 3 things that matter in no particular order.

1. Talent

2. Volume

3. Team

1 and 2 are often linked to each other although not always. That being said, I feel like Williams doesn't have great talent nor will he have great volume. You are basically banking on him playing on an extremely elite team. There's plenty of guys around him who have elite talent and will get volume. They may not be on the best offense in the league but in my opinion that doesn't single-handedly make you worth more than a guy like Chubb for instance. 

If he doesn't have the volume, then who will on the Chiefs? I differ in my view. He will have #2 and #3. I've already posted about why I don't think he is a particularly talented runner, but that doesn't matter as much when he is in that offense. He is their best pass catcher at RB and a reliable presence that will get what is blocked and run where the play is designed to go.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, devaster said:

If he doesn't have the volume, then who will on the Chiefs? I differ in my view. He will have #2 and #3. I've already posted about why I don't think he is a particularly talented runner, but that doesn't matter as much when he is in that offense. He is their best pass catcher at RB and a reliable presence that will get what is blocked and run where the play is designed to go.

This^

It's all about opportunity in this case. And the skillset he does have happens to match up very well with the offense/system he is in. The opportunity is there for the taking for Williams.