NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Dallas Cowboys 2019 Outlook

parrothead

Macro view most of the team is young and contractually in tact moving into 2019.  Their schedule is I believe NFC North and AFC East - which IMO the AFC East is worst division in football, so strength of schedule overall despite winning the division will be similar.  

My honest view is that this team will be in the mix for an NFC East title, but likely cant advance too far in the playoffs unless there is a serious coaching change.  Jason Garrett is a good coach if you are simply trying to get your team to not quit and play hard for you, despite several seasons where things could have maybe gone south, for the most part he has never "lost the lockeroom" and a season that should be maybe 8-8 or 6-10 he can turn that 6-10 perhaps into 8-8 or 8-8 to 9-7 or 10-6 because his teams play hard for him.  That said, if they want to move on in January past the Wild Card or Divisional round, much like NBA teams who make coaching changes from a coach who led them to credibility maybe to someone who they feel can win a championship, they need to make a bold move. 

I dont see that happening - sure Linehan will probably be fired, but what OC are you going to bring in who will be permitted to make a lateral move that is a dynamic innovative play-caller?  Jason Garrett is keeping you from getting where the Franchise and its fans want it to go.  My expectation - prediction is this:  Garrett will be given an extension in the coming weeks, Linehan will be let go probably replaced with some archaic connection to the past like Ken Zampese whose father Ernie was Cowboys OC for their last super Bowl and coached Garrett.   

Offensively it will look much the way it did this year - Question marks:

1. Travis Frederick - All Pro Center can they get him back?  Will help all parts of the offense

2. Tight End - do they continue to piece it together with Jarwin, Swain and Dalton or do they make a draft pick, trade or free agent signing?

3. Back up RB/3rd down scat back - Smith carries went nowhere, I think you see them make a 3rd or 4th round pick for more of a change of pace back

4. WR - I think Cooper will be high end WR2 in the fantasy game. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cashvillesent said:

I think they need QB help. Dak isnt the answer, although Garrett does nothing to cater to his strength. Not sure why the coaching staff is still employeed. If they believe in Dak they need better coaching up Dak.

This is it in a nutshell. Dak does some things pretty well and he seems to the kind of leader you want.   Unfortunately, he misses some of the easiest throws that a QB has to make.  The play calling doesn’t help but that doesn’t matter if he can’t make non-hurried throws to wide open receivers.

Garrett and Dak shouldn't be extended if they want to have future growth and success. But Jerry is planning on extending both. Dallas will continue to wallow in mediocrity. The offensive scheme and play-calling need a massive overhaul, which won't happen with Garrett at the helm.

The defense is solid and has a great core nucleus of elite and young players. I wonder if they will be able to keep Lawrence though. Their pass rush would take a big dip if they lose Lawrence.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, devaster said:

Garrett and Dak shouldn't be extended if they want to have future growth and success. But Jerry is planning on extending both. Dallas will continue to wallow in mediocrity. The offensive scheme and play-calling need a massive overhaul, which won't happen with Garrett at the helm.

The defense is solid and has a great core nucleus of elite and young players. I wonder if they will be able to keep Lawrence though. Their pass rush would take a big dip if they lose Lawrence.

They’re in a bad spot and I don’t think they realize it yet.   Like you said, with Dak and this staff, they’ll just tread water.   And they are going to have to pay a lot of players within the next 2 years if they want to keep them.  

6 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

I think they need QB help. Dak isnt the answer, although Garrett does nothing to cater to his strength. Not sure why the coaching staff is still employeed. If they believe in Dak they need better coaching up Dak.

I kind of used to say the same thing about Romo in terms of him needing a new voice, other than Parcells his first year as a starter, it was JG for most of the rest of his career until end had a year of Linehan (maybe 2).  

Given the fact they dont have a 1st round pick (traded for Amari) and really is not much on the FA market they would pursue, the reality is that its gonna be Dak for another year, which is fine.  Really need a new offensive staff.  

