NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

Joe Odam

17 hours ago, BMcP said:

Full quote on Williams: “Obviously, he’s the starter. We need to make sure that Damien continues to do the things that he needs to do in order to help himself to be ready when called upon—things in the training room w/ Rick (Burkholder), and that’s going to take care of itself.”

Full quotes>>>>>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akooreman180 said:

This might be over analyzing haha, but I think the word obviously is important. Compared to them just saying “he’s the starter” it shows they haven’t even considered anyone else to start. 

It’s Bieniemy.  If you take his word as gospel, KC will have 3 RBs in the Pro Bowl.

22 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

It’s Bieniemy.  If you take his word as gospel, KC will have 3 RBs in the Pro Bowl.

That’s true. However he is the OC so I’m sure he wouldn’t just say that Damien is the starter without there being a high chance that he remains the starter. 

I'm admittedly struggling with Williams in preparation for drafts this year. He unfortunately goes against one of my rules of not drafting RBs that emerged late in the season last year. These type of guys always seem to burn people the following year with their inflated ADPs. CJA, Zac Stacy, Jeremey Langford, etc. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, kidsgotsoul said:

I'm admittedly struggling with Williams in preparation for drafts this year. He unfortunately goes against one of my rules of not drafting RBs that emerged late in the season last year. These type of guys always seem to burn people the following year with their inflated ADPs. CJA, Zac Stacy, Jeremey Langford, etc. 

I'm with you.  This guy is very tough to evaluate.  It's true that he emerged last year and quite often they bust (just look at Alex Collins last year), but there are examples of RB's who cashed in on their potential the following year (David Johnson).  The hard part is figuring out what he is.

On one hand, he is going to be in a monster offense and he has proven that he can produce at a very high level.  On the other hand, his performance does have red flags (i.e. his elusiveness was terrible last year), so he could lose his job if another back emerges, like this Darwin Thompson guy.

The coaching staff can say all they want that Williams is the guy, but the bottom line is that they want to win games and if there's a better RB on the roster, they will play him.  Spencer Ware found that out last year.

If you get him, you absolutely have to take his handcuff early to guarantee yourself the KC RB production.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I'm with you.  This guy is very tough to evaluate.  

On one hand, he is going to be in a monster offense and he has proven that he can produce at a very high level.  On the other hand, his performance does have red flags (i.e. his elusiveness was terrible last year...

Source on that claim re: “elusiveness”?  DW excels at avoiding would-be tackles - I believe he recorded more missed tackles than any RB in the divisional round last season.

As for who he is?  Athletically, he’s an elite talent at the RB position: speed, burst, vision, juke-ability, etc...he has it.  The main questions for him, as I see it, can he enter the season at 100% and can he maintain that level of performance over an entire NFL slate of games.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Source on that claim re: “elusiveness”?  DW excels at avoiding would-be tackles - I believe he recorded more missed tackles than any RB in the divisional round last season.

As for who he is?  Athletically, he’s an elite talent at the RB position: speed, burst, vision, juke-ability, etc...he has it.  The main questions for him, as I see it, can he enter the season at 100% and can he maintain that level of performance over an entire NFL slate of games.

Sorry, I think "elusiveness" may have been a bad choice of words.  What I'm referring to is actually in Rotoworld's KC team preview. 

"The argument for Williams is still purely one from an opportunity standpoint as PFF charted him with just eight broken tackles and a poor yards-after-contact average (2.52) on 73 regular season touches."

So, he may be good at making people miss (i.e. elusiveness), but he doesn't break tackles.  Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Sorry, I think "elusiveness" may have been a bad choice of words.  What I'm referring to is actually in Rotoworld's KC team preview. 

"The argument for Williams is still purely one from an opportunity standpoint as PFF charted him with just eight broken tackles and a poor yards-after-contact average (2.52) on 73 regular season touches."

So, he may be good at making people miss (i.e. elusiveness), but he doesn't break tackles.  Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for clarifying - I appreciate the response and info!

2 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

It's true that he emerged last year and quite often they bust (just look at Alex Collins last year), but there are examples of RB's who cashed in on their potential the following year (David Johnson).  The hard part is figuring out what he is.

