NBC Sports Edge Forums

Sony Michel 2019 Outlook

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The top backs on my waiver wire right now are Dexter Williams, Dare Ogunbowale, and Gus Edwards. Not sure what kind of leagues you guys play in but Michel is not waiver wire fodder. He's still the sta

Sony Asiata

It really is funny at this point... 2018: Rex-5th round, Michel-8th round, White-11th round (if I remember correctly).  White finished highest in PPR, Michel close behind and better in standard.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, dicka24 said:

I won't cut him because Burkhead gets dinged up.  It was with Rex out that Michel really broke out last year. 

Yes, but he had Develin.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, rocket said:

Anyone reach the point of just cutting him, especially in a shallow league?  I've been tempted, I got to say.  I would probably value Jordan Howard over Sony right now -- at least he's got a top offensive line.  Hanging on to Sony means believing the other Pat's RBs get hurt- like 2018.  Burkhead is a little dinged up   so it's possible.  If the offensive line starts playing better, especially since they got their tight end, Ben Watson, back from suspension, they might be able to get something going on the ground.  The Pat's playing without a TE a lot this year is probably a factor in Sony's lack of rushing production -- the Pat's really miss Gronk, he was very underrated as a blocker.  

They get Ben Watson back this week, how is he as a blocker?

9 minutes ago, jpark211 said:

If Sony can't produce against WAS this week... it may be time for... drop city

I'm done offering trades for Michel...just going to wait for folks to drop him.  Also....I'm keeping a really close eye on the Damien Harris status as the weeks go on....anything indicating that Harris is dressing and possibly going to see some game time...I am pouncing.  

26 minutes ago, jpark211 said:

If Sony can't produce against WAS this week... it may be time for... drop city

He rode the bench last week, thinking about giving him a start this week, and if he doesn't produce, he might as well change his permanent address to "my damn bench forever"..

56 minutes ago, jpark211 said:

They get Ben Watson back this week, how is he as a blocker?

He might not be the best blocker, but his mere versatility and threat as a pass catcher may open things up.  Right now, the Pat's TE's who have been playing have 4 receptions after 4 games (and don't scare anyone on D) and the TE's usually play when Sony is on the field.  If Watson is a bigger threat at the TE spot, it can make it harder for defenses to figure out whether its a pass or a run.  Just a bit more confusion for the defense could help open up running lanes.  Last year, the Pat's most efficient passing came when Sony was on the field, because that opened up the passing game, as defenses were focused on the run.

Edited by rocket
  • Like 1

No problem dropping Michel or any other NE RB to be honest. They just spread the ball around too much - that's why they win. Every week is a new game plan to keep opponents guessing.

He's probably have 2, MAYBE 3 weeks of 20 points, but he'll also give you some really average performances...or worse. I just can't deal with that kind of inconsistency in a FF lineup. May as well stream someone.

The top backs on my waiver wire right now are Dexter Williams, Dare Ogunbowale, and Gus Edwards. Not sure what kind of leagues you guys play in but Michel is not waiver wire fodder. He's still the starting RB on one of the league's best offenses and in the top 10 for rush attempts. 

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Cord said:

The top backs on my waiver wire right now are Dexter Williams, Dare Ogunbowale, and Gus Edwards. Not sure what kind of leagues you guys play in but Michel is not waiver wire fodder. He's still the starting RB on one of the league's best offenses and in the top 10 for rush attempts. 

Well all I can say is I dropped him easily, and it would take more then a few weeks of 15+ performances to make me start regretting it. I watch the games, and I just don't like what I see from the Pat's run package with him in the game. It's a RBBC right now, and has been since the beginning of the season. In a 10 team league, I don't see him as a must start. He's a must bench for sure though. lol

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Cord said:

I was just checking to see who was ahead of Sony and names like Pollard, Miles Sanders, Breida, Barber, Mostert, Duke Johnson, Royce Freeman, etc. Not saying those are all waiver guys, just saying. He and Damien Williams are tied in points and DW has missed two games already.

I already dropped him for qb depth.  There’s really no match up that I would start him moving forward.  I already have White and he’s the best player in that backfield.  He has 27 points through 4 games, which is pathetic compared to everyone else that’s starting,  

4 hours ago, FooserX said:

Well all I can say is I dropped him easily, and it would take more then a few weeks of 15+ performances to make me start regretting it. I watch the games, and I just don't like what I see from the Pat's run package with him in the game. It's a RBBC right now, and has been since the beginning of the season. In a 10 team league, I don't see him as a must start. He's a must bench for sure though. lol

Mind sharing who you dropped him for? 