6 minutes ago, parrothead said:

I kind of used to say the same thing about Romo in terms of him needing a new voice, other than Parcells his first year as a starter, it was JG for most of the rest of his career until end had a year of Linehan (maybe 2).  

Given the fact they dont have a 1st round pick (traded for Amari) and really is not much on the FA market they would pursue, the reality is that its gonna be Dak for another year, which is fine.  Really need a new offensive staff.  

It is going to be Dak for the next 5 years. Dak wasn't a 1st round rookie. Which means he is getting a long-term extension this offseason (next season is the last year on his rookie contract).

• Like 1

well that was quick. Yikes.  Can fix stupid and apparently you can't fire it either (Prez ;)  )

I agree with a lot said here in this thread so far.  Seeing Linehan returning is sickening overall.  Just look at the numbers (yes i know plenty of its on Dak as well)

Bottom line, I think this offense can be better/more creative, and i also think Dak can be better.  Good coaching helps players progress. Bad coaching sticks players into a mold they aren't.  Dak is clearly a poor pocket passer, yet Linehan wants him to stand in there and be Matt Stafford.  The lack of designed plays to get Dak mobile is baffling.  Its Daks best feature to this point in his career.  His mobility and ability to make plays outside the pocket and with his legs.  Just see that throw on the run across his body deep to Gallup Sat night.  Tough throw on the run, great catch by Gallup i will add.

That all being said, I will ask you all this, every one keeps saying " got to get rid of Dak"  "Dak isn't the answer"  .......and that may be/probably is true.. BUT lets try and be somewhat realistic here, whats the alternative in this small window the Cowboys have ahead? Esp since Dak's contract isn't up until AFTER 2019 season.  It simple to say just dump Dak. But then what? I just don't see an alternative to just dump Dak that is realistic TBH.  Dak isn't great, he's a cookie cutter system QB like the majority of this league is. He's also won a LOT of games so far.  I believe he can improve, but not with this coaching staff.  Im not sure anyone can lol

• Like 2

Personally, I don't think Dak is the answer.  But I agree with much of what you said.   If they are going with Dak (which they clearly are), they need to change up the play calling.  

At the least, I hope they can get a new QB coach in there that will work with Dak.

Give Jerry Jones credit he traded for Amari and they made the playoffs.

Unfortunately I'm not excited that it's the same old coaching staff coming back next season on offense.

Defense is significantly better and improving.

I think zeke is a top 3 rb next season, I think Amari finishes top 12 with his big play ability and continued rapport with Dak but expect some dud weeks, just fewer of them

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

I would like to see them trade for Brate or another established tight end.

Dak will be one of the hardest choices in 2QB next year. If his production was a bit more predictable he would be a surefire late QB.

I actually think they are OK at TE.   I don't know that upgrading makes much sense given their other needs.   And the fact they don't have a 1st round pick next year.

4 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Give Jerry Jones credit he traded for Amari and they made the playoffs.

Unfortunately I'm not excited that it's the same old coaching staff coming back next season on offense.

Defense is significantly better and improving.

I think zeke is a top 3 rb next season, I think Amari finishes top 12 with his big play ability and continued rapport with Dak but expect some dud weeks, just fewer of them

Yeah...I do have to give them that.   I thought that was a colossal blunder at the time.  Not that I didn't believe in Cooper but I just didn't think it would improve the team enough to justify giving up a 1st rounder.  

I'm not sure any additions to the offense would help at all. The issues appear to be with Dak and the play-calling. Both of which aren't changing going forward is my belief. Dak is unlikely to support more than 1 viable receiver weekly in that offense. Fantasy-wise Zeke will continue to eat and be the most reliable and productive player on the team. Amari will be better than he was early 2018 in Oakland, but I expect much of the same from him in his first couple years in Oakland. Some really big weeks and a bunch of no-shows.