Johnson was a rookie though when he broke out. As soon as he got an opportunity as a pro, he excelled. Williams has a track record almost five full seasons long of being a shelf turd. If he were a rookie last season, or even somebody like Collins who many people had never seen or heard of before he broke out, I think it'd be easier for fantasy owners to buy into the Williams hype. 

Justin Forsett is probably the closest situational comparison, but I feel like even he was more highly regarded in his early years than Williams was. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SenatorSpaceman said:

Johnson was a rookie though when he broke out. As soon as he got an opportunity as a pro, he excelled. Williams has a track record almost five full seasons long of being a shelf turd. If he were a rookie last season, or even somebody like Collins who many people had never seen or heard of before he broke out, I think it'd be easier for fantasy owners to buy into the Williams hype. 

Justin Forsett is probably the closest situational comparison, but I feel like even he was more highly regarded in his early years than Williams was. 

If Williams gets the touches JF did before he got manhandled by Aaron Donald in 2015 I would be v happy. 

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

So what's the source of your "elite talent" claim?

16 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Williams is an elite athlete at the RB position while also being a talented runner and pass catcher. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/article/damien-williams-advanced-stats-metrics-analytics-fantasy-football-profile/

Any other questions?

Edited by BMcP

21 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Williams is an elite athlete at the RB position while also being a talented runner and pass catcher. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/article/damien-williams-advanced-stats-metrics-analytics-fantasy-football-profile/

Any other questions?

Who wrote that evaluation? What are their credentials? It's littered with inaccurate info. Doesn't acknowledge the others backs on the team and the final blurb says he's a great zero RB target?

The other problem with that write up is despite apparently being such an athlete, why did it take him so long to break out? It took a specific series of events last year for him to get playing time. Perhaps he's just not that good, and Reid's offensive scheme produces great RB performances. Maybe Williams smashes this year, but it's stuff like this which is why people like me are skeptical in investing a draft pick at his price. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Any other questions?

Not trying to pick a fight or cherry pick information but I think that article proves he is an elite athlete not an elite talent.

To me an elite talent would mean he is an elite RB. And an elite RB succeeds almost no matter what situation they're in. Like saquon, or shady, or DJ.

Kalen ballage has is almost as athletic as saquon Barkley, look at it on player profiler he's an insane athlete but he is certainly not an elite RB. The kid couldnt even make it as the starting RB in college at Arizona state.

However damien may also be elite we just havent seen it yet. 

2 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Not trying to pick a fight or cherry pick information but I think that article proves he is an elite athlete not an elite talent.

I literally initially wrote the following: “Athletically, he’s an elite talent at the RB position....”

12 minutes ago, kidsgotsoul said:

Who wrote that evaluation? What are their credentials? It's littered with inaccurate info. Doesn't acknowledge the others backs on the team and the final blurb says he's a great zero RB target?

The other problem with that write up is despite apparently being such an athlete, why did it take him so long to break out? It took a specific series of events last year for him to get playing time. Perhaps he's just not that good, and Reid's offensive scheme produces great RB performances. Maybe Williams smashes this year, but it's stuff like this which is why people like me are skeptical in investing a draft pick at his price. 

You should be able to determine a lot of these answers for yourself, if you simply read the article.  Please don’t be lazy.

The article also does acknowledge another back on the team, as of the time of its publication.

I believe the answer to your final question is: Adam Gase.

Edited by BMcP

Just now, BMcP said:

I literally initially wrote the following: “Athletically, he’s an elite talent at the RB position....”

Whoopsie.. sorry I only saw this and your rebuttle. Bravo.  Carry on.

48 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BMcP said:

Any other questions?

I don't necessarily agree with the source of data, nor its method of calculation (particularly items like "Speed Score"), but I respect you having something to back your claim.  At some point, a guy's 40 yard dash should be an irrelevant measurement in year 6 of his career when that player has never carried over 50 times.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BMcP said:

Any other questions?

Just for argument sake, here is a very similar athletic comparison:

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/christine-michael/