NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yeah, Brady is getting up there but I would be reluctant to bet against him on Sunday.  

Pat has won zero Super Bowls and we all know what Tom has achieved.

I wish the Chiefs all the luck in the universe.  They will need it because Bill will have a solid plan. 

Super stoked for these two games! 

Peace....

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brady is the best ever

That's why Brady is the GOAT and it's not close at this point 

“Somehow”...indeed.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

? You don't give up do you? Nothing at all is ironic. You continue to try to argue with points that aren't debatable. What's your problem?

Oh I just find it funny how them winning 11 games with Cassel is all coaching but when that same exact coaching staff wins the same amount of games with Brady it isn’t all coaching.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Oh I just find it funny how them winning 11 games with Cassel is all coaching but when that same exact coaching staff wins the same amount of games with Brady it isn’t all coaching.

You just don’t get it. Go troll somewhere else.

EDIT: 2009 was different than 2008. Aging defense, declining Moss, no one but Moss or Welker, Brady coming off ACL, etc. Do you research anything before spewing this nonsense because evidence says otherwise?

One more time. Stay with me...they go undefeated and have greatest offense of all time (at the time). Their QB gets hurt and their coaching and system get them to 11 wins.

You continue to argue what exactly?

If Brady didn’t get hurt, you think they only win 11 games and the passing offense throws 21 TDs? Thinking this would be the only logical reason for to be continuing to argue with me. And if you don’t, then it seems like you just have nothing better to do but argue. Either way, just go away.

Edited by ThreadKiller
47 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Do you have any reason for to be continuing to argue?  The Patriots had the best offense of all time - at the time.

21 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Well done for steering the thread into a different direction that definitely doesn't invite more bickering ;)

JMD5.gif

I think I’d rather re-watch “The X-Files” than spend more time reminiscing about the 2008 New England Patriots.

18 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I think I’d rather re-watch “The X-Files” than spend more time reminiscing about the 2008 New England Patriots.

That's fine, as long as we don't get lost in another 6 pages of what the X-files best season was :P 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BMcP said:

So the Patriots have lost their last three road AFC Championship games - they’re going to have to correct that to advance.

So, they have won there last four AFC Championship games since we have confirmed they been to 8 straight. 

14 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

So, they have won there last four AFC Championship games since we have confirmed they been to 8 straight. 

You do realize what you just wrote is untrue, correct?

Facts

Since 2000, Bill Belichick has coached 342 career games for the #Patriots (regular and postseason combined). Only seven times has his defense allowed 40 or more points. The #Chiefs, under Andy Reid, are three of those games (2014, 2017, 2018).

#Patriots this season ... 21.6 points per game on the road 32.9 points per game at home

#Chiefs pass defense on the road:

66.9% comp. rate 8.1 YPA 342 yards per game 2.4 TDs per game .4 INTs per game

#Chiefs pass defense at home:

61.2% comp. rate 6.7 YPA 248 yards per game 1.4 TDs per game 1.5 INTs per game

Most Pressures Generated in Home games (2018)

1. Chiefs (118)*

2. Rams (112)

3. Seahawks (108)

*Chiefs 12th in Pressures in road games with 92

Chiefs allow 17.4 PPG at home

Chiefs score 32.2 PPG at home

Not a 1-year blip: Chiefs have gone thirty-four straight home games without allowing 30 points

Prediction

Chiefs 37

Pats 27

Edited by Lord_Varys
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

Home games . . .?

Just pointing out it’s strange to claim they’ve won their last four AFC Championship games when that isn’t true.  

13 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Facts

Since 2000, Bill Belichick has coached 342 career games for the #Patriots (regular and postseason combined). Only seven times has his defense allowed 40 or more points. The #Chiefs, under Andy Reid, are three of those games (2014, 2017, 2018).

#Patriots this season ... 21.6 points per game on the road 32.9 points per game at home

#Chiefs pass defense on the road:

66.9% comp. rate 8.1 YPA 342 yards per game 2.4 TDs per game .4 INTs per game

#Chiefs pass defense at home:

61.2% comp. rate 6.7 YPA 248 yards per game 1.4 TDs per game 1.5 INTs per game

Most Pressures Generated in Home games (2018)

1. Chiefs (118)*

2. Rams (112)

3. Seahawks (108)

*Chiefs 12th in Pressures in road games with 92

Chiefs allow 17.4 PPG at home

Chiefs score 32.2 PPG at home

Not a 1-year blip: Chiefs have gone thirty-four straight home games without allowing 30 points

Prediction

Chiefs 37

Pats 27

I don't hate this prediction based off of these metrics. As much as I want to see the Patriots win its impossible to ignore their struggles on the road this year and how KC is one of the stadiums that really provides an advantageous home field advantage. 