I just don't see anything changing regarding Dak unless they bring in a new coaching staff and play-calling to better suit his strengths. He has regressed under Garrett since his rookie season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, devaster said:

I'm not sure any additions to the offense would help at all. The issues appear to be with Dak and the play-calling. Both of which aren't changing going forward is my belief. Dak is unlikely to support more than 1 viable receiver weekly in that offense. Fantasy-wise Zeke will continue to eat and be the most reliable and productive player on the team. Amari will be better than he was early 2018 in Oakland, but I expect much of the same from him in his first couple years in Oakland. Some really big weeks and a bunch of no-shows.

I just don't see anything changing regarding Dak unless they bring in a new coaching staff and play-calling to better suit his strengths. He has regressed under Garrett since his rookie season.

I think the improved defense nad special teams helps out Dak more than new offensive weapons will.

They will shorten the field for him and limit the potential mistakes he would make on full field drives

57 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

well that was quick. Yikes.  Can fix stupid and apparently you can't fire it either (Prez ;)  )

I agree with a lot said here in this thread so far.  Seeing Linehan returning is sickening overall.  Just look at the numbers (yes i know plenty of its on Dak as well)

Bottom line, I think this offense can be better/more creative, and i also think Dak can be better.  Good coaching helps players progress. Bad coaching sticks players into a mold they aren't.  Dak is clearly a poor pocket passer, yet Linehan wants him to stand in there and be Matt Stafford.  The lack of designed plays to get Dak mobile is baffling.  Its Daks best feature to this point in his career.  His mobility and ability to make plays outside the pocket and with his legs.  Just see that throw on the run across his body deep to Gallup Sat night.  Tough throw on the run, great catch by Gallup i will add.

That all being said, I will ask you all this, every one keeps saying " got to get rid of Dak"  "Dak isn't the answer"  .......and that may be/probably is true.. BUT lets try and be somewhat realistic here, whats the alternative in this small window the Cowboys have ahead? Esp since Dak's contract isn't up until AFTER 2019 season.  It simple to say just dump Dak. But then what? I just don't see an alternative to just dump Dak that is realistic TBH.  Dak isn't great, he's a cookie cutter system QB like the majority of this league is. He's also won a LOT of games so far.  I believe he can improve, but not with this coaching staff.  Im not sure anyone can lol

Its tough to see the pathway without a 1st round pick and not a great number of appealing free agent options to "Dump Dak" Your best bet is to try to coach him up at this point.  Reading what Garrett said made me want to throw up in my mouth - my only hope at this point is that the team does not want to rock the boat staff wise since they are coaching the Pro Bowl, then maybe after the pro bowl you will see some movement.  

• Like 1

Just now, parrothead said:

Its tough to see the pathway without a 1st round pick and not a great number of appealing free agent options to "Dump Dak" Your best bet is to try to coach him up at this point.  Reading what Garrett said made me want to throw up in my mouth - my only hope at this point is that the team does not want to rock the boat staff wise since they are coaching the Pro Bowl, then maybe after the pro bowl you will see some movement.  

Agree 100%.   I listened to that radio interview as it was happening earlier.  105.3 the Fan def put JG on the spot and i did tell myself, no way Garrett has settled all this with Jerry/Stephen yet and no way he would say over the radio air waves he's firing Linehan without it coming directly from the Cowboys FO first.  So maybe there is still hope but it feels unlikely.   I also think, if you are talking about extending Garrett, why bring back Linehan?  The only way i'd think Linehan should or would return is if you keep both his and Garretts butt on the hot seat all 2019.  Then if the S the bed, you fire them all and go clean slate into 2020. Maybe promote Richard IDK. Just thinking out loud here.

Heard this on the radio also and laughed/cried:   "Amari Cooper not only cost the Cowboys a first round pick, he also cost them a Jason Garrett extension"  

32 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I think the improved defense nad special teams helps out Dak more than new offensive weapons will.