4 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

I was just checking to see who was ahead of Sony and names like Pollard, Miles Sanders, Breida, Barber, Mostert, Duke Johnson, Royce Freeman, etc. Not saying those are all waiver guys, just saying. He and Damien Williams are tied in points and DW has missed two games already.

Obviously it depends on your league. I understand Michel's stock is down and people are frustrated. He is not performing to ADP (though his ADP was probably too high, anyway, especially in PPR leagues). But I'm in a 12-team league, and you've seen what I'm seeing on the wire, so I'm glad he's my RB4. I get dropping him in small leagues depending on your needs. I just think people may regret dropping him because he does still have a lot of value simply by virtue of his situation if not also because he does have some talent. 

Still getting 15.5 carries per game, 5th in carries inside the redzone and 8th in carries inside the 5. 2 TDs despite not breaking a single tackle in 62 carries. Last season did happen, Sony did average 10.3 standard PPG in the regular season then totally dominated in the playoffs.

I've already rejected a couple of lousy offers for him in my big league (standard, short bench) so I know there's probably a market for him in a lot of leagues and its because everyone knows what the payoff could be if this guy does manage to get on track,

19 minutes ago, rex_bulkhead said:

Still getting 15.5 carries per game, 5th in carries inside the redzone and 8th in carries inside the 5. 2 TDs despite not breaking a single tackle in 62 carries. Last season did happen, Sony did average 10.3 standard PPG in the regular season then totally dominated in the playoffs.

I've already rejected a couple of lousy offers for him in my big league (standard, short bench) so I know there's probably a market for him in a lot of leagues and its because everyone knows what the payoff could be if this guy does manage to get on track,

It’s gonna be hard for him to get back on track with the injuries on the O line and Develin. The line is part of the issue not just michel

9 minutes ago, babyfaceassasin said:

It’s gonna be hard for him to get back on track with the injuries on the O line and Develin. The line is part of the issue not just michel

I agree the injuries there have hurt, but I have confidence in NE to figure this out. As long as Sony keeps his job I'll want to keep him on my team, even if it's just on the bench.

I'm trying to decide whether to flex him this week over Matt Breida and Tyrell Williams, should be my RB4 but going deeper into my bench with Saquon out. I agree that he's not droppable, and I think there are worse flex options in 12-team leagues than a guy with 62 carries through 4 games. Definitely don't think he's droppable, although I'd love to bench him if I had a better option.

The only good news I see is he has some cake matchups in the future. I want to drop him so badly but feel like as soon as I do he’s going to revert to his form from last 8 weeks of 2018. If I see the rookie start getting touches Sony is gone without hesitation.

Sony owners are going to get trade offers for him, as I've seen him listed in at least one article as a buy low candidate.  Plus having Ben Watson should help open the offense when Sony is on the field.  Here are some exerpts from expected contributions from Watson:

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/09/ben-watson-patriots-running-game/

"In his second stint with the Patriots, Watson has evolved into more of a blocking tight end as his career has droned on, something he was noted for in his time in New Orleans. While having a veteran presence and a tight end familiar with Tom Brady and the New England offense back in the fold is helpful, it will especially benefit the Patriots running game.

New England has struggled to move the ball on the ground, but it’s no coincidence feature back Sony Michel has had his two best games when the team had multiple tight ends active.

Although his run-blocking grade, according to Pro Football Focus, has gone down over his career, Watson is still effective at the craft when needed. He took 206 run-blocking snaps in 2018, receiving a grade of 55.5 which isn’t as bad as it seems but also isn’t terrific.

Now say the Patriots decide to use Watson more as a receiving tight end? That’s where LaCosse comes into play. The young tight end has thoroughly improved as a run blocker as his snaps increased from his time in Denver to now in New England.

Looking at his performance against Miami, LaCosse provided an immediate difference in the running game by helping open holes for Michel behind the line of scrimmage. It allowed the second-year back to explode off the handoff and immediately gain positive yardage.

Even a guy like Ryan Izzo, who made his living as a blocking tight end in college, has shown improvement having a second tight end to share snaps with. But adding Watson to the mix will allow the Patriots to get more out of Michel and mix their other tight ends into the receiving game."

• Haha 1