Lourdes Gurriel, Jr. 2019 Outlook

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my lineup 

Perfect world in Jays management minds 2020 infield looks like...   1B Smoak 2B Gurriel 3B Vlad Jr SS Bichette   They are very high on Gurriel. He's going to get eve

I still think Gurriel will be an everyday player, either at short or second. They can let Galvis, Drury, and Travis divide time between the other two spots. Personally I think Travis is toast after al

11 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

6/10 3 hr 4 rbi 5 r for the weekend

Looks like that trip to the minors worked 

I want to believe, but he didn't exactly set the world on fire against triple A pitching: 128 PA, 4HR, 2.3%bb rate, 18%k rate, and a 93wRC+. I'm more inclined to believe he beat up on some crappy pitching this weekend (HR off Lucchesi, Quantril, and Wisler).

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

I want to believe, but he didn't exactly set the world on fire against triple A pitching: 128 PA, 4HR, 2.3%bb rate, 18%k rate, and a 93wRC+. I'm more inclined to believe he beat up on some crappy pitching this weekend (HR off Lucchesi, Quantril, and Wisler).

I don't think that is crappy pitching necessarily...he has had some monumental heaters in the past, I remember last year before getting injured he put together an absurd steak of games with multiple XBH or something. I am inclined to buy now and see...

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I don't think that is crappy pitching necessarily...he has had some monumental heaters in the past, I remember last year before getting injured he put together an absurd steak of games with multiple XBH or something. I am inclined to buy now and see...

it was a streak of games with multiple hits... He had 11 games straight of 2+ Hits, most in American League history, and it was only ended by a mid game injury. The MLB record is Rogers Hornsby with 13 straight.

54 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

From fangraphs pre-season write up:

"Lourdes Gurriel Jr. rode a month-long hot-streak to a .281/.309/.446 slash line over 263 plate appearances in his rookie season with the Blue Jays. What might get lost in Gurriel’s overall line is that he struggled mightily on either side of his hot streak - posting a 43 wRC+ in his first stint with the team and a 69 wRC+ after returning from an ankle sprain at the end of August. Streakiness should be somewhat unsurprising for someone who walks less than 4% of the time and strikes out more than 20% of the time..."

I do like the bat.  I should have picked him up.  We'll see tho how much all these kids play cuz Toronto does have a lot of guys to filter thru.  Vlad, Biggio, Gurriel, Glavis, Drury, etc.  There are bodies that they probably want to play for different reasons so we could see a lot of 2 days on, day off type stuff.  Maybe not tho.

35 minutes ago, Hatfieldodger said:

anything to see here? Could use some MI help until Scooter is back. 

yes he could definitely help you as a stop gap there.  He seems to be on a power binge right now.  Very solid hitter.  Not sure what his issues were earlier in the season.

1 hour ago, JetsAwesome said:

yes he could definitely help you as a stop gap there.  He seems to be on a power binge right now.  Very solid hitter.  Not sure what his issues were earlier in the season.

He had the yips. Couldn't even throw the ball from 2nd to 1st.

• 2 weeks later...

He's got the raw tools to be an All-Star type of player, and has shown (albeit briefly) that when he gets on a heater, he can put up some loud stats. With his positional eligibility, he should be owned pretty much everywhere. He also seems much more comfortable in LF, and that might be helping him at the plate now.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Tim___ said:

Another multi-hit game tonight with a HR. Is there upside here or just a guy who’s hot?

He was always projected as being better than his brother with the Astros and is seen as a really good major leaguer for years to come.  In fact Houston took Yuli originally with hopes that Lourdes would want to sign and play on the same team his older brother was on.  Didn't work out for the Astros but it did for Lourdes because no one is really going to block him in Toronto. 

Lourdes had the yips when up earlier in the year which effected him pretty badly in all aspects while dealing with it and got him sent down.  The yips are gone now and his time has come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/14/2019 at 7:20 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

He's got the raw tools to be an All-Star type of player, and has shown (albeit briefly) that when he gets on a heater, he can put up some loud stats. With his positional eligibility, he should be owned pretty much everywhere. He also seems much more comfortable in LF, and that might be helping him at the plate now.

3 more hits tonight, a triple away from the cycle, I’d say he’s playing at a near all-star level right now haha

Anyone else here feeling like if you have him late round value, that we might have a possible keeper? He was supposed to be better than Yuli. He looks like he will hit a ton. Really looks like a toolsy hitter. He’s doing what Vlad Jr was supposed to 

2 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Anyone else here feeling like if you have him late round value, that we might have a possible keeper? He was supposed to be better than Yuli. He looks like he will hit a ton. Really looks like a toolsy hitter. He’s doing what Vlad Jr was supposed to 

I was just thinkin this same thing a minute ago...

Must be the Loudes divine intervention...

12 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Just scooped him in a keeper league and surprised nobody had him. Was he supposed to have any hype behind him?

I play in three competitive 12-teamers and picked him up in all three a few weeks ago. It was like, am I missing something? He seemed to really go under the radar for some reason, despite the hit tool and SS eligibility.