They will shorten the field for him and limit the potential mistakes he would make on full field drives

They have had a good defense now for a couple years. And it hasn't remedied the play-calling woes, Garrett, or Dak's inadequacies. Just don't see anything changing for the new few years.

Dallas is in the worst spot a sport franchise can be.

The entire point is to win a championship or at least be in serious contention for one. When a team is terrible, they realize they need to make drastic changes and that is how teams become contenders. 

Dallas doesn't think they are terrible and are good with what they have. The problem is, Dak isn't all that great by today's standards and their coach isn't very good either. So as long as they have those two they won't ever truly contend. If they get rid of one of them and find a great replacement than maybe. I mean, you look at their team and they had a great overall defense, elite RB, great line, and good WR. If you gave this team to a guy like Wilson or Rodgers they would likely be the best team in the NFL. Minus the QB and coach, the roster is extremely good.

If I was running the team i'd leave the team for this year. It's pretty late now to fire a coach. When they fall short of expectations again next year fire the coach. Then try to trade into the top 3 in an extremely deep QB class without giving up too much talent. If they're lucky, one of those teams won't need a QB and will be willing to trade for some picks. If they can't trade up, take a guy like Easton at QB. 

• Like 1

@DerrickHenrysCleats  throw a guy a bone here.  I see you have me as a bit confused on my original statement in this thread. No one's been more confused then you in this forum over the years, so overall maybe I'm a gluten for punishment here. But what kind of feedback you have for me regarding my statement?  I felt its a pretty straight forward take on it all.  If you have any sort of answers or ideas regarding Dak's replacement I'm all ears.  Its why i brought up the question and topic.  Im not defending or advocating for Dak as a good player.  He has many flaws.  I honestly just don't see many options or scenarios for replacement at this time. What say you?

13 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

@DerrickHenrysCleats  throw a guy a bone here.  I see you have me as a bit confused on my original statement in this thread. No one's been more confused then you in this forum over the years, so overall maybe I'm a gluten for punishment here. But what kind of feedback you have for me regarding my statement?  I felt its a pretty straight forward take on it all.  If you have any sort of answers or ideas regarding Dak's replacement I'm all ears.  Its why i brought up the question and topic.  Im not defending or advocating for Dak as a good player.  He has many flaws.  I honestly just don't see many options or scenarios for replacement at this time. What say you?

Nick Foles

Nick Foles would be an intriguing grab. And they definitely have a chance to move on from Dak. Philly wouldn't trade Foles to Dallas if the plan is to opt into his 2019 contract and trade him for compensation better than a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2020. The media seems to think that is what the Eagles will do. I'm more of the mindset that Philly lets Foles walk and are content getting the 3rd round compensatory pick a year later.

I don't want Foles to be ruined by Garrett though. Foles has his own fundamentals issues. Going to Dallas won't mask those. He needs a guy like McVay.

11 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Nick Foles

does Doug Pederson come with him?  lol

I've def thought about him.  He's never proven to be worth a dang though outside of Philly.  Granted, he was also apart of some terrible coaching staffs.  Hey, maybe he does fit right in, in dallas :)    Foles will be looking for substantial money.  He's also turning 30 in a matter of days.  All in all, just not a realistic option for Dallas, which is what I'm asking and looking for.  Dak has one more year on his contract.  No chance they dump Dak and sign Foles to a long term deal for big money

Edited by BlakeP42

4 minutes ago, devaster said:

The media seems to think that is what the Eagles will do. I'm more of the mindset that Philly lets Foles walk and are content getting the 3rd round compensatory pick a year later.

I'm puzzled as well as to why the media is driving that narrative as well.  I know Wentz hasn't been healthy, lower body injury plus back issues is no good. but thats a lot of money for Philly to absorb for a back up QB. Esp when you figure in they are in the crapper money wise already heading into 19'.  I figure they let Foles walk and he gets paid elsewhere.  My gut feeling is, whoever pays him will also be very disappointed by the end of that contract. Maybe even mid way through it