I just don't know how Josh McDaniels and Bill are going to construct an offensive game plan. I could very well see them attempt the "run the ball over and over to keep mahomes off the field" game plan but there's such an inherent risk trying that on the road vs at home.. The Patriots have also proven stubborn when trying this game plan as well by not abandoning it until its too late (see the lions game this year). 

The Chiefs don't have that one variable to really overcome in this game other than dealing with the cold, which isn't substantial enough of a variable to swing predictions towards new England IMO. New England has to play a perfect game and still hope that Mahomes comes down to earth a bit in order to get to the Super Bowl, anythings possible but the Patriots have quite the uphill battle on Sunday 

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, BMcP said:

So the Patriots have lost their last three road AFC Championship games - they’re going to have to correct that to advance.

44 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpvgewEjItFQblGrplKYe

6 minutes ago, MoonBlaster said:

I don't hate this prediction based off of these metrics. As much as I want to see the Patriots win its impossible to ignore their struggles on the road this year and how KC is one of the stadiums that really provides an advantageous home field advantage. 

I think KC D matches up well, too.  We saw elite QBs like Mahomes and Brady absolutely eviscerate zone defenses in the divisional round.  The Chiefs play aggressive man defense, and they have really good pass rushers inside and out on the defensive line.  That's the formula to beat the Pats: pressure Brady to get him off his spot, play tight man coverage to get receivers off their timing.  Just make QB and WRs a tiny bit uncomfortable and those drives get disrupted.  Now, KC's cornerbacks aren't great so if Brady gets protection then they'll be fine.  And KC can be run on.  So... I think the Patriots OL needs their best game of the year to keep Brady on his spot and in his timing, and to let Sony Michel control the game.

This is where home field comes in though.  A good, loud home field like Arrowhead neuters an offensive line.  It's so much harder to control the LOS when you can't control the cadence.

I think the Pats can win this game, but I think they'll need KC to make mistakes.

Edited by Lord_Varys
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

I think KC D matches up well, too.  We saw elite QBs like Mahomes and Brady absolutely eviscerate zone defenses in the divisional round.  The Chiefs play aggressive man defense, and they have really good pass rushers inside and out on the defensive line.  That's the formula to beat the Pats: pressure Brady to get him off his spot, play tight man coverage to get receivers off their timing.  Just make QB and WRs a tiny bit uncomfortable and those drives get disrupted.  Now, KC's cornerbacks aren't great so if Brady gets protection then they'll be fine.  And KC can be run on.  So... I think the Patriots OL needs their best game of the year to keep Brady on his spot and in his timing, and to let Sony Michel control the game.

This is where home field comes in though.  A good, loud home field like Arrowhead neuters an offensive line.  It's so much harder to control the LOS when you can't control the cadence.

I think the Pats can win this game, but I think they'll need KC to make mistakes.

As a Patriots fan those are the types of games that can be frustrating to watch, when they're struggling to find any soft spots in the middle of the field McDaniels seems to love calling double-passes and deep heaves on 3rd and 4. It's these kind of match-ups where not having Josh Gordon or any type of over-the-top threat bites New England, if KC is playing effective man coverage and Gronk is no longer a consistent pass catching threat James White can effectively be neutralized in the short passing game.

I agree, if New England wins I'd expect it to be on the back of a 25ish carry game from Sony, if he can help establish a play-action passing game early New England *should* be able to control the clock.. but regardless they'll need Mahomes and Co. to get off to a slow start like they did against NE in the regular season.. some more Gronk run-blocking magic would certainly help too.

55 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Facts

yeah yeah yeah.
This is what Brady had to say about that:

And Belichick just said:

lastjoyousalpinegoat.gif?w=640&h=448

I think there's probably no better way to motivate these guys then to call them the underdog.

Patriots are fishing for motivation if they consider themselves an underdog. Most people are still picking the Patriots because of their playoff success and sustainability. Laughable really. They haven't been an underdog for some crazy amount of stretch of games. This isn't the Eagles from last season who had the likely MVP until his injury and the #1 seed in the NFC, yet they were underdogs in every home playoff game and the SB.

4 minutes ago, devaster said:

Patriots are fishing for motivation if they consider themselves an underdog. Most people are still picking the Patriots because of their playoff success and sustainability. Laughable really. They haven't been an underdog for some crazy amount of stretch of games. This isn't the Eagles from last season who had the likely MVP until his injury and the #1 seed in the NFC, yet they were underdogs in every home playoff game and the SB.

Well yes, they were the underdog because that likely MVP until HIS INJURY... you know...had his injury. 

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, devaster said:

What? Do you even follow the Patriots? The theme throughout the fan base and all through the media this year is that Brady doesn't look the same and they aren't nearly as good as they were. Most people are not picking them to win this game, Vegas included. They are the underdog this year whether some haters want to believe it or not.

What's "laughable" is when people discuss things they aren't completely familiar with while pretending they are.