NBC Sports Edge Forums

2 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

There was very little defense in the second half — I agree with the idea that if the Chiefs had won the coin toss, Mahomes would have been this year’s Super Bowl MVP.

I don’t know how you correct that issue but it doesn’t seem fair that Mahomes never got to touch the ball again after leading the team to OT with 39 seconds left on the clock.

If by “you”, you are referring to the losing team, you correct the issue by preventing the other team from scoring a touchdown. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brady is the best ever

That's why Brady is the GOAT and it's not close at this point 

“Somehow”...indeed.

Posted Images

Just now, Lamont Sanford said:

If by “you”, you are referring to the losing team, you correct the issue by preventing the other team from scoring a touchdown. 

By “you” I meant the NFL.  The coin flip at the start of the game doesn’t give the winning team much of an advantage, but the coin flip in overtime gives the winning team a huge advantage in a pass-happy league where it’s very difficult to play defense.

• Like 3
Just now, eg4190 said:

By “you” I meant the NFL.  The coin flip at the start of the game doesn’t give the winning team much of an advantage, but the coin flip in overtime gives the winning team a huge advantage in a pass-happy league where it’s very difficult to play defense.

Ya, just ask the Saints.  Oh.

2 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

It’s no more difficult to play defense in OT than it is in the 1st quarter. Both teams are equally tired and playing by the same rules in either scenario.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, devaster said:

Can't compare to every sport. NFL is best compared to Baseball. Which just keeps on going until it isn't tied at the end of an inning. Other sports have both offenses and defenses on the court/field/rink at the same time.

Actually, that would make for a really fun OT, if they would just put both team's Offense and Defense on the field at the same time ;)

Seriously, I have to say the OT rules in the NFL s#ck. The advantage to who gets to go first is just too large.
Maybe a soccer style OT could work, so first play a full quarter, then kick field goals (from further and further out)?

13 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

What is it? Like 54 % vs. 46% if you win the toss?  Really not that much of a difference. 

I think the context of the game matters here.  A 9-9 tie after regulation indicates that both offenses are having difficulty moving the ball. This was a game with something like four lead changes in the fourth quarter. Neither defense was stopping anything in the second half. Whichever team won the OT coin toss in this game was going to the Super Bowl, regardless of league-wide win percentages in overtime.

There are player safety issues with guaranteeeing each team one possession, but my issue is specifically with a random coin toss determining the outcome. Maybe the team that scored last automatically gets the ball, or had most yards from scrimmage, or something like that would be more fair even if it wouldn’t change the outcome of this game.

Edited by eg4190
1 minute ago, eg4190 said:

I think the context of the game matters here.  A 9-9 tie after regulation indicates that both offenses are having difficulty moving. This was a game with something like four lead changes in the fourth quarter. Neither defense was stopping anything in the second half. Whichever team won the coin toss in this game was going to the Super Bowl, regardless of league-wide win percentages of overtime.

The fact that “neither defense was stopping anything in the second half” doesn’t indicate a need for a rule change. It indicates a need for a change in coaching philosophy. 

A great defense would love to let the opposing team get the OT kickoff. Force a 3 & out, get the ball back, kick a FG to win.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

The fact that “neither defense was stopping anything in the second half” doesn’t indicate a need for a rule change. It indicates a need for a change in coaching philosophy. 

A great defense would love to let the opposing team get the OT kickoff. Force a 3 & out, get the ball back, kick a FG to win.

Yes and in the 90’s that mindset made sense. This is now a league where you can’t breathe on WRs or the QB without a flag coming out.  None of the elite defenses made it out of wildcard weekend.  These overtime rules are an issue in that context.

I’m sure it’s been said, but man Josh Gordon has got to be kicking himself. Pats are desperate for a weapon he was it. He could have been in the big game after being in Cleveland for the first part of his career and probably even been big part of the pats attack.

6 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Yes and in the 90’s that mindset made sense. This is now a league where you can’t breathe on WRs or the QB without a flag coming out.  None of the elite defenses made it out of wildcard weekend.  These overtime rules are an issue in that context.

Then how do you explain the Pats shutting down  the MVP and best offense in the NFL in the 1st half?

2 minutes ago, Titan said:
2 minutes ago, Titan said:

I’m sure it’s been said, but man Josh Gordon has got to be kicking himself. Pats are desperate for a weapon he was it. He could have been in the big game after being in Cleveland for the first part of his career and probably even been big part of the pats attack.

Who?